Using current plan with IPHONE

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
vv4yn0

Using current plan with IPHONE

Post by vv4yn0 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:03 pm

I am currently on the mobileX plan and am considering buying an Iphone.
I was under the impression that I had a 3g service (the 3g logo shows on my phone) and that exetel's 3g service was supplied by Optus but I think at least some of that is wrong.
My mobile internet settings use the vfinternet access point so Im guessing my sim is actually vodafone supplied.

To get to the point, I can buy an iphone 3gs that is locked to Optus for a good price and want to know if I can get this all to work nicely.
I have heard also that optus locked phones work on the vodafone network but don't want to splash out on heresay.
Can anyone give a definitive answer on if it will work or alternatively what it would take to make it all work.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Wayno

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Using current plan with IPHONE

Post by jokiin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:07 pm

vv4yn0 wrote:I am currently on the mobileX plan and am considering buying an Iphone.
I was under the impression that I had a 3g service (the 3g logo shows on my phone) and that exetel's 3g service was supplied by Optus but I think at least some of that is wrong.
My mobile internet settings use the vfinternet access point so Im guessing my sim is actually vodafone supplied.

To get to the point, I can buy an iphone 3gs that is locked to Optus for a good price and want to know if I can get this all to work nicely.
I have heard also that optus locked phones work on the vodafone network but don't want to splash out on heresay.
Can anyone give a definitive answer on if it will work or alternatively what it would take to make it all work.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Wayno
the phones will work on any of the networks but you will need to get it unlocked first to use a Vodafone based service

cubic

Post by cubic » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:47 pm

The mobile plans are on Vodafone; the HSPA plans on Optus. I seriously doubt that Optus-locked phones will work on the Voda network, so if you want to use an Optus-locked phone you'll need to switch to one of the HSPA plans. Then you should check the current status of tethering if you need that - last I heard the HSPA plans didn't have the codes the iPhone demands so you'd need to jailbreak to tether successfully. Also, isn't the iPhone 850/2100 HSPA? If so, Optus's YesG 900MHz coverage won't be available to it, so make sure you're in a 2100MHz location.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

CharlB

Post by CharlB » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:34 pm

cubic wrote:The mobile plans are on Vodafone; the HSPA plans on Optus. I seriously doubt that Optus-locked phones will work on the Voda network, so if you want to use an Optus-locked phone you'll need to switch to one of the HSPA plans. Then you should check the current status of tethering if you need that - last I heard the HSPA plans didn't have the codes the iPhone demands so you'd need to jailbreak to tether successfully. Also, isn't the iPhone 850/2100 HSPA? If so, Optus's YesG 900MHz coverage won't be available to it, so make sure you're in a 2100MHz location.
Oh NO! I've just bought the WM A plan and I spent six hours on the phone to Apple, Exetel and even Optus yesterday, because I've got phone calls but no internet on my phone. Exetel said I needed to put a code word into the APN, but Apple said the APN should be automatically downloaded and inserted into the phone when I restored it.

So you're saying that the plan I just bought lacks the code entirely? I'll have to jailbreak the phone (losing warranty on a very expensive device?) in order to use the HSPA plan? If I'd known this, I'd never have bought either the phone or the plan. :-(

vv4yn0

Post by vv4yn0 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:13 pm

OH - I definantly want to have tethering available and are not willing to jailbreak.
Guess it is off to an optus shop

mycle

Post by mycle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:41 pm

If you want tethering on exetel, get an unlocked iPhone and connect it to the Voda network through a standard mobile account (eg. your current MobileX plan - just add a data pack). The Optus HSPA accounts don't support tethering at all unless you jailbreak. Nobody at exetel is interested in having discussions with Optus about fixing this.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Go to unlockit.co.nz from your phone and enter the Exetel APN, away you go.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:22 pm

James wrote:Go to unlockit.co.nz from your phone and enter the Exetel APN, away you go.
doesn't allow tethering if later than version 3.0 firmware, I gave up even thinking about tethering as I'm not interested in running older firmware or having to jailbreak

vosadrian

Post by vosadrian » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:42 am

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am in a similar situation.

I am currently on Mobile X and very happy with this plan. However I have a very old GSM phone and wish to upgrade to an iphone. I was planning to just purchase an iphone directly from apple unlocked. From reading above, I believe that the best way to enable the full 3G capability of the iphone whilst continuing with Exetel is to continue on my Mobile X plan and add a data pack. This way I can just move my sim from my old phone to the iphone and the data pack will enable the 3G for internet etc.

Just after confirmation from someone in the know that my understanding above is heading the right direction before purchasing the phone.

Thanks,

Adrian

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:01 am

vosadrian wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am in a similar situation.

I am currently on Mobile X and very happy with this plan. However I have a very old GSM phone and wish to upgrade to an iphone. I was planning to just purchase an iphone directly from apple unlocked. From reading above, I believe that the best way to enable the full 3G capability of the iphone whilst continuing with Exetel is to continue on my Mobile X plan and add a data pack. This way I can just move my sim from my old phone to the iphone and the data pack will enable the 3G for internet etc.

Just after confirmation from someone in the know that my understanding above is heading the right direction before purchasing the phone.

Thanks,

Adrian
3G access will just work, the settings are downloaded as part of the process when you set it up in iTunes, you do need to add a data pack though otherwise you would get charged at casual data rates (huge) but this is just an account thing, nothing to do with the phone as such

vosadrian

Post by vosadrian » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Sounds good... so I just get the iphone, move the SIM from my old phone to the iphone, get extel to add a data pack to my existing account, and then I am ready to go with the iphone with full 3G support at good data rates?

Cheers,

Adrian

vosadrian

Post by vosadrian » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:03 pm

vosadrian wrote:Sounds good... so I just get the iphone, move the SIM from my old phone to the iphone, get extel to add a data pack to my existing account, and then I am ready to go with the iphone with full 3G support at good data rates?

Cheers,

Adrian
And to add to my questions, I see that extel has data packs for casual, 100Mb, 200Mb, 300Mb, 500Mb. However as I have never had a 3G phone, I have no idea what my usage would be. I do not plan to use it much for internet... just when I need it. I will still do the majority of my internet usage on PC. I was thinking of just gettin the casual $0 up front datapack ($0.07/Mb). Does that seem like a reasonable choice?

Cheers,

Adrian

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:12 pm

vosadrian wrote:I do not plan to use it much for internet... just when I need it. I will still do the majority of my internet usage on PC. I was thinking of just gettin the casual $0 up front datapack ($0.07/Mb). Does that seem like a reasonable choice?
My iPhone 3G usage is pretty much on the bus to and from work - both at home and at work it's on Wi-Fi.

On the bus it's mostly email, occasional web surfing, and the ABC news app. My 3G usage is between 250MB and 500MB per month.

I would recommend getting the 100MB pack to start with, just to cover the basics, and see what usage you end up establishing.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:25 pm

Klaas wrote:
vosadrian wrote:I do not plan to use it much for internet... just when I need it. I will still do the majority of my internet usage on PC. I was thinking of just gettin the casual $0 up front datapack ($0.07/Mb). Does that seem like a reasonable choice?
My iPhone 3G usage is pretty much on the bus to and from work - both at home and at work it's on Wi-Fi.

On the bus it's mostly email, occasional web surfing, and the ABC news app. My 3G usage is between 250MB and 500MB per month.

I would recommend getting the 100MB pack to start with, just to cover the basics, and see what usage you end up establishing.
I'd be inclined to suggest one of the packs and monitor your usage, I only use a few hundred mb each month and use it a fair bit

vosadrian

Post by vosadrian » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi All,

I got an iphone on the weekend, and it got it all up and running well. I rang exetel today and found out that the Mobile X plan defaults to the casual usage data pack which is what I wanted to try anyway. The exetel staff said that it would get 2G speed, but I have seen the phone say it has a 3G connection. Have not used it much... mainly used wifi, and it seem quick on wifi.

Just info if anyone else does the same thing.

Cheers,

Adrian