Exetel MoIP

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
rjedw

Re: Exetel MoIP

Post by rjedw » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:58 pm

cubic wrote:
rjedw wrote:I then tried to reinstall the Exevoip app for which I had some calling success with, but says the 'security certificate' has expired. Is there a workaround for this issue?
Try Phone Settings -> Applications -> App manager and turn off the certificate check.
Thanks but that didn't work. However, I reset the time on the phone to suit the certificate timeframe and worked.

ExeMOIP doesn't appear to work for me on my 6120c. I'd be very interested if anyone else gets it going as I would love to have contact access. Oh well, I'll stay with EexVOIP for now.

jollyg

Post by jollyg » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:09 am

Let us know the results
I did as suggested the other day and when idle for 3 hours after making a call, used only .1 of a MB down and .11 of an MB up so issue did not repeat. However I did remove a couple of apps from the phone before I tried. One of which Fring was starting up automatically, the others were not starting automatically so would not have mattered anyway (Colby SMS, Nimbuz).
One thing though that I did notice and has been mentioned before the calls do not auto terminate when the other end hangs up and you either have to terminate MOIP or wait between 1-2 minutes before you make another call - clicking either the red handset icon or the hangup button of MOIP does nothing. Quality was also poor (breaking up).

Markovich

Post by Markovich » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:37 pm

jollyg wrote:
Let us know the results
I did as suggested the other day and when idle for 3 hours after making a call, used only .1 of a MB down and .11 of an MB up so issue did not repeat. However I did remove a couple of apps from the phone before I tried. One of which Fring was starting up automatically...
That sounds more more like it should be. Glad you seem to have identified the problem. I would generally recommend only using one type of VoIP registration at a time on these devices (eg, phone's internal SIP OR Fring OR ExeMoIP), as this will also rule out other conflicts that might interfere generally with VoIP success.

I also need to correct something I said the other day about data usage with VoIP, which was wildy wrong (misremembered). I don't know what codec is being used by ExeVoIP, but the most commonly used for lighter data use is G729, which uses more like 14MB/hour in each direction (G711, the best codec uses about 40MB/hour in each direction), nothing like the <1MB/hour I suggested earlier. So calls WILL have an immediate impact on data usage and must be taken into consideration. Nonetheless, it was still very apparent that the data usage you were reporting was not normal for the phone usage you were describing.

kenobiajay

Post by kenobiajay » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:28 pm

Call quality is very good - but this was in good 3G reception...

Can't comment on battery life, as I'm only opening MoIP to make calls - and then shut it down.

The history displays incorrect call durations (or maybe it isn't displaying the minutes...) and doesn't seem to sort properly.

And yeah, would be nice if the red "end call" button on nokia phones would end the call (and not just minimise that app, which is supposed to happen by default).

Akdor 1154

Post by Akdor 1154 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:12 pm

Crashes on launch for me with Nokia e55. Worked with sms for a while (as long as it used cellular data, wifi would cause a crash), but last night I had to run a factory reset: after reinstalling it now won't launch at all.

I still think an MTM to integrate with the built in messaging functions would be far better than a standalone app.

tommytom

Post by tommytom » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to this and a little stuck. I'm trying to setup Moip on my n97mini. So far I have the application installed on the handset but am stuck at knowing what my username and password should be? Where or how can I obtain these? Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:54 pm

tommytom wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to this and a little stuck. I'm trying to setup Moip on my n97mini. So far I have the application installed on the handset but am stuck at knowing what my username and password should be? Where or how can I obtain these? Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
user name and password are emailed to you after you add a VoIP service to your account

tommytom

Post by tommytom » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. So far it works well, however it only seems to run when wlan connection is available. Is there any way to change the access point so I can use moip anywhere with my mobile internet connection? Whenever I try to use it without wlan access, it simply closes down with no option to connect via different access point.

Thanks again - really impressed with the forum responses

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:58 pm

If your mobile's internet access point is set to always default to wlan, Exetel MOIP will simply use the default setting.

You could change the access point in your phone to "always ask" or similar (I haven't got my phone with me at the moment) and then choose the access point you want to use each time you run the program. If you don't use the wlan access point from your phone very often, you could simply change the default access point.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:09 pm

tommytom wrote: Is there any way to change the access point so I can use moip anywhere with my mobile internet connection?
I don't recall the Nokia settings off the top of my head but it will tell you in the user manual how to change the APN and how to change the default behavior when trying to access the internet

Markovich

Post by Markovich » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:41 pm

If SmartConnect is available from Ovi for your Nokia phone, I strongly recommend installing it. You then set up an access point "group" within the application, and add the phone's access points that you wish it to use. Setting WLAN first and Exetel HSPA second will have the applications set to use the SmartConnect access point by default (eg, browser, ExeMoIP, email etc) use WLAN when available and fall back automatically to HSPA otherwise. Works very nicely indeed.

b9force

Post by b9force » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Downloaded MOIP today and installed on Nokia 6121 classic. Results so far:
  • "Not registered" message is always displayed.
  • Call to my other Exetel voip number using the area code prefix: the call rings on the destination phone and appears to connect, but neither party can hear the other.
  • Call to my other Exetel voip number without using the area code prefix: the call fails, with message "Proxy Authentication Required".
  • Call to my PSTN number using the area code prefix: the call fails, with message "Proxy Authentication Required".
  • Call to my PSTN number without using the area code prefix: the call fails, with message "Proxy Authentication Required".
  • SMS works fine.

plasmapuff

Post by plasmapuff » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:45 am

Quick question: Is Optus 3G reliable enough for VOIP when you're not in a Wifi zone?

I'm in Brisbane and intend to only be using it in metro areas within 5km of the CBD.

Any good/bad experiences to report?

Akdor 1154

Post by Akdor 1154 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:19 am

Been using a Nokia e55 with the native VoIP capabilities over Exetel HSPA (Optus 3G), g729 codec, works fine as long as there's decent coverage. Success throughout most of Melbourne, it beats congested wifi as well (i.e. Monash Clayton).
Dodgy reception is more of a problem for VoIP than for standard telephony however.
Going to Canberra on the weekend so I'll let you know how that goes over GPRS (for some reason around parliament would not give me 3G capabilities, don't know if the service was just overloaded at Skyfire of if Optus is expressing displeasure at the pollies lol). In theory (bandwidth-wise) it should be fine but I don't know about latency over GPRS, could be a pain.

Colin2905

Post by Colin2905 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 am

Akdor 1154 wrote:GPRS.... In theory (bandwidth-wise) it should be fine but I don't know about latency over GPRS, could be a pain.
When I first started playing around with mobile VoIP, I tried GPRS just to see what would happen. There was enough downstream bandwidth to support voice to the mobile, but not enough upstream bandwidth to support voice from the mobile. The Optus tower was about 200m away.

As for using mobile VoIP around Canberra, there are at least two Optus 3G black spots that I go through on a daily basis (one in Fadden, and another near Wanniassa). Other than that, it seems to work OK, as long as I have a reasonable signal.