Client Banning IP's Since Migrating to New Plan.

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
IronM@sk

Client Banning IP's Since Migrating to New Plan.

Post by IronM@sk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:45 am

I've been on the IncPhone A plan since I signed up with Exetel, but recently we received an email alerting us to a $5/month mandatory increase to our bill (some rubbish about "not making money off that plan" even though our new plan is the same cost as the old one but offers substantially more quota... go figure). So now we've migrated to the Z/21IncTel, as of the beginning of this month, and ever since then my bittorrent client has been banning IP's like crazy for "sending bad data". Now I haven't changed any settings at all in my client and I am quite sure it is impossible for 30-50% of the completed peers in a swarm (sometimes more) to be sending bad data at rates enough for my client to block/ban them. Nobody else i've spoken to from said swarm are having this issue and it occurs accross multiple installs on different machines.

What could be the possible cause of this?
Is there any differences between the old IncPhone plans and these newer IncTel plans that could be causing this?
Is Exetel purposely in any way inserting bad packets (such as but not limited to RST packets) into my data?

It is really quite frustrating as it is causing my client to discard 10% or more of the data and download it again.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Client Banning IP's Since Migrating to New Plan.

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:56 am

The plan change is about compiling invoices, and has made no change to your line or connection. I cannot imagine why any ISP would want to deliberately insert bad packets and stay in business.

The torrent error is not uncommon. Your peers may include "poisoned" sources (it has happened), or you could have a software or file system problem. Which client and OS are you using? I'm not a super-heavy torrent user, but rtorrent and deluge are running fine for me.

IronM@sk

Post by IronM@sk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:57 am

I use Vuze (Azureus) on both a Windows XP SP3 box and a Windows Server 2003 blade server. I initially thought the problem was specific to the server (Compaq Proliant DL360 G2, 4GB ECC RAM) until I attempted a download on the XP machine (Athlon64 3000+, 2GB GeIL) and the results were the same; many banned IP's. The only thing common between the two is the save location, that being a Netgear SC101T SAN device. I will change the save location to a local drive on the server to see if that has any bearing on the problem, but I don't want to have two 10K rpm SCSi drives permanently screaming away :P. Besides the issue didn't start occuring until a couple of weeks ago and i've been running this config for over a month.
Dazzled wrote:I cannot imagine why any ISP would want to deliberately insert bad packets and stay in business.
Nor can I, but Comcast in the US did it. I can only imagine a smaller ISP without the resources necessary to fight potential litigation may imploy some techniques to appear to be actively discouraging the use of bittorrent as a vehicle for copyright infringement, thus earning brownie points, but hurting legitimate users of the technology in the process.

The only reason I explicitely asked the question about data packets was for the rumour that Exetel had installed Sandvine deep packet inspection hardware to intercept bittorrent packets. Also for the fact that Exetel is listed in the Azureus Wiki as being a "Bad ISP". But that's fine, if it can admit it doesn't then I will move on and look for other solutions.I'm just getting annoyed that all of a sudden a torrent that began at over 1Mb/sec has been reduced to 50Kb/sec or less after ten minutes and has accumulated 117 banned IP's out of about 300. Seems a little more than "uncommon" wouldn't you think?

IronM@sk

Post by IronM@sk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Ok I tried a small test torrent (500mb) with a folder on the local C: drive of the server and didn't get any banned IP's for that session so it's possible the problem could be the Netgear SAN. Perhaps once a disk on the SAN reaches a certain capacity the track speed of the inner most parts is not sufficient for the constant read/write applications for bittorrent? Maybe just on it's proprietary filesystem (Surprise!ButtsecksFS). I'm not declaring it solved just yet at any rate until I try some more. Might be eating a foot sandwitch on this one though.