Over 200ms ping and 150ms Jitter at random hours of the day

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
nerdboyxxx

Re: Constant disconnections and horrible connection before 12?

Post by nerdboyxxx » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Some good news for a change! It seems that my internet is running smoothly at the moment, I clocked 39 ping on pingtest.com with only 1ms jitter, and all my web pages load up a lot faster. However, I am not sure what the quality of my connection might be if, say, I turn on my other computer and have that running on the internet at the same time. I can test all of this on the weekend when I have the time. Do you know where I might get the GUI version of mtr? I can't seem to find it. By the way, I tried to put in exetel.com.au as host and it says "unable to get raw socket", any way around this?

Thanks for all the help so far :).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Good to hear. Regarding mtr, the original is a Linux app, and is found in both CLI and GUI forms either by default or in the repository of pretty well every distro. The CLI arguments are listed at http://linux.die.net/man/8/mtr. It was ported to Windows in GUI format as WinMTR at http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/, but the port goes back to 2002.

The easy way for a Windows user to run a Linux version is by booting Puppy http://www.puppylinux.com/ which is a complete computer squeezed into only 100 MB, so it runs wholly in memory at maximum speed. It's an Australian development. The site has instructions for making either a bootable CD or bootable USB stick. A couple of features are "different" to suit a common use as a diagnostic device. When Puppy boots you have to manually start a desktop wizard before you go online. If you want to look at your Windows disks you must first "mount" them from another icon. This ultra-lightweight alternative OS can be very useful diagnosing network problems in Windows systems, as most network utilities are present by default. If you use writable media you can tweak Puppy and save your changes at shutdown.

nerdboyxxx

Post by nerdboyxxx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Ah okay, thanks for that :). I'll download that stuff once I get my downloads back (I don't want to be cahrged any extra if I go over my download limit :P). Once I get it set up I'll give you the results I get back from it.

nerdboyxxx

Post by nerdboyxxx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:48 pm

It is happening again, ping above 200 and I can't play anything and can barely load up a youtube video, however web browsing appears fine. So, I got that puppy linux and got it on a CD, booted it and everything and the winmtr program didn't work (obviously, cause its an MS-DOS program *facepalm*). Anyway, I've managed to download the LINUX version of the program and cannot get the internet to connect to puppylinux no matter what I do, and frankly I'd rather not mess around with it, so I would appreciate it if anyone could help me get it set up on Windows. I still get that error message cannot find raw socket whenever I try to connect to exetel :|.

I'd like to get this thing sorted out as soon as possible :P.

Oh, I am upgrading to unlimited at the moment, I'm pretty sure it starts next month, could this possibly be a cause of my slow connection? I doubt it because it happens randomly but I'd hope that that's the answer, because I'm sarting to get fustrated with it...

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Puppy is a very fast alternative OS to Windows. No application meant for Windows will run on it, and vice versa. Executables have to be compiled to suit the target OS. After downloading the .iso file, it has to be burnt as a CD image (instructions on Puppy site). You then place the CD in the drive and cold boot. Once it comes up, you will have to use the on-screen connect icon to get the internet connected - just follow the wizard prompts as it tests the network. Now you can use the "start button" to find mtr. The point of having Puppy is that it is not Windows, runs wholly in memory, and so can be used to diagnose Windows problems and fix up defective Windows files.

Mtr is used to check out congestion and packet loss, and a previous GUI version is available in an old Windows port at http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/winmtr_bin.zip. Unzip to find the .exe file, and off you go.

nerdboyxxx

Post by nerdboyxxx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:47 pm

Well the windows version is still not working, for whatever reason. I'm putting in exetel.com.au in the host section and still unable to obtain raw socket. I will, however, try and connect to the internet via puppy and ping test from there.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:21 pm

This bloke walks you through the boot and getting on line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltZt5Jhy ... re=related

nerdboyxxx

Post by nerdboyxxx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Okay, I've got it up and running. In fact, I'm posting this message using Puppy's Browser right now :). However, I am confused as to how I make my mtr executable for linux. If you can step me through it I'd be grateful :). I've read and re-read the install doc that came in the zip file but I still can't make any sense out of it :/.

Thanks for all the help so far, hopefully I can have this sorted out tonight :P.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:31 pm

I've just gone off and booted Puppy myself for a memory refresh. After you have enabled networking, note the Menu button at the Windows Start position. Menu->Network->Mtr traceroute will get you running. Change the file name from localhost to the url you are tracing, eg exetel.com.au (no http://) and press enter. Let it run a while and watch any packet loss or fluctuating ping times.

Puppy's simple desktop won't let you copy the results with a mouse, but you can always take a snapshot image. Menu->Graphic->Mtpaint snapshot. You can only write that permanently to a mounted writable drive, perhaps a USB stick. When Puppy exits it asks what to do with anything you have written, as the "file" is in memory.

Later on, use Unetbootin to put the iso file onto an old low capacity USB stick. It's a useful tool, particularly if you have to rescue an unbootable hard drive..
Last edited by Dazzled on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nerdboyxxx

Post by nerdboyxxx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks very much! I have it up and running now. I will let it run for about 10-12 more minutes and then post a picture of the results here. I can see my ping jump up ad down like crazy, however no packet loss which is always a good sign.

I'll edit this post and put the picture of the results below once I'm done :). Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: I have my results attached as a .png file, hopefully you can make better sense of them than I can :P.
Attachments
my traceroute stats.png
this is the stats I attained after around 15 minutes of running the ping test
my traceroute stats.png (35 KiB) Viewed 2589 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:59 pm

You have negligible loss, but whereas my connection can reach the first Exetel router in 32 ms you are taking 150, pretty consistently (high ping). It might be that Exetel is being run off its feet, but exchange/backhaul congestion is very possible. See if it varies for another target.

Edit: What you have been doing is firing away a very large number of Unix (UDP) traceroutes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute
Puppy has single and multi-thread downloaders on board - use them to test download speeds.
PS Read the free book - http://www.lulu.com/product/download/th ... 10/4204807

nerdboyxxx

Post by nerdboyxxx » Sat May 01, 2010 8:56 am

So is there any way I can possibly fix it? Because I have a clan match coming up soon and I need to be there, at the moment I can only load up a forum, facebook, and sometimes a youtube video (barely) :(.

EDIT: Here is a pingtest.net update, worst it has EVER been.
Attachments
ping test.png
ping test.png (124.86 KiB) Viewed 2575 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat May 01, 2010 9:17 am

You have latency on the 1st hop, probably at the phone line & exchange DSLAM and backhaul ex Parramatta, so apart from praying for an upgrade there is little you can do. The internet wasn't really designed for shoot-em-up reflexes, more for data transmission, and the telcos won't usually put themselves out for you. Are you on an Optus or a Powertel carried service? If you have a VoIP service, is it affected (though VoIP is surprisingly tolerant)?

Edit Puppy used only the simplest of firewalls. Don't burden your gaming with malware suites that check out your packets.
Last edited by Dazzled on Sat May 01, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

nerdboyxxx

Post by nerdboyxxx » Sat May 01, 2010 9:23 am

*Pretty* sure I am on a PowerTel service, however I might have to confirm that. VoIP isn't affected at all, if you play anything online with the xbox there is perfect connections all the time. Because it's the weekend connections might be a bit poorer than usual but anything over 50ms ping is ridiculous. Also I have a speedtest.net showing my average and the ISP average, showing that I am extremely slow at the moment.

Currently I am logging a support ticket and they have sugested checking the exchange line to my house for any faults, however if they don't find a fault we are charged $220 so I am a bit cautious, because it might end up bieng congestion...

Hopefully I can get this sorted out soon, because I also have assignments that I need to complete...

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat May 01, 2010 9:56 am

This sort of latency shouldn't seriously hinder your assignments or web site downloading.

Youtube buffering is quite common as congestion reaches all the way to the youtube servers. You can avoid it with things like the Firefox video download extensions, or better still, youtube-dl (Python script) or cclive (written in C++), coupled with a flash viewer. VLC is excellent.