Rationale Behind Change Of Plan 'Direction'

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
oldman

Re: Rationale Behind Change Of Plan 'Direction'

Post by oldman » Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:Is it possible to get the Z plans re-instated please at least until the end of the month?
I have asked for that to be done.
Any indication when they will return?

Thank you.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed May 19, 2010 9:25 am

myrrh wrote:
* Downloads between 2 am and 8 am do not count towards your included plan allowance from 1st June 2010
Off peak between 2.30 am and 7.30 am is lower cost to Exetel
are these times EST or local?
For the 2am-8am: I'd guess local. Exetel moved to local times a while ago and I suspect they will continue on this path.

That means that due to time zones, the period between of "lower cost to Exetel" (more accurate, the period where bandwidth is least utilised) is spread out a little bit, but not too much as the majority of the user base is along the east coast of Australia. If you check http://public.mrtg.exetel.com.au/bwsumm ... width.html from within your member facilities, you see the usage pattern in EST. Lowest periods are 12pm-3pm (i.e. commencement of peak time), 4am - 8am (i.e. night time, after overnight downloads have all finished and before people have queued more after waking in the morning)
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon » Wed May 19, 2010 9:46 am

I personally think that with the inclusion of the 6 hr off peak period to the new OT plans, the previous Z plans have become rather obselete unless you really need a 10 to 12 hr unlimited off peak period. Given the lowest cost OTA plan is $5 less than the lowest cost Z20 plan and both with UNLIMITED OFF PEAK PERIODS and 10GB peak download with the option of excess @ 50c/GB OR shaping to 512kbps, the new plans present rather good value. In fact @ $55 the OTA plan actually provides the equivalent of 6 hrs UNLIMITED OFF PEAK + 20GB PEAK at full speed so better in many ways!

oldman

Post by oldman » Wed May 19, 2010 3:38 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:Is it possible to get the Z plans re-instated please at least until the end of the month?
Is this still going to happen or has it been ditched with the addition of the 6 hours free off-peak on the new OT plans?
He strikes me as a man of his word so I would expect it will be done shortly.

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon » Wed May 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Is this still going to happen or has it been ditched with the addition of the 6 hours free off-peak on the new OT plans?[/quote]

Realistically the Z plans have now become less competitive and rather obselete

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed May 19, 2010 4:10 pm

Poseidon wrote:
Realistically the Z plans have now become less competitive and rather obselete
I disagree. Some people that like watching streaming tv etc find they'd much rather pay $5 more/month for 12 hours offpeak than have to get up before 8am to watch television for "free".

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon » Wed May 19, 2010 9:30 pm

Can anyone clarify on the new OT plans, once you exceed your peak download quota, whether shaping to 512 kbps affects your OFF PEAK download speed as well or only PEAK download speed :?:

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed May 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Poseidon wrote:Can anyone clarify on the new OT plans, once you exceed your peak download quota, whether shaping to 512 kbps affects your OFF PEAK download speed as well or only PEAK download speed :?:
24 x 7

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed May 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Poseidon wrote:Can anyone clarify on the new OT plans, once you exceed your peak download quota, whether shaping to 512 kbps affects your OFF PEAK download speed as well or only PEAK download speed :?:
The new OT plans have no "peak" or "off-peak". They have a monthly quota, and a free period (2am-8am). Once you exceed your limit, you are shaped. The 2-8 period is still "free" but you continue to be shaped at all times until the end of the month
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

qldbridge

Post by qldbridge » Thu May 20, 2010 9:01 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
Does this include 8mb ADSL1?

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Thu May 20, 2010 1:09 pm

In my members area, under most of the plans I am presented with it says
The standard setting is shaped.
You have the ability, once on the plan, to permanently switch to pay for excess at 50 cents per gb.
but that doesn't appear under the ADSL1 1500 plans, so is that option not available to those plans at all?

Shady

Post by Shady » Fri May 21, 2010 11:44 am

Hi,

It's now available under My Plan Details -> View My Service Details:

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/account_view_plan.php

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Fri May 21, 2010 12:55 pm

Shady wrote:Hi,

It's now available under My Plan Details -> View My Service Details:

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/account_view_plan.php
Yes, it's there... but it's not under the ADSL1 1500 plans to change to in "Manage Services - ADSL - Change my service"
All the ADSL plans have it mentioned under them...
Attachments
4bf68237.jpg
4bf68237.jpg (143.19 KiB) Viewed 8582 times

Shady

Post by Shady » Fri May 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi,

Sorry about that. I'll check it now.

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon » Fri May 21, 2010 5:21 pm

I just noticed a SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE in SHAPING policy between the new OT and ON plans VS the new AA plans where a customers rents their phone line from another provider:

For all the new OT and ON plans the following statement is made in relation to shaping without any condition, reservation or limitation:

The standard setting is shaped.
You have the ability, once on the plan, to permanently switch to pay for excess at 50 cents per gb.

However for new customers selecting one of the AA plans where one continues to rent their phone line from another provider, the following "restriction" is made in relation to shaping:

+ The standard setting is shaped.
Shaped means that you are allowed to continue downloading at a slowed speed up to a level of 50% of your plan’s included downloads. After reaching that limit your access is blocked until midnight on the first day of the next month. This block page also gives you the option of continuing to download by selecting a permanent change to the next higher plan in the plan range.
+ You also have the ability, once on the plan, to permanently switch to pay for excess at 50 cents per gb.

I have checked through all the plan tables, terms and conditions and there are no other comments, definitions or restrictions regarding shaping.

Hence one can assume from the way Exetel has explicity structured their plan tables with the relevent conditions/restrictions and definitions in YELLOW boxes below each plan table, that the 50% restriction on shaping specifically applies to the AA plans only!

If so then the new OT and ON plans have no subsequent download restrictions whilst being "shaped to 512kbps" which makes them even more attractive.