eXeSMS will not send

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
steve sydneyside

eXeSMS will not send

Post by steve sydneyside » Mon May 24, 2010 8:57 pm

I am having problems getting my computer to send SMS using eXeSMS. I have used it successfully with a previous SIM card in a Nokia 6500. But I have since upgraded my internet connection and am using a HUAWEI E160G modem on a different Exetel plan and new SIM.
Installed on the computer is Version 1.5 (same computer and internet is working fine)
I initially thought that it was because I had not registered my mobile number, so I did this but there is no change?
I believe I might need to get someone to send me the settings as I had to do this with previous Optus plans to initiate the SIM service for MMS (I need this activated too). Which I can do by putting the SIM into the Nokia 6500.
When I open eXeSMS an error window displays, if I then click 'OK' -see attached jpg, the program opens?
Message displayed after initial setup below
Error Failed to send SMS:Connection failed
:?
Attachments
eXeSMS.jpg
First window before eXeSMS opens?
eXeSMS.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Keep an eye on where your going and life will have more meaning - Don't become cynical..

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: eXeSMS will not send

Post by Gidget » Mon May 24, 2010 9:07 pm

The latest stand-alone exeSMS program version for your PC is 2.1, downloadable from here (after logging into your User Facilities)
https://www.exetel.com.au/members/send_ ... exeSMS.php

Have you tried that version?

Alternatively, see this thread
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 37#p266737
for a guide to getting version 1.5 working again.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

steve sydneyside

Post by steve sydneyside » Mon May 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Gidget wrote:The latest stand-alone exeSMS program version for your PC is 2.1-Have you tried that version?
Have downloaded the file and will try to setup newer version. Post back here when I have results.

Thanks for the speedy reply :D
Keep an eye on where your going and life will have more meaning - Don't become cynical..

steve sydneyside

Post by steve sydneyside » Mon May 24, 2010 11:13 pm

Ok, so I downloaded the Version 2.1 which required Java Platform to run \ open as it would not execute without it :o
available from here http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
After a few installs \ restarts (Windows) managed to get the newer Version 2.1 to open eXeSMS. Tested it and it is working
Unfortunately it did not register the new SIM details (Login ID & Password) only the older SIM details from the Nokia 6500 modem days what have I done wrong?
Where are the settings needed to change this, I thought they were in a Tab on the Version 1.5 but that Tab no longer exists?
Edit I received mail from Exetel Support
Outgoing calls and outgoing SMS has not been provisioned for this service therefore you will not be able to send SMS using this plan.
so I now have the answers to why it's charging SMSes to another account although Support did say will not be able to send... 8)

cubic

Post by cubic » Tue May 25, 2010 2:57 pm

Outgoing SMS being disabled for the SIM is irrelevant - you're not trying to send an SMS through the mobile service. What exeSMS does is connect to the Exetel server via your internet connection, and send from there. So the username and password you enter into exeSMS should be the ones you set up in your user facilities (SMS API Access) and not related to what internet connection / 3G SIM you're using. The only reason why it should be fussy about the connection is if you restricted your SMS API username to work only from a particular IP address, so check in your user facilities and remove / change that if necessary.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

steve sydneyside

Post by steve sydneyside » Thu May 27, 2010 2:27 pm

cubic wrote:Outgoing SMS being disabled for the SIM is irrelevant - you're not trying to send an SMS through the mobile service. What exeSMS does is connect to the Exetel server via your internet connection, and send from there. So the username and password you enter into exeSMS should be the ones you set up in your user facilities (SMS API Access) and not related to what internet connection / 3G SIM you're using. The only reason why it should be fussy about the connection is if you restricted your SMS API username to work only from a particular IP address, so check in your user facilities and remove / change that if necessary.
@cubic thanks for the input will check the users facility and adjust settings from there