8 mb plans?

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: 8 mb plans?

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:25 am

jishy wrote:I used to be on an 8mbps plan a few years ago, then I moved and got ADSL2. Whatever it was, it was enough downloads. But I guess you are right, how can you compete with SuperNerd's 8Mbps plans for example.

What I am more interested in now is the NBN rollout in Townsville and the pricing.

How could Exetel compete with a company the size of SuperNerd?

I don't really understand you comment/question/remark.

Would you mind explaining a little more?

As far as I know - and correct me if I'm wrong - Supernerd is a tiny company that buys from the same ADSL2 provider as Exetel does - Optus - I don't think that, like Exetel, they also buy from AAPT - but that is irrelevant.

So what advantages do you believe that Supernerd has over Exetel? Better buying power/relationship with Optus? Better buying power for IP? Lower overhead costs?

As far as I know Townsville is not listed for 'NBN2' activation in the near future.

jishy

Post by jishy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:25 am

I am saying as a business standpoint, 70/160GB over Telstra 8Mbps ADSL for $99.95/mth (SuperNerd's top plan) seems like they are running at a loss, assuming one does chew through all that data. All I am saying is how could anyone compete with it? I assume that the only way it would be profitable is if the user does not use anywhere near the quota.

I don't like how defensive you are getting since clearly I have no problem with Exetel and the service provided. My original plan in 2008 with Exetel was a 8Mbps offering, and it was the most value plan on the market at the time. The point I wished to make was if I moved to another part of Townsville without ADSL2+ then I am stuck on a 1.5mbps plan or I'd have to seek elsewhere for a 8mbps plan (and I'd rather stick with Exetel, who I know provide a great service, rather than some other ISP).

And as for the NBN, http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/ar ... _news.html. Just something I read the other day about it here.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:10 pm

jishy wrote:I am saying as a business standpoint, 70/160GB over Telstra 8Mbps ADSL for $99.95/mth (SuperNerd's top plan) seems like they are running at a loss, assuming one does chew through all that data. All I am saying is how could anyone compete with it? I assume that the only way it would be profitable is if the user does not use anywhere near the quota.

I don't like how defensive you are getting since clearly I have no problem with Exetel and the service provided. My original plan in 2008 with Exetel was a 8Mbps offering, and it was the most value plan on the market at the time. The point I wished to make was if I moved to another part of Townsville without ADSL2+ then I am stuck on a 1.5mbps plan or I'd have to seek elsewhere for a 8mbps plan (and I'd rather stick with Exetel, who I know provide a great service, rather than some other ISP).

And as for the NBN, http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/ar ... _news.html. Just something I read the other day about it here.
There was nothing "defensive" about my response....purely specific requests for you to clarify your, to me, strangely worded statement.

The cost to Exetel of a Telstra 8 mbps service in a Zone 3 area such as Townsvile is not far off $60.00 (inc gst). Perhaps other companies buy at lower rates from Telstra than Exetel does - it is quite possible.

The back haul cost alone from Telstra (at the highest level of efficiency - 1 gbps) is around 35 cents per gb (inc gst) and the IP cost is about the same - giving a total of 70 cents per gb for peak time traffic.

So a plan that costs $100.00 would break even if someone downloaded 60 gb in the peak period but most people do not fully use their plan's full download so it would make some money.

However very, very few ADSL customers will pay $100.00 for a service so the issue is more what people will pay for an 8 mbps service than how much down load is included.

My actual question was "what is needed in an 8 mbps plan" for a sensible user who needs the speed.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:36 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: My actual question was "what is needed in an 8 mbps plan" for a sensible user who needs the speed.
perhaps having 8k/384 plans only available on a PAYG basis would be workable, at least the option would be available for those that need the speed rather than the download

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:18 pm

We could do that very easily - and used to do it.

One reason we dropped the 8 mbps plans was the increasing number of customers who reported their 8 mbps had suddenly reduced to 3 mbps or in some cases 1.5 mbps because of issues on the exchange and the backhauls from some exchanges.

The users blamed Exetel and caused a problem so we simply stopped offering the service until Telstra completed their 'upgrade program'.

That program is now meant to be almost complete so we will consider offering 8 mbps plans again.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
That program is now meant to be almost complete so we will consider offering 8 mbps plans again.
That would be good to see :)

samarium

Post by samarium » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:50 pm

jokiin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
That would be good to see :)
I agree.

My exchange is Telstra only, and I'm not interested in Telstra ADSL2 prices.

I'm current on a 8Mb/s 6GB/12h unlimited plan, and I get about 6Mb/s download rate. I only got the unlimited because there wasn't any reasonable alternative at the time. I usually use about 10G - 20G on the unlimited period, mainly doing ubuntu mirror updates, and pay $0.50 /Gb peak excess on the odd occasions I need to.

I was reasonably happy with the previous 8Mb/s 12G/55G $65 plan, except that there were extra admin charges $3, surcharges $5, and the 55G stopped being upgraded to be on par with current exetel plans. The current plan is marginally cheaper at $65 + $1.10 + the occasional $0.50/Gb excess.

For new 8Mb plans, I'd probably be happy to choose between 2 plans something like:

Peak 10GB and 30GB, $0.50/GB excess as I'm not interested in shaping, although some people probably are.
Offpeak maybe 70GB or an uncounted period, not that I expect to use anything like 70GB except very occasionally. Maybe I'd consider an excess charge here too, depends upon how the plan stacks up against my usage model.
Price $65 and $75.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Those sorts of plans could be easily done.

We will come up with some ideas tomorrow along the lines of:

6 hour off peak period - 120 gb then 50 cents per gb

18 hour peak period - 12/24/36/60 - monthly price $60.00/$65.00/$70.00/$80.00

6 month contract

$60.00 activation fee

Free churn

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:16 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Those sorts of plans could be easily done.

We will come up with some ideas tomorrow along the lines of:

6 hour off peak period - 120 gb then 50 cents per gb

18 hour peak period - 12/24/36/60 - monthly price $60.00/$65.00/$70.00/$80.00

6 month contract

$60.00 activation fee

Free churn
for a category you felt you couldn't accommodate with any value something along these lines would be outstanding, wasn't expecting anything this good

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:47 am

12 GB/no charge - $60 + $0.50 per GB thereafter, 6 months contract.

12 GB = $60
24 GB = $66
36 GB = $72
60 GB = $84

One simple plan. Boot the abusers of the "no charge" if and when required ex contract.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:45 am

We have decided to simply re-issue the previous plans with a higher off peak allowance and a reduced excess usage charge.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:39 pm

I see them on the webpage for new/churn customers.

Are they shaped excess by default as webpage suggests or $1 per GB excess as the order form suggests?
Last edited by Ravenous on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Col

Post by Col » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:40 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We have decided to simply re-issue the previous plans with a higher off peak allowance and a reduced excess usage charge.
I like the staggered offpeaks, but I guess it turned out not to be as easy as you thought it would be to create jaw-dropping plans. At the price points you have selected I think a boost to 15/30/45/70 might make it a bit more competitive, and make the plan page look better because all the other plans are rounded to the nearest 10GB. Nice attempt anyway :).

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Col wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We have decided to simply re-issue the previous plans with a higher off peak allowance and a reduced excess usage charge.
I like the staggered offpeaks, but I guess it turned out not to be as easy as you thought it would be to create jaw-dropping plans. At the price points you have selected I think a boost to 15/30/45/70 might make it a bit more competitive, and make the plan page look better because all the other plans are rounded to the nearest 10GB. Nice attempt anyway :).
Who offers a better plan?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Ravenous wrote:I see them on the webpage for new/churn customers.

Are they shaped excess by default as webpage suggests or $1 per GB excess as the order form suggests?
$1.00 per gb excess.