install wireless bb to flash drive

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
rooscoota

install wireless bb to flash drive

Post by rooscoota » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:21 am

just a quicky, is it possible to install a wireless setup to a flash drive to use on different machines :?:
since: 03/03/04

brumer

Re: install wireless bb to flash drive

Post by brumer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:52 am

Strange question really.
Firstly the Exetel wireless modem contains a built in antenna which the modem connects through.
If you mean "install the setup software on a flash drive"?
Yes, no problem but not sure why you would need to/want to do that.
Once you installed from the flash drive, you'd still need to plug in the modem anyway.

rooscoota

Post by rooscoota » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:31 pm

brumer wrote: Firstly the Exetel wireless modem contains a built in antenna which the modem connects through.
i realise that thanks.
brumer wrote:If you mean "install the setup software on a flash drive"?
yes, thats exactly what i meant.
brumer wrote:but not sure why you would need to/want to do that.
the theory is to not have to install the software on other machines such as my desktop, the daughters laptop and maybe any other friends or family machines that dont need it to stay there but to use the wireless on these machines running the app from the flash drive, or even installing the software to the memory card within the modem itself which would dispense with having to use a seperate flash drive in conjunction with the modem.
brumer wrote:Strange question really.
not really, more inquisitive.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:50 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but I have Ubuntu (without a swap partition) fully installed on a small USB stick. I put it and the modem if needed into any computer and off I go. Some of the newer wireless modems can have memory cards, and I have heard of small footprint distros being booted into RAM file systems from them, though I haven't tried myself.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:59 pm

rooscoota wrote:the theory is to not have to install the software on other machines such as my desktop, the daughters laptop and maybe any other friends or family machines that dont need it to stay there but to use the wireless on these machines running the app from the flash drive, or even installing the software to the memory card within the modem itself which would dispense with having to use a seperate flash drive in conjunction with the modem.
As far as I'm aware, once Windows has detected the USB device and installed drivers via plug and play, you can simply create a dial-up connection in the Network Connections, with phone number *99# and you can get connected. However, I can't remember if the wireless software is installed automatically on insertion of the USB modem, and I haven't tested if the *99# dial-up connection continues to work after you uninstall the wireless broadband software
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

rooscoota

Post by rooscoota » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:32 pm

CoreyPlover wrote: I can't remember if the wireless software is installed automatically on insertion of the USB modem
as soon as the modem is plugged in for the first time it prompts the install wizard.

i put the theory to the test and found that a small portion of the install still ends up on the host machine ie: the bulk of the install went to the memory card, in a card reader as the modem didnt show the memory card slot/removable storage device until after installation. another small part of the installation ended up in the add/remove programs on the actual computer and was also very clunky to initiate from the modem memory card/removable storage device.

conclusion

might as well install complete on machine. keep it all together instead of across storage device and host machine as some part of it has to be on host machine by the looks of it.