New User Passwords

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Exetel's public web site
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

New User Passwords

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:29 pm

An email has been sent out requiring weak passwords to be changed. Some of these date back to the early days. If the user password is changed on these old accounts, will the modem login need to be altered?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: New User Passwords

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:47 am

I'd say "yes".

My service originally had two passwords (one for user facilities, one for modem) but I have since changed the password and the two became automatically aligned.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:29 am

Thanks, Exetel gave only 3 day's notice before they regenerate one, and I suspect I'll end up with several blocked modems to fix around the state if this is an automatic action. Not a good idea.

They require 8 chars min with an upper/lower/special mix.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:38 am

Dazzled wrote:Thanks, Exetel gave only 3 day's notice before they regenerate one, and I suspect I'll end up with several blocked modems to fix around the state if this is an automatic action. Not a good idea.

It's only for the members areas, not the radius details.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks James. That's a load lifted.

Pollux

Post by Pollux » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:58 am

It's only for the members areas, not the radius details.[/quote]

My service has two passwords one for user facilities and another
different one for my router/modem.

Where can I just just change my members areas password?

In My Details - Login details - Change Password one is instructed to
make any changes in the Password in the ASDL modem as well.

Thank you.

sable

Post by sable » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:11 pm

James wrote:
Dazzled wrote:Thanks, Exetel gave only 3 day's notice before they regenerate one, and I suspect I'll end up with several blocked modems to fix around the state if this is an automatic action. Not a good idea.

It's only for the members areas, not the radius details.
James,

As per Pollux's post could you please advise where one makes the change without affecting the modem setup.

In hindsight the email sent out should have included specific instructions on how to do this.

Now getting quite urgent as 3 days started ticking on Friday.

lornarod

Post by lornarod » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:23 pm

I was requested by exetel to change my password which I did. But I was then requested to change my password on my modem. I have a NB9 netcomm modem with voip operating.
When I tried to do this it doesn't go back to basic quick setup on Modem. Surely I won't have to return to factory settings and start again. Under access control and passwords when I put old password under user and then new password it comes back incorrect old password. I have never changed my password on my modem since it was set up so could exetel have changed it remotely or someone else. My modem is working fine with only the change os password on exetel sight. Has anyone any help for me to try.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Exetel, the 3 day time limit for this is potentially disastrous. Please postpone action until a method is found to ensure modems are not affected.

lornarod

Post by lornarod » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:34 am

Thanks for your advice. I have changed my password in exetel but have left my modem setting alone. Everything is working fine with this so I will leave it as it is. Is there any reason why Exetel wants both passwords to be the same as they were never the same before? I really don't want to return my modem to factory settings as I had to have it set up by a computer expert which costs money so I feel exetel should come up with an easy way to do this or leave it as it is.
lornarod

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:24 am

lornarod wrote:is there any reason why Exetel wants both passwords to be the same as they were never the same before?
Integrated passwords have their benefits (administrative simplicity for Exetel, easier for you to remember, easier for you to secure your modem / connection). In the beginning, Exetel maintained two separate passwords (one for ADSL, one for member facilities). But they used to receive massive numbers of "my connection isn't working" complaints when it was actually users inputting the wrong password, so they encouraged alignment of passwords, and have enforced it for new users for several years now.
lornarod wrote:I really don't want to return my modem to factory settings as I had to have it set up by a computer expert which costs money so I feel exetel should come up with an easy way to do this or leave it as it is.
I have never changed my password on my modem since it was set up so could exetel have changed it remotely or someone else
A couple of things:
* Exetel will never change your password remotely
* Access control refers to the password you use to login to the modem's web page. This is different to the ADSL password, which Exetel have asked you to change to match your new the Exetel member facilities. In summary: Access control allows you to set a "User" and "Admin" password in the modem that enables you to login and view or make modem setting changes (or prevent others from doing so), your Member facilities login is for the Exetel homepage, and your ADSL password is used by your modem to connect to Exetel.
* You do not have to reset to factory defaults to change your ADSL password. If you ever need to, you can change it under Basic > Quick ADSL Setup. Enter your username (which is [your 10 digit phone number]@[state].exetel.com.au) and the new password > Save and Reboot
However, if everything is working fine then you can probably just leave everything alone. You should only change your ADSL password as above (to align it to your member facilities one) if you find that all websites except Exetel time out, or you get an Exetel "Incorrect login" screen
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

lornarod

Post by lornarod » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:49 am

Thanks for the advice. However this does not work for me as quick set up won't come up on my modem site. I have just spent 20 minutes or so with a technition from exetel trying to change my modem password. I even gave him remote access but for some reason he could not take it. So until I have a problem with no internet I am to leave it as is and then get back in touch by phone with them. Unless you have any more suggestions.
lornarod

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:57 am

Corey, the email sent from Exetel states:
Please be advised it this is not actioned within 3 days of receiving this email, your members facility password will be re-generated by Exetel.
If this happens exactly as stated, users will presumably get an impossible-to-remember machine generated password sent to them. An attempt to change this will lead to a need to change the modem.

The email also said:
When you next login to your Exetel Members Facility, you will be required to make this password change immediately.
Once again users will be forced to change their modem passwords.

Now the main problem is this - many users cannot change their modem passwords, and rely on others, who may not be close at hand.

(It's not made simple for those of us using standards-compliant browsers that fail to log in to the new site, or which require a succession of log ins before it sticks on a page. We don't all use FF or IE. My golden oldies use Opera; I can only think of one FF user).

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:35 am

I'm not aware exactly how Exetel are implementing this, or how strictly they are enforcing the 3 day limit. From lornarod's description it seems to only be affecting the member facilities login (I suspect that SMS and fax spam is the main driver of this, not hijacked ADSL connections).

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:42 am

Please be advised it this is not actioned within 3 days of receiving this
email, your members facility password will be re-generated by Exetel.
How will the user be advised of this new password?

I guess the current risk is that someone manages to hack the forum or some other Exetel facility. If they can find a list of service numbers, they can try "password" on each.

Cheers, Mike