Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
alexerik
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by alexerik » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Hello,

I have an iPhone 3GS running OS4 and I would like to enable tethering so I can use my Exetel simcard and data. My iPhone is unlocked and is normally with Optus. All the settings are correct, apn etc and have been installed with an automatic config file. Unfortunately when I try to enable tethering a message pops up saying “Contact Optus to enable tethering”. When I called Optus and explained that I’m with Exetel and want to enable it they said to Contact Exetel. When I contacted Exetel the operator did not have a solution.

The Exetel simcard works fine in my USB modem and in my Nokia phone.

I think the tethering has to be activated by the Network provider, since it is Optus I think it would have to be activated by then, but they cannot change any settings because the service is owned by Exetel. Normally Optus charge $10 a month to activate the service.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by Dazzled » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Jokiin had a comment on this in February at viewtopic.php?f=308&t=32454&start=15 (last post). I don't know if it's still that way.

Whirlpool has an article at http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=iphone3.0, someone who uses an Iphone (I don't) might know if it works and be a bit more useful than me.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by jokiin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:58 pm

alexerik wrote: Unfortunately when I try to enable tethering a message pops up saying “Contact Optus to enable tethering”. When I called Optus and explained that I’m with Exetel and want to enable it they said to Contact Exetel.
passing the buck unfortunately
alexerik wrote: When I contacted Exetel the operator did not have a solution.
unfortunately not, Optus don't allow tethering for reseller profiles, unless they have a change of stance with regards to tethering with their own customers and have a carrier profile that allows this then you can't edit the profile as unsigned profiles (they are signed by Apple) don't allow tethering, no win situation and another reason why more than a few people resort to jailbreaking their handsets

tomdavies
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Petersham
Contact:

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by tomdavies » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 pm

jokiin wrote:Optus don't allow tethering for reseller profiles
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'profile' here -- iPhone profiles specifically?

I can tether perfectly well with my SE G502, so Optus do allow tethering on resold services, but my iPhone 4 asks me to contact Optus.

Has Exetel asked Optus whether they can enable iPhone tethering for services they have resold?

If so, what was the response?

Thanks,
Tom

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by jokiin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:17 pm

tomdavies wrote: I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'profile' here -- iPhone profiles specifically?
yes, iPhone specific, the carrier profile which tells the phone which setting you use etc is signed by Apple and is supplied to the carriers requirements, as soon as you alter the profile as you need to do to use the Exetel APN it becomes an unsigned profile and tethering does not work on the iPhone on unsigned carrier profiles, because Optus had decided to charge extra for tethering this was reliant on their carrier bundle, if they did not lock this feature down and make it chargeable as they did on the previous iPhone plans and if the APN field was viewable, so it could be edited by the end user from the handset then tethering would work with alternate APN's as required by Exetel and other layer 2 resellers of their service

for them to allow this feature they would need to change the profile, although their new plans include tethering they still have a bunch of people on older plans where it is a chargeable extra so they would be highly unlikely to change it I would expect
tomdavies wrote: Has Exetel asked Optus whether they can enable iPhone tethering for services they have resold?
I believe it has been asked but as I mentioned already, the way it works would mean them opening up the system and all the people that pay for tethering now would be able to tether without Optus being able to restrict it

I would love to see it allowed also as I have an Exetel SIM in an iPhone, can't happen currently without jailbreaking the phone which I'm not interested in doing anyway so just have to live without it

tomdavies
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Petersham
Contact:

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by tomdavies » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Can't Optus just provide Exetel with a signed profile with the exetel1 APN and tethering enabled?

The APN wouldn't work for Optus customers, so they wouldn't lose any tethering revenue...

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by jokiin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:48 pm

tomdavies wrote:Can't Optus just provide Exetel with a signed profile with the exetel1 APN and tethering enabled?

The APN wouldn't work for Optus customers, so they wouldn't lose any tethering revenue...
the carrier profile is selected based on the SIM card in use, it would only detect that it is an Optus SIM, no way to differentiate unfortunately with the current system and identify it as an Exetel service

tomdavies
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Petersham
Contact:

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by tomdavies » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks for helping me understand this.

I had thought that the profile I installed to get the exetel1 APN was marked as an Optus profile, but was unsigned and so didn't allow tethering, so I thought that Optus could provide a signed profile for you to install which would be marked as Optus, but would have the exetel1 APN. Where am I going wrong?

Is there a good tutorial on iPhone profiles?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by jokiin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:14 pm

tomdavies wrote:Thanks for helping me understand this.

I had thought that the profile I installed to get the exetel1 APN was marked as an Optus profile, but was unsigned and so didn't allow tethering, so I thought that Optus could provide a signed profile for you to install which would be marked as Optus, but would have the exetel1 APN. Where am I going wrong?

Is there a good tutorial on iPhone profiles?
if you go to settings/general/about you'll see you still have an Optus carrier profile (current is version 8.0), you need this as you do need to access the Optus network for the phone to have access, your APN though tells the base station that your data gets routed onto a different network to that of regular Optus phones, Optus can only have a single carrier profile which is signed by Apple, in the backend they can differentiate their own networks which is how they could allow tethering on Virgin without using a different carrier profile as it's just a billing difference on their side, likewise if a reseller was purely using their network and it was only a billing arrangement they technically could allow tethering (no idea if their billing system is capable though) however this would only work via their own network infrastructure and the things we get on Exetel, static IP, no blocked ports, decent contention etc would not be possible, we'd be stuck with the Optus version, caching, compressed images, congested network etc

you can look at the iPhone configuration utility if you want to know more about profiles, available for download from Apple

tomdavies
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Petersham
Contact:

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by tomdavies » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:39 pm

So tethering is a function of the carrier profile, and nothing to do with the configuration profile?

Presumably the iPhone talks to some component of the Optus network whenever you go to Settings/Network/Set Up Internet Tethering? What does it do exactly?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by jokiin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:45 pm

tomdavies wrote:So tethering is a function of the carrier profile, and nothing to do with the configuration profile?

Presumably the iPhone talks to some component of the Optus network whenever you go to Settings/Network/Set Up Internet Tethering? What does it do exactly?
something like that, I can't tell you exactly how the checks and balances work as I really don't know, it is reliant on the carrier profile though so is a limitation of the system that has to be worked with

gmphoto
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:41 am

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by gmphoto » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:48 am

Might have to change to android. This draconian control by Apple and complicit and compliant carriers is beginning to really irritate me.

wmfoster2001
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: Meadowbank, NSW, Australia

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by wmfoster2001 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:27 am

Have you tried enabling tethering via the iPhone configuration?

Browse to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ from your iphone to generate a config file which you can accept / apply to enable the tethering setting. This is the way I switched corporate iPhones that were "locked" to Optus across to Exetel for web browsing. Does it work for tethering to?

Note: This is not "jailbreaking", "cracking" etc, just changing some config settings that are normally not visible to the end user.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:40 am

We expect to be able to make tethering available 'soon'.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tethering iPhone With Exetel

Post by jokiin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:41 pm

wmfoster2001 wrote:Have you tried enabling tethering via the iPhone configuration?

Browse to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ from your iphone to generate a config file which you can accept / apply to enable the tethering setting. This is the way I switched corporate iPhones that were "locked" to Optus across to Exetel for web browsing. Does it work for tethering to?
.
that only works for tethering up until version 3.0, if you are running a later firmware version it doesn't work unfortunately

Post Reply