ADSL Plans/$10 - $25 Per Month Discounts

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

ADSL Plans/$10 - $25 Per Month Discounts

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:30 pm

We have been looking in to 'bundling' as almost 50% of the customers who churn away from Exetel to Telstra cite the 'bundling' discounts made their mind up.

We think we could discount the ADSL1 and ADSL2 plans by between $10 and $25 a month if a customer signed up for a 24 month mobile service.

We could discount the ADSL1 or ADSL2 plans by a further $5 a month if a customer signed up for long distance pre-select.

So, if a customer signed up for an Optus $79 a month capped mobile plan and preselected STD/IDD/CTM with Exetel their monthly ADSL bill could decrease by $25.00 each month.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

robjw

Re: ADSL Plans/$10 - $25 Per Month Discounts

Post by robjw » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Bundling is something I have on my wish list. With a mobile plan about to end, having a one-stop-shop for iPhone mobile, adsl, home phone landline (if I keep it), potentially iPad etc would be great. I'd look closely at anything exetel was able to offer in this area. 'Long distance pre-select' (?) - doesn't the likes of Skype etc push this aside?

kiwigene

Post by kiwigene » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:22 pm

I'm currently on OTA (phone + ADSL2+) for $50.

I also have two mobiles (PAYG) and pay maybe $5pm for each (we're not big users).

I guess I wouldn't be the target user - but the idea sounds interesting.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:31 pm

kiwigene wrote:I'm currently on OTA (phone + ADSL2+) for $50.

I also have two mobiles (PAYG) and pay maybe $5pm for each (we're not big users).

I guess I wouldn't be the target user - but the idea sounds interesting.
You use mobile like I do - very little - and therefore Exetel's low end plans suit you - as they do me.

However Exetel is almost alone as a supplier to the low user market.

The "capped" plan phenomenon is rampant and, seemingly, the majority of mobile telephone users sit between $20 and $50 of spending per month.

Exetel, at best, provides services to around 1.5% of Australian communications users so we have no need to provide wide plan spectra - the new Optus plans with no charge for data to nominated social networking sites probbly suit the sort of customers who are being 'lured away' by Telstra's "low cost" ADSL achieved by bundling mobile and other services.

jonzei

Post by jonzei » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:01 pm

My scenario is that every 2 years Telstra gives me a free brand new mobile phone then I go on a $40/month with 1 hr/day free calls to any number in Australia.
So my question is:
- can Optus match that offer?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:06 pm

jonzei wrote:My scenario is that every 2 years Telstra gives me a free brand new mobile phone then I go on a $40/month with 1 hr/day free calls to any number in Australia.
So my question is:
- can Optus match that offer?
As you would probably know Optus competes very aggressively in the mobile telephone market with some noticeable success.

Whether the latest capped plans suit your personal circumstances - only you can decide.

amx

Post by amx » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:13 pm

I am on a naked ADSL2 plan with three mobiles. Two of them are on very low usage, and one is on moderate usage ($50/m).
At the moment we have close to no mobile data usage.
Any bundling discount would of course be good.

What may push us to a different provider (specially for the mobile plans)
would be better moderate usage rates and also better mobile data rates.

For the ADSL plan a tempting offer was by Telstra for their fibre service (which was only up to 30mbps). At the time I hesitated for a few reasons other than price.

So I guess other than competitive pricing and packaging,
there is also competitive technologies that would be a good incentive to attract/keep customers.

My suggestion would be, yes reduce price please, but more importantly increase limits, add features, add services, etc.
I have to say that extel has been doing so in the past five years that I have been with them.
Every year that I review all our phone/data plans and look at the market, I haven't been compelled enough to switch.
Of course, there were probably times that exetel plans didn't look like the best by a margine of $5-$15, but after considering all switching fees, down time, hassles, etc, it wasn't worth it, and within a couple of months exetel plans were catching up.

Nonetheless I still keep an eye on the market, which means that exetel will need to keep watching as well, and update as necessary.

criten

Post by criten » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:42 pm

For me it all depends on the call rates.

Bigtrev

Post by Bigtrev » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:58 pm

I am not a fan of Mobile Capped Plans from any supplier - so I can't comment on that "bundling" discount.
The "Pre-select long distance" discount does have a few problems.

1) Telstra's rules say "preselection" should not be used on Homeline Budget, so to be legal, you would need to move to a more expensive plan which would negate any discount from Exetel. Telstra may not find out, any you may "get away with it", but I am sure Exetel won't want to be encouraging that.

2) VOIP is a better option than "pre-selection", so how about a similar discount for bundling a VOIP plan for 12, 24, 36 months?

3) Exetel's VOIP competes very well with Skype/Gotalk etc for calling landlines and mobiles - especially Australian landlines, as the call is untimed (unlike Skype). Obviously we can't compete with free Skype to Skype - nobody can.

Dozzy

Post by Dozzy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:51 pm

I live in southern NSW (Minnamurra) where the NBN is currently being built as a pilot site. I am waiting to see what broadband bundle deals can be offerred under this new fibre optic technology. I am currently using a Virgin mobile phone ($35/month plan) which I understand runs under Optus. Is exetel planning on offering a service on the new NBN?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Dozzy wrote:I live in southern NSW (Minnamurra) where the NBN is currently being built as a pilot site. I am waiting to see what broadband bundle deals can be offerred under this new fibre optic technology. I am currently using a Virgin mobile phone ($35/month plan) which I understand runs under Optus. Is exetel planning on offering a service on the new NBN?
As far as I know, there are no dates for mainland 'NBN2' delivery other than mid 2011.

Again, as far as I know, there are no contractual details for 'NBN2' resellers.

eagle241

Post by eagle241 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:43 pm

I would do this right away if only Optus had the cover Telstra has. I have been on Telstra mobile for 10 years and yes -Telstra is more expensive than Optus but the coverage is there. I see too many of my colleagues moving their iPhone and other smart phone accounts from Optus as they are sick of drop outs - even in the middle of Brisbane

hohum

Post by hohum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:48 pm

I spend something in the order of $65 for foxtel + iq + entertainment channels, 2x $50 or so with 3 for a 2 year contract that expires in 7 months that gave me a Nokia 2x E71, $50 or $60 (I forget) for extel naked ADSL2+ and probably somewhere near $30 per month on calls through that. My daughter uses Vodafone prepay for about $30 per month. So that's about $245 or thereabouts in telecommunication/paytv costs.

I think you'd have Foxtel bundling there too, no? I regard Foxtel's offerings as a rip-off and would be interested also in a iptv offering from exetel if there's margin there.

Further down the track now that the NBN is going ahead I'm VERY keen to see what will happen with that. I suspect it'll be the same old story - fibre speeds but outrageous charges if you actually use those speeds. The upload speed is what I want. I want to be able to host at a faster speed.

For now, though, yes - be interested in seeing offers. 3/vodafone merge make their network much better for coverage than what it is - reselling NextG would be cool too if the prices were within cooee of reasonable.

etheesdad

Post by etheesdad » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Nope.

We use TPG for mobile phone. Here's why:

1. NO contract. Can opt in or out at any time.
2. Best mobile phone rates anywhere. Period.

So when you talk about bundling with OPTUS and a 12-24 month contract, thats of no interest to me whatsoever. They are expensive, and they are OPTUS :evil:

If you guys were offering mobile phone deals like TPG, I would jump on it. If you were packaging TPG phone packages with it, I would jump on that.

TPG uses the OPTUS network, so no difference in service quality, just a huge saving on price.

Thanks for the chance to provide feedback. Seriously, if you guys offered phone deals anything like what they've got you'd be onto a winner :)

David R

Post by David R » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:00 pm

I wouldnt have imagined Exetel had mobile revenue to lose but if a discount helps to retain it or even attract someone new then I suppose this be in the interest of Exetel and the users, alternatively, if bundling is codeword for an increase on 'Telstra/standalone internet'-price, then I can't see myself being too keen about that.

PS: As I'm just not the sort to spend $30, let alone $70, on 'Voice' :o (legacy $10 pm "3/VHA" network client), I'll leave this kind offer for others to take up
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.