Wired and wireless home networking
Dinocool

2 Phone Lines 2 Isp's

Post by Dinocool » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi, second time poster here

i'm having quite a strange problem...

We have 2 phone lines running into our house, each phone line has its own ISP

(i have seperate net to my parents)

now, recently we had someone from telstra come to fix one of lines as it was crackling and such (this line was the line that was connected to the other isp)

now, after the telstra guy came and fixed my parents phone line, both out phonelines were working as per usual.

i could connect to my internet, and she could connect to hers.

now, a day later and all of a sudden my net cant connect to the DSL.

after performing tons of diagnostic checks, isolation tests and so on and so forth, i took my mom's modem (knowing it could connect to the net) and tried it,
to my suprise as soon as i disconnected her modem, my modem suddenly sprang to life and connected to the DSL.

HOWEVER, it could not authorise or connect to the isp.

so out of a rising suspicion i tried my mom's isp details... and it connected.

so after many tests i came to this conclusion:

Now both my phonelines connect to my parents isp.
HOWEVER i can still ring my phone on my phoneline and it will pickup and ring her phone on her phoneline, so the phonelines are still seperate.

any ideas as to why this happened?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: 2 Phone Lines 2 Isp's

Post by jokiin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:05 pm

if it's a Telstra wholesale based service you often can login with an alternate Telstra wholesale providers ISP details, maybe double check your settings

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Dinocool wrote:as soon as i disconnected her modem, my modem suddenly sprang to life and connected to the DSL.HOWEVER, it could not authorise or connect to the isp.
so out of a rising suspicion i tried my mom's isp details... and it connected.
Now both my phonelines connect to my parents isp.
Doesn't sound like any simple authentication issue. It sounds like your line has gotten its ADSL codes replaced with codes from your parents' ISP.

I'm no technical expert, but my understanding is that authentication is on a user name basis, not a physical line basis. So you could probably use your parents' login at any person's house who uses the same ISP (at least, that's how it works with Exetel). This means that Telstra probably screwed up your line somehow. I'd suggest opening a ticket (see sig) to get things sorted out
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:07 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
I'm no technical expert, but my understanding is that authentication is on a user name basis, not a physical line basis. So you could probably use your parents' login at any person's house who uses the same ISP (at least, that's how it works with Exetel). This means that Telstra probably screwed up your line somehow. I'd suggest opening a ticket (see sig) to get things sorted out
I've used different ISP's on the same line before, depends on which ones are involved but it is certainly possible