Off Peak Periods

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Off Peak Periods

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am

The current off peak period implementations have been very successful in spreading the 'heavy' use of the the network over the lesser used periods of the day.

There may now be some scope for re-looking at extending the 'off peak' period and we would welcome customer suggestions on how best this could be done.

You can see the current overall usage of the network here:

http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php

All suggestions will be welcome.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by jokiin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm a fairly light user so this doesn't really matter for me one way or another but what I would like to see is if the determination is that there should be extra hours of off peak included would be to add it gradually, eg if you decide an extra 6 hours is in order maybe add an extra 2 hours each month over a 3 month period so that nobody drastically changes their downloading habits to the detriment of the other users

for new users you could probably introduce a bigger limit straight away (understand from a marketing perspective that the longer off peak is more desirable) without it impacting the network, may not be easy to have staggered sets of usage though so perhaps not practical as such, just a thought anyway :)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:00 pm

A good thought.

Aquard

Post by Aquard » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Is it time or quota that is more important when considering off peak periods?

I'd rather halve the available quota and return to a 12-12 peak / offpeak split. Ie, 12 hours peak, 12 off.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:07 pm

Aquard wrote:I'd rather halve the available quota and return to a 12-12 peak / offpeak split. Ie, 12 hours peak, 12 off.
I agree. I think with all the "unlimited" and high quota plans on the market now, Exetel could seek to distinguish themselves by establishing a (relatively) low quota, but long duration, off-peak period.

Undoubtedly, some users would like to see "unmetered content" implemented too, but I think this is open to too much abuse and the concept of a simple "off-peak quota" is much more controllable and flexible for most users.

For a crazier suggestion, how about returning to a 12 hour period, with a lower quota, but introduce a "happy hour"! One hour, chosen by the user (perhaps restricted to the period 2am to 8am) that is "unlimited". For ADSL1, plans are already "unlimited" so this is relevant only for ADSL2+ but it is one way of providing a "partially unlimited ADSL2+". Theoretical cost of this feature might be 100-150GB or so. I personally wouldn't utilise it, but it has capacity to push usage into underutilised periods. Maybe structure it as an add-on purchase for either "peak happy hour" or "off-peak happy hour" at different prices accordingly. This could then be utilised by families on low usage plans to purchase an "unlimited hour" in the evening for, say, watching internet TV.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

dannyg1985

Post by dannyg1985 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Thought I would never be saying this. I am actually happy with the current off peak/on peak times.

Since switching to Telstra ADSL 2, I believe the peaks times work well with my connection speed.

If I was to remain on the 1.5MB plans I feel that it would be necessary to increase the peak time by at least 2 hours, say from 12am-8am. Not fully aware of the current plans but making the download allowance for around 100GB for off peak would be ideal for most users, and leaving the current allowance as for on peak as is.

Mag

Post by Mag » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 pm

You can probably extend it from 23:00 to 14:00 without change to the quota.
Just my $1.53c

grendelan

Post by grendelan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Well I agree with dannyg1985 , I am very happy with the hours since Exetel kicked in ADSL2 for we neglected Regionals . Downloads are scheduled at 4am and I have had no speed problems at all . If I were still on ADSL1 though, I could see a case for expanded times .

Bluemystic

Post by Bluemystic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:53 pm

How about giving an option to users about off-peak:

Option 1: Plan stays the same as it is.

Option 2: Off-peak is extended to 12 hours BUT during this 12 hour period download speed will be limited on a minute-to-minute basis depending on the current load on your bandwidth. When demand for DL is high exetel can throttle the speed down so that total bandwidth for exetel at any time during the off peak never really goes above an upper limit determined by exetel.

Option 2 would mainly be aimed at people who turn on a downlaod manager and go to bed, they don't care about on-demand speed as much as someone up late gaming who needs speed constantly.

baznet

Post by baznet » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi all
from the MRTG graph of the Exetel bandwidth 14:00 to 16:00 looks like a good time to include in the free download off peak period
kind regards baz

matt90

Post by matt90 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Would this cover existing users, for example I'm on the plan that goes from 2am to 8am. I reckon it would be handy if it started at 12am instead so I could fit in some youtube before I go to sleep 8) & maybe an option for early risers 4am to 10am. Or just 12am to 10am but four extra hours might cost Exetel too much therefor I'm looking at 1am to 9am.

If I remember correctly the contract I signed states Exetel must offer a minimum 6 hours each night and their allowed to change the times around.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:28 pm

I tend to play games from 12 noon to 3am, please don't extend it to a period earlier then 3am.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8729259527 (during low neighbourhood congestion)

wooknic

Post by wooknic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Off peak periods for ADSL2 services could be in two blocks
the exiting 4am to 10am is fine
Adding 2pm-6pm I would find very useful.

another option I would find useful would be reducing to 4am- 8am the off peak over night period and adding 2pm-6pm period or (even 2pm-4pm).

I agree with other people who posted ADSL2 speeds allow me to download what I need in the 4am-10am block.
But sometimes I find the network lags 8am-10am if I am doing online work or gaming at these hours.
Gaming in the morning does allow teaming with north American players.

I have also moved recently upgraded from adsl1 (8mb/384k) to adsl2 over telstra, only gained 10% download but 150% upload which for me was still worth it. strangely I beleive the connection is more stable, I am in rural NSW.

TheToid

Post by TheToid » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:48 pm

I also play games up to 4am in the morning, I would not to see the off-peak changed to before that period, it would be good if you could extend it to midday instead of 10am though.
TheToid

Les

Post by Les » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:52 pm

I'd rather halve the available quota and return to a 12-12 peak / offpeak split. Ie, 12 hours peak, 12 off.
Exetel could seek to distinguish themselves by establishing a (relatively) low quota, but long duration, off-peak period.
In line with the above comments I would like to suggest your consider allowing customers to select either:-

1/ A 6 hour off-peak period in which the download quota is in line with the current download quota.

or

2/ A 12 hour off-peak period in which with download quota is limited to 50% or 100% peak download quota for the selected plan.

On a side point whilst I can understand the desire to offer plans which appear competitive within the market place, during the 6 1/2 years I've been with Exe tel I've found that each time Exe tel has offered plans or off peak periods with unlimited/uncounted downloads the actions of a small minority has always impacted the vast majority of customers who have low/moderate usage requirements and do the right thing.

As such my preference would be to see Exe tel focus on those customers that seek great reliable services at reasonable prices by avoiding offering plans or off-peak periods with unlimited/uncounted downloads or excessively large off-peak download quotas.