Modem recommendations

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
Jyrn

Modem recommendations

Post by Jyrn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:39 pm

It looks like my old D-link ADSL2 modem has packed it in. I have been looking around for new modems and would like peoples thoughts about the reliability and quality of different brands.

Brands I have seen include
Link-sys
Netgear
Netcomm
Belkin
D-Link
Added: Billion

I anyone has comments, good or bad, about any of the brands I woul love to here them.
Last edited by Jyrn on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Modem recommendations

Post by Dazzled » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:18 pm

If I had to rank that list, I'd personally put Linksys and Netcomm at the top and Belkin and D-Link at the bottom. All are domestic models and all sacrifice longevity to varying degrees to meet price points, particularly regarding power components, so overheating is an important consideration too (eg get a large well ventilated case). I'd prefer though either of Dynalink RTA1025W (modem/router) or Dynalink RTA1046VW (VoIP ATA added). Although handled by Netcomm after a buy-out of the local and NZ operation, they are from Askey (Taiwan) and have different firmware from the NB series. They use a Broadcom chipset. Specs at http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/dynalink/.

Have a browse of http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/ for a range of decent units. If you want to lay out more, or just dream, perve at the upper end of the Draytek Vigor range.

If you want to spend as little as possible, get a TP-Link (a Chinese brand).

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:40 pm

Netcomm NB4PLUS4W has been a good reliable unit for me for the last 3 years
Guess it depends on what functionality you need - eg wireless (g or n), VOIP etc
There's plenty of advice/discussion over in the WP thread on DSL hardware @ http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/82

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Dazzled wrote:
If you want to spend as little as possible, get a TP-Link (a Chinese brand).
I have to say, I use a TP-Link modem and get rock solid performance from it, best $38 I ever spent, I've had some much more expensive units in the past and it puts them to shame

Jyrn

Post by Jyrn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:01 pm

I guess I should clarify what I am looking for.

I would prefer an ADSL2+ modem with 4x ethernet ports and wireless (G or N - don't care). I would include VOIP as well if it doesn't add to much extra. Though I already have a functioning ATA.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Jyrn wrote:I guess I should clarify what I am looking for.

I would prefer an ADSL2+ modem with 4x ethernet ports and wireless (G or N - don't care). I would include VOIP as well if it doesn't add to much extra. Though I already have a functioning ATA.
what sort of ATA do you have?

Jyrn

Post by Jyrn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:15 pm

jokiin wrote:
what sort of ATA do you have?
Netcomm V300. Has PSTN fallover but I am now on Naked so that is not much use any more.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:30 pm

Don't chuck out the V300. They work well and even with a new one you might need a spare. They were superseded by the excellent V210p and V220.

The Dynalink RTA1046VW otherwise ticks all boxes, is dead easy to configure and is reasonably priced from on-line dealers. Note that no modem/router/ATA unit generates help requests here like Billion, so research one of these for the details before buying.

Jyrn

Post by Jyrn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:42 pm

Dazzled wrote: Note that no modem/router/ATA unit generates help requests here like Billion, so research one of these for the details before buying.
Thanks Dazzled. I have seen a number of Billions around and they seem well featured but I had a nagging feeling that there were better options available. Your comments confirms this.

At this stage I am leaning towards a Netcomm as I can get them at a good price here in Canberra, I have used them successfully before and your comments above suggest they are a reliable brand.

jimdigris

Post by jimdigris » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:10 pm

I had a netcomm nb6plus4w for two years and it was a POS. First the cat5 connections failed one by one until only one was left working and if power went off it would take up to an hour before it would work. The LAN would sometimes take forever to transfer files after the other three connections failed. Then the wireless started dropping out about every half an hour and to top things off then the adsl2+ would lose sync and drop out randomly, sometimes 20 times a day!

Last week I bought a Billion 7800N and it is awesome, it has not had one drop out, the wirless and LAN are heaps faster as well. Very happy with it. It also syncs at nearly 20000 and I average 14mb/s downloads, sometimes peaking up to 18, previously the highest it would go with the netcomm was 12mb/s but was all over the place

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:43 pm

jimdigris wrote:I had a netcomm nb6plus4w for two years and it was a POS. First the cat5 connections failed one by one until only one was left working and if power went off it would take up to an hour before it would work. The LAN would sometimes take forever to transfer files after the other three connections failed. Then the wireless started dropping out about every half an hour and to top things off then the adsl2+ would lose sync and drop out randomly, sometimes 20 times a day!
Given they have a 3 year warranty on them I'm surprised you didn't arrange for a repair under warranty given the issues you had
I've had my NB6PLUS4W for three years and never had one problem with it

jimdigris

Post by jimdigris » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:06 pm

really? I didnt know that. The online store I bought it from said 12 months warranty. I'll contact netcomm and see if I can get it repaired/replaced for a spare

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:52 pm

jimdigris wrote:really? I didnt know that. The online store I bought it from said 12 months warranty. I'll contact netcomm and see if I can get it repaired/replaced for a spare
You should have recieved details of the option to register for an additional 2 years warranty in the packaging accompanying the unit - however you needed to register within 30 days of purchase - see http://www.netcomm.com.au/support/frequ ... r-warranty - but you can try them - tell them you registered, I bet their records aren't that rock solid and as far as I know they want happy customers and stand behind their products

coref1

Post by coref1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Dazzled wrote:Don't chuck out the V300. They work well and even with a new one you might need a spare. They were superseded by the excellent V210p and V220.

The Dynalink RTA1046VW otherwise ticks all boxes, is dead easy to configure and is reasonably priced from on-line dealers. Note that no modem/router/ATA unit generates help requests here like Billion, so research one of these for the details before buying.

I'm looking for a replacement for my nb9w due to it's increasingly unreliable wireless connection. The Billion 7800n seems to come up no1 more then most on the various forums but your post indicates they're unreliable. Also Choice rated the ASUS RT-N12 tops so I've got no idea. I've got two laptops, one tivo and a bluray player connected wirelessly plus xbox, one computer and another tivo connected by ethernet. In the process of switching to the ocv200 plan so hope to have no need for voip soon. Can you give me some idea on what modem router would be most capable?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Billion make very good routers, but configuring their VoIP successfully in all-in-one units can be difficult. I was referring to the frequent help requests. Their DMZ implentation can be funny too as Jokiin reminded us today.

I usually equip my friends and non-tech family with simple Dynalink RTA1046VW all-in-one wireless units. (Use the very new firmware downloadable from this forum). I think of the Asus RT-N* series for their large internal RAM and the ability to chuck out the built-in firmware and run open source Linux gateway router systems. The biggest of them when converted can actually be set up as an Asterix box, so these are serious devices for the technical fiddler.

If the Netcomm is ok apart from wireless, you could put a wireless unit behind it fed by cable and keep using the modem/router/VoIP side of the Netcomm. TP-Link has some quite affordable high power access points to pick from at $50-$70. This would be the cheapest way out.

You have quite a full home network. I hope it doesn't all run at once.