Off Peak Periods

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Post Reply
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:20 pm

We seem to be going in circles. All I'm saying is that, contrary to your post of 1:18pm, there is nothing to suggest that off-peak periods *will* be extended. I'm sure it is "on the table" but you'll have to wait until 1 December to find out.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Col
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: NSW

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by Col » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:06 am

CoreyPlover wrote:We seem to be going in circles. All I'm saying is that, contrary to your post of 1:18pm, there is nothing to suggest that off-peak periods *will* be extended. I'm sure it is "on the table" but you'll have to wait until 1 December to find out.
Though it would be handy for those on old plans with off peaks of 12-12 or 2-12 etc (who haven't moved to new plans due to the short off peak) to know before the change plan cut-pff date for a Dec 1st change so they can decide and move to a new plan with a possible 8 or 10 or whatever hour off peak if such a thing eventuates. Fair enough it is out of our hands and the only person who decides to release info is JL, but I'm just asking is all.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:41 am

No decision has been reached.

The likeliest scenario is that the 2am to 8am and 4 am to 10 am plans will have off peak increased by 2 hours.

No changes are contemplated for the older plans with 12 hour off peak periods.

However, nothing has been decided.

Any decisions will be stated in the December news letter and on this forum and, of course, will be reflected in the user facilities.

No 'announcement' will be made before that to guard against those customers who would then complain that "I only went over because I thought the new times applied immediately".

No-one wants to go through that sort of nonsense again.

Vaust
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:41 pm
Location: brisbane

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by Vaust » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:01 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Vaust wrote:hey guys,

i disagree with 12 -12 because that defeats the purpose of having a higher peak for me....

12- 6 or 12-8 is a great idea! or anything earlier than the standard 4-10...



and a happy hour at 6pm-7pm :D im asking to much haha worth a try
The purpose of offering a six hour uncharged period is so that a customer can do all of their downloads in that period and therefore 'preserving' the other 18 hours of the day for non-download internet activities.

6 hours a day allows between 120 gb and 180 gb to be downloaded - depending on the speed of the line actually achieved.

Extending the time will, for 99.99% of Exetel's current users actually provide no more useful downloading ability - they don't download that much currently.

Extending the off peak time period beyond 6 hours will reduce the 'peak' period counting of data towards the plans allowance and would benefit some users as they would be 'awake' to use the time for general internet usage.

With the amount of peak allowance now included in most Exetel plans this may not turn out to be of benefit to that many users.

Very, very few Exetel customers actually exceed their peak download allowances.

What seems to be of value, reading the replies to this thread, is that so many Exetel customers do not understand how to use a download manager.
i understand this ... u misread what ive said.. more liekly the way ive said it....

"12- 6 or 12-8 is a great idea! or anything earlier than the standard 4-10... "
i mean that 12am-6am or 12am-8 am

alot of people go to bed 10ish or eailer so an earlier off peak peroid would land more of my downloading in off peak rather than peak times. which would allow more use of my off peak.

sorry for the confusing post

ty admin for replying

bodogbodog
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:15 am

It's ALL upside - so happy to see any review / revision
Personally I've just given up my 2am-2pm off peak period and moved to a plan with 4am-10am - and it won't impact me one bit as the new plans peak period gives me 50gb - more than i have EVER downloaded in total (peak/off peak) in any month over the last 6 years. The plan change I've made saves me 25% off what I pay now for Phone/ADSL2/Mobile - and I get a massive increase in my overall download allowance: What's not to like :D
I realise some people need more download allowance but there's lots of plans out there now with huge allowances. People just need to spend a few minutes reviewing their options.

David R
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:39 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by David R » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Telstra's Wholesale is metered/ unmanaged + overchaged at $1 per GB - that is specifically not to like.
  • A _marked_ deterioration compared against my current: 'shaped' +'Unmetered until "2.00 PM"' service.
  • Now I consider it is time i received ADSL2+,
Thus..... If I don't see something *I do* like in the next few days, suppplied, some good will perhaps for Christmas time this may turn out the final Christmas I choose to 'reward' Exetel - and I do also happen to contribute to a ~$3pGB rate on data.

I won't be foolish to be bought by forward looking statements about which Exetel 'promise' to enhance its network robustness; I've submitted sufficient blue prints to the extent that those were ignored-or "no time had been available".

I will be making some calculations.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:24 pm

David R wrote:Telstra's Wholesale is metered/ unmanaged + overchaged at $1 per GB - that is specifically not to like.
  • A _marked_ deterioration compared against my current: 'shaped' +'Unmetered until "2.00 PM"' service.
  • Now I consider it is time i received ADSL2+,
Thus..... If I don't see something *I do* like in the next few days, suppplied, some good will perhaps for Christmas time this may turn out the final Christmas I choose to 'reward' Exetel - and I do also happen to contribute to a ~$3pGB rate on data.

I won't be foolish to be bought by forward looking statements about which Exetel 'promise' to enhance its network robustness; I've submitted sufficient blue prints to the extent that those were ignored-or "no time had been available".

I will be making some calculations.
Good luck with finding a better/cheaper/more flexible/better supported ISP than Exetel. Some facts:

1) Exetel loses money every month it is providing residential ADSL services....because it's objective is to provide the lowest cost/highest quality ADSL services to Australian residential users. Only the profits made on other services allow Exetel to stay in business. This is not a complaint it's what we planned to do.

2) Exetel have never made "future promises" about anything - in terms of our network or anything else. The Exetel network is currently, and always has been highly reliable.

3) Exetel donates one third of the money it makes to preventing the extinction of Australian species, one third goes to the ATO (to help fund other Australians generally) and the remaining third we fritter away on new routers/switches/other hardware needed to provide communications.

4) We just ran an ad for someone to do one third of my current job at a base salary of 30% greater than I pay myself for doing 100% of it. I can't remember the last time Exetel paid its shareholders a dividend. I have never received a performance bonus.

5) The sad thing is that should you leave Exetel and move somewhere else the company may be minisculey better off for your departure because it costs us more to provide a customer with a monthly ADSL service than we receive in monthly payments on average.

6) While you do make many recommendations you do not have any facts that would allow you to understand the constraints that exist in providing ADSL services by a company of Exetel's size. Nor do you have the rest of the facts available to you that all such decisions must be based on. Because you don't have such information you cannot comprehend what is involved. No-one outside the upper management of an ISP can do that....and mostly struggle to find ways of doing that after years of study.

...but then...you have always expressed views that indicate you think Exetel's management is not as competent as you in making such decisions and, who knows, you may be right. Unfortunately you will need to start up your own ISP to prove the correctness of that self assessment.

Spectator
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:52 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by Spectator » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:27 pm

David R

If you go I guess that means you won't be making your sometimes confusing, sometimes insulting, sometimes threatening posts? (At least that's how I read them) If so I'm sure they will be sorely missed.

You seem to have an expectation that any suggestion you make should be automatically taken up. Personally I realise that exetel has to balance the many preferences of customers (which I think this thread demonstrates are often conflicting) and its own objectives. While I appreciate the many communication channels exetel has for making suggestions and the fact that they do seem to act on some of them, it really is up to them to decide how they offer their services.

If I find a better deal for me I may take it up (i'm not a fanatical exetel supporter), I may also advise exetel of the deal so they can consider if they want to respond but I don't think your aggressive style is helping matters.

I realise I'm being a bit hypocritical, so I'll stop now.

Franpa
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Australia, QLD

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by Franpa » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:52 pm

Vaust wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
Vaust wrote:hey guys,

i disagree with 12 -12 because that defeats the purpose of having a higher peak for me....

12- 6 or 12-8 is a great idea! or anything earlier than the standard 4-10...



and a happy hour at 6pm-7pm :D im asking to much haha worth a try
The purpose of offering a six hour uncharged period is so that a customer can do all of their downloads in that period and therefore 'preserving' the other 18 hours of the day for non-download internet activities.

6 hours a day allows between 120 gb and 180 gb to be downloaded - depending on the speed of the line actually achieved.

Extending the time will, for 99.99% of Exetel's current users actually provide no more useful downloading ability - they don't download that much currently.

Extending the off peak time period beyond 6 hours will reduce the 'peak' period counting of data towards the plans allowance and would benefit some users as they would be 'awake' to use the time for general internet usage.

With the amount of peak allowance now included in most Exetel plans this may not turn out to be of benefit to that many users.

Very, very few Exetel customers actually exceed their peak download allowances.

What seems to be of value, reading the replies to this thread, is that so many Exetel customers do not understand how to use a download manager.
i understand this ... u misread what ive said.. more liekly the way ive said it....

"12- 6 or 12-8 is a great idea! or anything earlier than the standard 4-10... "
i mean that 12am-6am or 12am-8 am

alot of people go to bed 10ish or eailer so an earlier off peak peroid would land more of my downloading in off peak rather than peak times. which would allow more use of my off peak.

sorry for the confusing post

ty admin for replying
And some people like to stay up late (like me) playing games and watching videos and such, shifting off peak back to an earlier time slot will crush any ability to play games late at night without large periods of lag and poor quality internet for streaming footage etc.

The shift to 4am I didn't like at first but when I saw how improved everything was from midnight up 'till I sleep, I fell in love with it. (My parents, not so much >.>")
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8729259527 (during low neighbourhood congestion)

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:40 pm

From tomorrow the plans that currently have 6 hour periods will have them extended by two hours:

2 am to 8 am will become 2 am to 10 am

4 am to 10 am will become 4 am to noon.

No current user need do anything to receive these increases.

ronald
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by ronald » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Awesome, thank you! :-)

Is there any way for users to change between those two off-peak periods?

Best Regards,

Ronald

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:57 pm

ronald wrote:Awesome, thank you! :-)

Is there any way for users to change between those two off-peak periods?

Best Regards,

Ronald
No. It was one of the recommendations and it's still being considered but, right now, it's far too complicated.

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:From tomorrow the plans that currently have 6 hour periods will have them extended by two hours:

2 am to 8 am will become 2 am to 10 am

4 am to 10 am will become 4 am to noon.

No current user need do anything to receive these increases.
My Members Facilities page still says:

Off-Peak | Period Option: 2:00 am to 8:00 am

and I'm on the OTAW plan.

Is it changing for everyone and just hasn't updated yet, or will it not change for those not on current offerable plans?

Mr Creosote
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:07 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by Mr Creosote » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:38 pm

thomashouseman wrote: My Members Facilities page still says:

Off-Peak | Period Option: 2:00 am to 8:00 am

and I'm on the OTAW plan.

Is it changing for everyone and just hasn't updated yet, or will it not change for those not on current offerable plans?
I'm guessing that this element of the user facilities is not updated yet, because I just changed plan to T8192-A, which wasadvertised as 4am - 10am off-peak (now 4am to 12pm), but the user facility still says 2am to 8am of my old plan.
Stress is a genetic disorder.....you get it from your kids !

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Off Peak Periods

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:40 pm

i have asked someone competent to reply.

Post Reply