Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Re: Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:57 pm

Dazzled wrote:I manage an often absent family member's affairs, whose service usually uses a couple of gigs a month on a Powertel $30 plan, now facing a $15 increase for much more data that won't be used. Telstra's phone fees are on top of that. I could cop the no-change surcharge, or I could try and find my power of attorney and either shift the service to an Optus bundle at $55 or drop ADSL completely for wireless broadband at about the same total cost. It is for me, of course, to guess what is best. I'm male, so I'll be wrong any way.

However the thought that comes to mind is that these might be common courses of action, which would simply erase much Powertel/AAPT business.
It seems to be sensible to have a low cost/low usage option for all plan types. 5 - 10 gb for $30.00 in the case of ADSL with AAPT.

d5.lam

Post by d5.lam » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:08 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
There are no problems in doing that.
ForumAdmin wrote: Again, I remain puzzled as to why anyone thinks paying 10 cents for a VoIP call is somehow an advantage over paying zero for a PSTN call.
Thanks.

And I guess you are right. From reading the specs for the OT200 naked plan seems you can have both PSTN and VOIP handy. So if does work we could switch handsets for making calls through PSTN or VOIP which would be really beneficial.

Sounds pretty good :)

Spectator

Post by Spectator » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Again, I remain puzzled as to why anyone thinks paying 10 cents for a VoIP call is somehow an advantage over paying zero for a PSTN call.
It's not but I guess I was assuming it costs Exetel more for the pstn calls than I pay for voip and that those costs must be passed onto customers in some way and so if they were not included Exetel could potentially offer a cheaper price. Having just reviewed the various plan types that assumption of mine was probably wrong as you don't seem to be adding in any extra into the price for the included calls (direct comparisons aren't possible as the download structure and allowances are different).

I can see why Jokiin is asking if non-naked customers can go onto the new not really naked naked plans as they do appear to be better value. If you do want other customers to consider these plans they probably shouldn't be referred to on the website as naked plans as those it would appeal to most (those that make good use of pstn calls) are least likely to look at them.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:52 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
jokiin wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: We could look at a $50.00 plan with 10 gb of downloads and with the included free local, national and calls to Optus mobiles.
is there anything similar in the pipeline for customers on Optus plans currently, something that has some kind of data allowance and phone calls included? The deal for the current naked users is quite good I feel
These are Optus services.
Maybe I misunderstood, the deal for current naked users looks really good to have phone line and internet and calls included, if someone is on a current Exetel Optus based plan that already has a phone line can they get these plans too? (I checked the member facilities of the user and it didn't seem to be available), understand if not but I know more than a few users that would find those plans attractive

chrisphillips73

Post by chrisphillips73 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:12 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Again, I remain puzzled as to why anyone thinks paying 10 cents for a VoIP call is somehow an advantage over paying zero for a PSTN call.
I could be wrong, but the implication is that 'free' is generally not, and the customer is paying indirectly through some other 'fee' (maybe the monthly fee in this case) for something that they don't want/need. It appears from some of the comments that some people just prefer lowest possible price, and pay for what they use. Maybe negotiating a suitable plan with Optus on this basis is very difficult, or possibly simply not in either or both of Exetel or Optus's commercial interests. Again, I could well be completely wrong and a plan on this basis is already offered or will be offered shortly.

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm currently on the ONB Naked plan and am out of contract. I'm looking to switch to the OCV200 plan, does this mean I will no longer be on naked, and my phone line will be reactivated to a fully serviceable line? If this is the case, will my current VOIP number be moved over or will I get a new home number? Just making sure I fully understand before making the switch. I don't even use the VOIP so changing plans doesn't bother me too much, if anything I'll start using the phone again and save my mobile.

d5.lam

Post by d5.lam » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:55 pm

chrisphillips73 wrote:
I could be wrong, but the implication is that 'free' is generally not, and the customer is paying indirectly through some other 'fee' (maybe the monthly fee in this case) for something that they don't want/need.....
I had come to believe the free calls were only to optus landlines, optus national landlines and optus mobiles. Is this right or is it FREE únlimited to ANY landline/national landline (even if it is say, 200 calls) and then extra FREE calls to optus mobiles?

If that is the case then it isn't too bad. I mean i probably make ~80 landline calls and $10 worth of mobile calls. so won't save too much but is good to have

mark4323

Post by mark4323 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:27 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Perhaps you are right and Exetel will not continuing to exist because it sees a need to make a very slight profit from providing services. It would certainly cease to exist if it continued to provide you services at the prices you are currently paying.
Do you work for Exetel? If that is the company's idea of 'customer relations' it will certainly cease to exist

imaximax1

Post by imaximax1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:36 pm

Waughy wrote:I'm currently on the ONB Naked plan and am out of contract. I'm looking to switch to the OCV200 plan, does this mean I will no longer be on naked, and my phone line will be reactivated to a fully serviceable line? If this is the case, will my current VOIP number be moved over or will I get a new home number? Just making sure I fully understand before making the switch. I don't even use the VOIP so changing plans doesn't bother me too much, if anything I'll start using the phone again and save my mobile.
Yes i would like to know this, also
is it still free to change if i'm still in a contract???
And is this still Naked??? im slightly confused with the 'free' calls to landlines, phone calls have never been free before, why now?
is line rental still paid (by anyone)?

If we still get a landline, then whats is the difference to non-naked??

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:38 pm

mark4323 wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: Perhaps you are right and Exetel will not continuing to exist because it sees a need to make a very slight profit from providing services. It would certainly cease to exist if it continued to provide you services at the prices you are currently paying.
Do you work for Exetel? If that is the company's idea of 'customer relations' it will certainly cease to exist
I think you'll find that it's just an honest appraisal of the situation without any sugar coating, selling services at a loss can't go on forever no matter how it's told

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:13 pm

jokiin wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood, the deal for current naked users looks really good to have phone line and internet and calls included, if someone is on a current Exetel Optus based plan that already has a phone line can they get these plans too? (I checked the member facilities of the user and it didn't seem to be available), understand if not but I know more than a few users that would find those plans attractive
The CV plans will be added to the choices for Optus bundled users some time next week.

The offer was really specially developed for Optus 'naked' users and is subsidised by Optus for that one purpose.

hardya

Post by hardya » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Is there any way of changing (possibly through applying for a new service, as it is not an option in user facilities) from ADSL2 with Telephone (Plan OTA out-of-contract) to ADSL2 "Naked" OCV200 Plan 12 month contract (which comes with a non-crippled phone anyway) AND to keep my existing phone number as the new non-crippled PSTN number? (or do i have to lose my number)??

hardya

Post by hardya » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:17 pm

mark4323 wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: Do you work for Exetel? If that is the company's idea of 'customer relations' it will certainly cease to exist
Take it easy dude, you were getting an honest and frank opinion, unlike the spin-doctored crap many other telcos/ISPs try to feed us

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:22 pm

imaximax1 wrote:
Waughy wrote:I'm currently on the ONB Naked plan and am out of contract. I'm looking to switch to the OCV200 plan, does this mean I will no longer be on naked, and my phone line will be reactivated to a fully serviceable line? If this is the case, will my current VOIP number be moved over or will I get a new home number? Just making sure I fully understand before making the switch. I don't even use the VOIP so changing plans doesn't bother me too much, if anything I'll start using the phone again and save my mobile.
Yes i would like to know this, also
is it still free to change if i'm still in a contract???
And is this still Naked??? im slightly confused with the 'free' calls to landlines, phone calls have never been free before, why now?
is line rental still paid (by anyone)?

If we still get a landline, then whats is the difference to non-naked??
"Naked" was always, at least to me, an insane concept. Why take a line, disable half of its capabilities and then pretend you have something useful? Beats me.

So "naked' has absolutely no value to an end user at all - it was some sort of marketing con that some people seemed to find value with for reasons that were never clear to me or anyone else at Exetel.

Optus is subsidising the free calls on this offer so take it for what it's worth - free local, national and calls to mobiles - it is a very valuable offer.

As for it being "is this still naked"? - what are you really asking? ADSL runs over copper PSTN whether the line is crippled for voice signal ranges or not. Does any user really care? There is no advantage in crippling the line capability.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:23 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
jokiin wrote:
The CV plans will be added to the choices for Optus bundled users some time next week.

The offer was really specially developed for Optus 'naked' users and is subsidised by Optus for that one purpose.
ok good to hear, just me jumping the gun before the offer was ready then, for a few people I know this will be really good for them, great deal