Re: Price Increases

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
oldgirl

Post by oldgirl » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:04 pm

I am fed up with companies that offer really good deals to "new" customers the ones that are only there for a short time and who like to get the most out of every dollar they spend. You have confirmed this by your recent actions and blamed us oldies for your business plan failure.

been with you over 5 years, only changed my service once adsl1 1500/256 to adsl2 - still got the same speeds. never use my allowance although I came close for the first time this month which prompted a look at other plans, found the "OT Special" contacted customer service only to be told this would mean approx 3 weeks with no service as I was on AAPT infrastructure. Any change to AAPT plans would cost me $40 no contract or $20 12mth contract. Checked plan details on main site again (couldnt do within member facilities, not available to the old faithfuls), it was gone to be replaced by a whole new set of plans.

The very next day get "the email" and read how Exetel can't absorb the useage charges any longer for "old" - read "loyal" customers, it says I can either pay more or jump ship.
Upon researching if I want to stay with you I find I have 3 choices
Stay: NF/23BYOLINE and pay $10 more for 150gig - overuse at $6/gig - on which plan I have consistently used under half my allowance.
Switch: A30 and pay $15 less for 210gig - overuse at $1/gig, one off charge of $40(no plan) or $20(plan) - on which plan I probably will use the full off peak allowance.
Churn: within exetel from AAPT to Optus infrastructure - off the air for 3 weeks get a bundled service. No included calls but a mobile addon (useless/I need NextG)
Or:
I could jump ship and enjoy some goodies, get a great bundle deal which are all over the place...included calls, bigger downloads, no one off fees.....

I am just checking that I have got this correct...I think I will change to A30
I get an extra 60gigs, but I do have to trade 30 in peak for which I can easily adjust my useage times if I get close to my allowance but if I go over it will only cost $1/gig not $6 as it is and I will also save $15 plan fee every month - this will cost you $180 for the year for which you will charge me a one off fee of $40?
Of course I will ultimately be better off you however will not be. Oh and I can jump off at any time to take up the best bundle offer that I find. As can anyone else who stumbles on your site and has never been loyal as I have - oh they do have to sign up for 12months but in return get $0 one off fee, but I the loyal customer wanted to sign up for 12 months I get slugged $20 according to the advice I got emailed from customer service just last week.
Lucky I am on oldie who believes in "the devil you know.."

Cheers

ForumAdmin

Re: Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:47 pm

oldgirl wrote:I am fed up with companies that offer really good deals to "new" customers the ones that are only there for a short time and who like to get the most out of every dollar they spend. You have confirmed this by your recent actions and blamed us oldies for your business plan failure.

been with you over 5 years, only changed my service once adsl1 1500/256 to adsl2 - still got the same speeds. never use my allowance although I came close for the first time this month which prompted a look at other plans, found the "OT Special" contacted customer service only to be told this would mean approx 3 weeks with no service as I was on AAPT infrastructure. Any change to AAPT plans would cost me $40 no contract or $20 12mth contract. Checked plan details on main site again (couldnt do within member facilities, not available to the old faithfuls), it was gone to be replaced by a whole new set of plans.

The very next day get "the email" and read how Exetel can't absorb the useage charges any longer for "old" - read "loyal" customers, it says I can either pay more or jump ship.
Upon researching if I want to stay with you I find I have 3 choices
Stay: NF/23BYOLINE and pay $10 more for 150gig - overuse at $6/gig - on which plan I have consistently used under half my allowance.
Switch: A30 and pay $15 less for 210gig - overuse at $1/gig, one off charge of $40(no plan) or $20(plan) - on which plan I probably will use the full off peak allowance.
Churn: within exetel from AAPT to Optus infrastructure - off the air for 3 weeks get a bundled service. No included calls but a mobile addon (useless/I need NextG)
Or:
I could jump ship and enjoy some goodies, get a great bundle deal which are all over the place...included calls, bigger downloads, no one off fees.....

I am just checking that I have got this correct...I think I will change to A30
I get an extra 60gigs, but I do have to trade 30 in peak for which I can easily adjust my useage times if I get close to my allowance but if I go over it will only cost $1/gig not $6 as it is and I will also save $15 plan fee every month - this will cost you $180 for the year for which you will charge me a one off fee of $40?
Of course I will ultimately be better off you however will not be. Oh and I can jump off at any time to take up the best bundle offer that I find. As can anyone else who stumbles on your site and has never been loyal as I have - oh they do have to sign up for 12months but in return get $0 one off fee, but I the loyal customer wanted to sign up for 12 months I get slugged $20 according to the advice I got emailed from customer service just last week.
Lucky I am on oldie who believes in "the devil you know.."

Cheers
1) I am unaware of any plan Exetel have ever had with a $6.00 excess charge.

2) The choices for the changing plans, on your User Facilities, are zero for a new contract or $40.00 for no contract

3) Exetel offers CV plans that include free local, national and calls to Optus mobiles

4) You should always do what you believe is in your own best interests

5) Exetel has always tried to do the very best it can for its customers....presumably why over 70% of Exetel customers are with Exetel for over 3 years and we still have 278 (out of 1,000) customers with us for almost seven years.

6) Changing from an AAPT based plan to an Optus based plan has no downtime in almost all cases and an hour or so at worst

7) We value our customers to whom we have provided services at below our costs for the majority of the time they have been with us. It has always been a two way street but with Exetel always giving far more than it gets.

8) I have no idea what your comment about "Exetel's mobiles being useless to you because you require 3G means - obviously the Exetel offers are 3G.

9) Similarly I have no idea what your comment about "being sick of companies that offer great deals to new users while not doing the same to "loyal" current users" - they are identical except new users pay more in terms of an activation fee.

If you don't see it that way....it's absolutely your prerogative; and I'm sorry we have been so inept in delivering that message over the years.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Gidget wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: 1) I am unaware of any plan Exetel have ever had with a $6.00 excess charge.
I believe this excess charge applied to one iteration of the shaped plans once the 2 GB "grace" excess was exceeded.

Gidget
Thank you - I had forgotten that instance.

oldgirl

Post by oldgirl » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:38 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:1) I am unaware of any plan Exetel have ever had with a $6.00 excess charge.

2) The choices for the changing plans, on your User Facilities, are zero for a new contract or $40.00 for no contract

3) Exetel offers CV plans that include free local, national and calls to Optus mobiles

4) You should always do what you believe is in your own best interests

5) Exetel has always tried to do the very best it can for its customers....presumably why over 70% of Exetel customers are with Exetel for over 3 years and we still have 278 (out of 1,000) customers with us for almost seven years.

6) Changing from an AAPT based plan to an Optus based plan has no downtime in almost all cases and an hour or so at worst

7) We value our customers to whom we have provided services at below our costs for the majority of the time they have been with us. It has always been a two way street.

If you don't see it that way....it's absolutely your prerogative; and I'm sorry we have been so inept in delivering that message over the years.
Admin...
I feel you have taken offence at my email and missed the point, I can only confirm everything I said in my post which you dismissed as incorrect, shame you didnt check your facts or ask me to confirm what plan I was on or ask....

1)Now you and Gidget will be aware of a plan...My Plan - and i have my reading glasses on...
Plan Type: NF/23BYOLINE
Monthly Access Charge: $50.00
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 70000
Peak Period Option: 12:00pm - 12:00am
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $6.00
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): 60000
OffPeak Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $6.00
Service Line Speed: ADSL2+
Service Activation Date: 2005-11-15
Contract Period: 6 Months
Initial Contract End Date: 2006-05-15
2) Exetel customer service supplied the figures I quoted I did not pluck them out of the air - the relevant email is below, I would be more than happy to forward the entire email to you if you do not believe me. I assume as forum admin I could trust you with my details although I would not identify the Exetel staffer as they were doing their job.
3)And where do I find these plans I can get A30/A60/A100/A200 and none come with phone - and nothing else. You need to check your facts, not all apples are red.....
4)That is why I wrote the post
5)That is why I have been with them for over 5 years also.....
6)See email below in its entirety
7)At a modest profit surely, be honest no business can afford to consistently run at a loss, even charities make money. Besides the point though, I believe everyone who provides a good service should get paid well. Exetel have provided a good service my comments were based on information that I have received from Exetel and information that I have been able to access on their website. That is why I was going to stay with them even after all the inaccurate information it appears I have received - or have I?, my email came from exetel itself not a forum poster.

The full email I sent to Exetel customer service on 28/29 December and the replies I received.... just to prove I did not lie and I specifically said I wanted to stay with Exetel I also was very pleasant not rude like you were!

To: @exemail.com.au
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: New Plan?? - User 089

Dear B....,
Thank you for your email.
Please note that currently we use 2 different wholesale suppliers for our ADSL2+ services, Optus and AAPT.
And we offer bundled ADSL2+ services (plans such as OT30, OT30/19, OT30/35 etc) via the Optus wholesalers.
According to the pre-service qualification check done based on your telephone number. it seems that currently our bundled ADSL2+ (telephone + ADSL2) plans are available to you at the moment.
Since these 2 wholesale suppliers are on two different infrastructures, there is no direct way to change from your current ADSL2+ service to one of the Naked ADSL2+ services we offer.
The only option available is to cancel your current ADSL2+ service and apply as a new customer for the Bundled ADSL2+ plan.
Therefore to change from your current ADSL2+ (BYO Line) Service to the Bundled ADSL2+ plan, please follow the process outlined below:
1. First terminate your current ADSL2+ service, leaving your telephone line active. (This is necessary as the two plans are via two different suppliers and hence are on two different infrastructures).
- You can do this via your "Secured Member's Facility".
2. Once the internet service has been completely deactivated (this would take approximately 5 to 7 business days), you may apply for a Bundled ADSL2+ service as a new user via http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php
To activate the Bundled ADSL2+ service, it would take 8 to 10 business days provided that our wholesale supplier has confirmed that there is no technical difficulty.
Therefore the downtime you might face with this change roughly would be around 3 weeks.
3. A new 12 month contract applies.
4. Please visit http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php , for associated costs (as you are canceling and re-applying as a new customer)
Please do not hesitate to contact me for further assistance.
Wish you a very happy new year from all at Exetel.

Kind Regards,
Sales Consultant
Exetel Pty Ltd

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, @exemail.com.au wrote:

Thanks for the reply,
The plans on the site have changed again and now I know I am on AAPT I can make sense of them.
The plan I was originally interested in (OT-Special 2) is not listed any more and there is now no plan that offers enough benefits to warrant a change so I will just keep my service as it is.
Just a question for future reference, am I able to change my service to a wireline/broadband one or is there no capacity at my exchange for that (Mullaloo - WA). This high tech stuff is a bit hard to make sense of for an old duck like me!!
Thanks for your help and have a great 2011

Cheers
B

----- Original Message -----
To: <@exemail.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:06 PM
Subject: Re: New Plan?? - User 089

Dear B,

Thank you for your email.
Please note that currently you are having the fastest Internet (ADSL2+) offered by us while you are continuing the telephone line rental with your current telephone provider.
This ADSL2+ service is supplied via the AAPT wholesale network.
Therefore the new plans such as "A30" to "A200" are available to you. Also note that we are bundling mobile services as well on a promotional offer and the relevant plan names are "A30/19", "A60/19", "A30/35" etc.
You can review these plans further via http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php
Below outlined are the two options that are currently applicable, when changing to one of the newly introduced plans within the same speed.
Option 1: A new 12 months contract initiated and the cost of plan change (once-off) is $20.00 only
Option 2: No new contract is initiated (service is continued on a month-to-month basis) and the cost of plan change(once-off) is $40.00 only.
Please confirm which option you would prefer to have along with the new plan as we can arrange the plan change on behalf of you and to have the new plan activated by the 1st of January 2011.

Furthermore I will call you tomorrow to further discuss these options available to you.

Kind Regards,
Sales Consultant
Exetel Pty Ltd

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010, @exemail.com.au wrote:
Hi
I am currently an exetel customer - see attachment for screen dump of my account details. You will see I have been with exetel for over 5 years.
I have been trying to find what plans you offer currently but cant find any options in member facilities for me to change to.
On whirlpool there are several exetel plans that offer substantially increased download limits for around $50 a month. The information on your website seems incomplete and I can't find anything that a current customer can change to these on your website.

I am not sure who our adsl2 service is with (Line? - Telstra/Optus/AAPT?) so can't really work out what options are available for me to change to.
Could you please advise me what plans I am eligible to change my service to while remaining with exetel, as I dont want to change provider if at all possible.
I would like prices & details for plans up to $70/month and with or without a phone.

I hope that you are not like most companies nowadays that only offer really good deals to "new" customers (the ones that are only there for a short time and who like to get the most out of every dollar they spend).
I look forward to quick reply as I would like to make the change in time for next month.
Thank you
B......

FYI I hate foot in mouth I hope you have tasty shoes on....
Sorry to be rude but the reply above warranted no other treatment, everything I said in my post is true and can be verified totally.
Cheers;-))

autron

Post by autron » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:01 pm

oldgirl wrote: Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $6.00
I am sure that after what has probably been very long hours this weekend answering questions that it's hard to keep everything straight but technically there was no plan with a $6 excess charge. I was on a similar plan to yourself. The excess charge was $3 but there was an added amount in return for being given the buffer quota for free. If you were in the habit of consistently exceeding the free buffer then the option to change back to the original plan parameters and the $3 excess charge was there in your member facilities.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:14 pm

oldgirl,

Firstly, in response to "3)And where do I find these plans I can get A30/A60/A100/A200 and none come with phone - and nothing else": OT and OCV plans are on the Exetel site (http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php). It is possible that the indirect migration from AAPT to Optus prevents them from appearing in your Member Facilities.

Secondly, my understanding is the same as yours and the customer support email: that migration from AAPT to Optus incurs 10-15 days downtime. http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... Downgrades also supports this but I too would be very interested to know if there have been any developments that mitigate this downtime.

Thirdly, you say that "the reply above warranted no other treatment" when in actuality you always have the choice to show a little courtesy and decorum in your posts. Whether you choose to do so is an entirely different matter.

Fourthly, could you try to keep posts to a shorter length, or possibly start your own thread (I can move the posts to a new topic if you like). Otherwise it just drowns out the initial purpose of this thread.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

autron

Post by autron » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:40 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Secondly, my understanding is the same as yours and the customer support email: that migration from AAPT to Optus incurs 10-15 days downtime. http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... Downgrades also supports this but I too would be very interested to know if there have been any developments that mitigate this downtime.
Corey, there may have been recent improvement to that. It might be worth checking into how long it takes if the AAPT ADSL and Telephone service are both disconnected and then an Optus activation is done on the vacant line. I think I saw that doing it that way takes days rather than weeks.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:37 am

oldgirl wrote: Sorry to be rude but the reply above warranted no other treatment, everything I said in my post is true and can be verified totally.
Cheers;-))
"Sorry to be rude" is a nonsense statement". If you were sorry to be rude then you wouldn't have been rude in the first place.

I am sorry you found my response to be "rude" - it wasn't intended to be.

I don't think I can be of any help to you. Perhaps someone else can.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:54 am

I've split this topic off from the main post.

As detailed to oldgirl in a PM: OCV plans are being made available to users gradually; it takes time to program the back end coding. But as I said, I doubt they will appear in your Member facilities due to the indirect AAPT to Optus migration path.

On the Exetel web site, under "ADSL2 Plans (400 Exchanges)" (direct link is http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php) under "Premium Plans (Optus Network)" you will see 4 tabs. The first 3 are OT plans the 4th is OCV. The AAPT plans are under "Premium Plans (AAPT Network)" just below the Optus ones

I'm not too sure where this thread has headed, but in order to get thing back on track: oldgirl, if you have any questions you still wish answered, repeat them and I will try my best to respond. But, broadly, given that you are on AAPT infrastructure, A30 seems like a sensible plan choice for you.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

oldgirl

Post by oldgirl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:47 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Gidget wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: 1) I am unaware of any plan Exetel have ever had with a $6.00 excess charge.
I believe this excess charge applied to one iteration of the shaped plans once the 2 GB "grace" excess was exceeded.

Gidget
Thank you - I had forgotten that instance.
Thanks Gidget for reminding me of the shaping option I had back in 19dickety, thankfully it was a start point for searching.
http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... ing_option,

Apparently a remnant left over from the shaping days which had been applied to my plan at some stage, just wish I had been advised. It was not applied because I exceeded the grace excess or because I regularly went over limit. I had selected shaping some stage in the past. I have never gone over limit or been shaped in the entire 5 years I have been with Exetel.

As I never query billing it is unlikely I would never have found this out and reading the wiki it may have trailed me forever without any intervention by myself. Easily sorted out now I have found out what to do.

If this ever pops up again please direct someone to the wiki. I hope this will help someone in the future, believe it or not I think there may be more people like me unaware until something makes them check their account, just quietly using and paying - happy provided their service stays up.

oldgirl

Post by oldgirl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:09 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
under "Premium Plans (Optus Network)" you will see 4 tabs. The first 3 are OT plans the 4th is OCV.
Thanks Corey –
A naked service is not something I would ever consider so I would never have looked under this tab without your explicit instructions. I would never associate it with a functioning wireline, let alone one that has some goodies attached to it. Just wish someone had said “look under the “naked” ADSL2 tab, all is not as it appears”! Instead of quoting OCV, I felt like and most probably looked like a right idiot when I kept saying I could not find it. Especially when others expected it to show up in my user facilities which it most certainly does not. Until the email to customer service there were no plans there but now the suite of A plans is there so all is good.

Unfortunately still not an option due to the lengthy changeover combined with the chance of getting stalled halfway through the process means it is not something I would ever consider. If I dont want to be a hostage to my line provider forever I may be forced to leave Exetel which will be a shame.

Just checked and my user facilities have been updated in the last 10minutes so now I can see OCV.
Last edited by oldgirl on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldgirl

Post by oldgirl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:21 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
oldgirl wrote: Churn: within exetel from AAPT to Optus infrastructure - off the air for 3 weeks get a bundled service. No included calls but a mobile addon (useless/I need NextG)
8) I have no idea what your comment about "Exetel's mobiles being useless to you because you require 3G means - obviously the Exetel offers are 3G.
Thats because I never said that! When taken out of context and requoted it is easy to infer something but these are your words and not mine. :oops:
I never said I was unhappy with Exetel’s service for mobile or internet at any time, however you twisted things to make it look like I had!

I specified NextG - not a choice a necessity for me. I won’t bore you with the technical differences or the coverage, I think everyone is aware of them or at least WA people who travel away from any larger centres are. In my particular circumstances this addon is of no use in other words it is useless. I am forced to use NextG, hence my choice of words “need”. I didn’t elaborate because to be honest I did not expect such a nonsensical reply.

mintaro

Post by mintaro » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

I have been extremely happy with my Exetel service. I am a light user (rarely over 5 GB per month) and I guess I subidise heavy users, which is OK with me. I really don't want to pay $10 more when I use a fraction of what I pay for.

Is there any chance of a lesser use plan at the same price?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:05 am

There are PAYU plans available now too. For example, OT-PAYU = $45 + $1/GB, in your case, would cost around $50pm for ADSL2+ and line rental and A-PAYU = $25 + $2/GB would cost about $35pm and you then add on phone line rental through Telstra. Both of these become more cost effective with bundled mobile plans added on to them.

The Lobster

Post by The Lobster » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:57 pm

I can't create a new thread in this forum for some reason, so I'll post in this thread seeing as my question is related. This is my current situation:
Plan Type: 1500X
Monthly Access Charge: $38.00
Service Surcharge: $10
Service Activation Date: 2008-07-21
Contract Period: 6 Months
Initial Contract End Date: 2009-01-21

I changed to this plan last year. These are the details of the change:
Request Date: 2010-10-02
Current Plan Type: NF/512
Requested Plan Type: 1500X
Effective Date: 2010-11-01
Changing Status: ACTIVE
Exetel Submit Your Application To Telstra On This Date: 2010-10-02

I believe I started a new 6 month contract when I changed plans. That would mean I am now 4 months into that new contract. It seems I'm being charged the $10 service surchage for having an old plan anyway. If I apply to change to a T1.5-PAYU plan now, will I incur the $40 change fee or not? If so I'm better off waiting the two months till my contract expires and doing the change then, I think.

Can anyone clarify the situation for me? Am I misinterpreting the information?

thanks a lot

matt