Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
TheStig

Re: Price Increases For Out Of Contract Customers

Post by TheStig » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:17 pm

Dear ForumAdmin

Quickie question on "free" calls to Local, landline, OPTUS mobile etc etc

Does that include free calls to 13 and 1300 numbers? They are often excluded in small print for mobile caps and unavailable from VOIP services as "special" numbers so just checking if this is the case with this new service?

Thanks
Ian

kayakbird

Post by kayakbird » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:31 pm

I'm currently on the 'old' 1500X plan - I understand my choice is to either do nothing and wear an additional cost of $10 per month or sign up for a new contract to the next least cost new plan T1.5-30 for an extra $12 per month. FYI my maximum monthly peak/offpeak usage over the last 12 months was 6.8gb - averaging only around 5gb per month. A couple of questions/observations:
1. I have read most of the posts on this topic - but can't find where the new contract length is stated, whether 6 months or 12 months?
2. I can see a need to increase downloads in the future (as internet tv takes hold) and guess I am ok with paying the extra $12 pm to jump up to the T1.5-30 plan limits.
3. But not that happy with the need to sign up to a new contract (even with the now-stated $0 cost) ? I've been an Exetel user since early 2008, happy with the service. Why is this additional level of commitment now being sought? My previous plan changes have not required entry into a new contract?
4. The level of feedback on this forum from Exetel and volunteers is excellent. Many thanks for the service.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:21 pm

TheStig wrote:Dear ForumAdmin

Does that include free calls to 13 and 1300 numbers? They are often excluded in small print for mobile caps and unavailable from VOIP services as "special" numbers so just checking if this is the case with this new service?

Thanks
Ian
Those call types are not included

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:24 pm

kayakbird wrote:I'm currently on the 'old' 1500X plan - I understand my choice is to either do nothing and wear an additional cost of $10 per month or sign up for a new contract to the next least cost new plan T1.5-30 for an extra $12 per month. FYI my maximum monthly peak/offpeak usage over the last 12 months was 6.8gb - averaging only around 5gb per month. A couple of questions/observations:
1. I have read most of the posts on this topic - but can't find where the new contract length is stated, whether 6 months or 12 months?
2. I can see a need to increase downloads in the future (as internet tv takes hold) and guess I am ok with paying the extra $12 pm to jump up to the T1.5-30 plan limits.
3. But not that happy with the need to sign up to a new contract (even with the now-stated $0 cost) ? I've been an Exetel user since early 2008, happy with the service. Why is this additional level of commitment now being sought? My previous plan changes have not required entry into a new contract?
4. The level of feedback on this forum from Exetel and volunteers is excellent. Many thanks for the service.
1) ADSL1 = 6 months

2) OK; later in the week there will be a lower cost 1500/256 plan with lower downloads

3) Because it's the only way our carriers provide effective costs

4) Thank you - we have been doing it for seven years.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Shonky wrote:I have just tried to change over from a Z/21INCTEL plan to OT30. It doesn't work... I just get a blank page when I click submit and nothing in the "Change Service Status" page. Not the first time this sort of thing has happened. The moving targets that are the plans can't help the website guys.

I've emailed residentialsales@extel. I wasn't sure which one to email actually.
I've advised the sysadmin concerned.

TheStig

Post by TheStig » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:37 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
TheStig wrote:Dear ForumAdmin

Thanks
Ian
Those call types are not included
In that case can you please point me to the T & C of this new service so we can see exactly what we do and don't get - and what exclusions such as this will cost? So no surprises
I did look but could not find it
Thanks
Ian

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:10 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
2) OK; later in the week there will be a lower cost 1500/256 plan with lower downloads
Awesome! Thank you! Was hoping this would eventuate. Would it be possible for existing 256/64 users to have a cheap "current" plan they can move to if this can help keep costs down (by not moving to 1500/256)?

My wife's grandma is quite happy with 256/64 speeds. She mainly uses if for email and still is impressed at how much faster it is than dial-up. :)

Max usage approx 500mb/month (windows automatic updates), average usage <100mb month.

T.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:54 pm

TheStig wrote: In that case can you please point me to the T & C of this new service so we can see exactly what we do and don't get - and what exclusions such as this will cost? So no surprises
Thanks
Ian
They are on the web site page.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:56 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
Awesome! Thank you! Was hoping this would eventuate. Would it be possible for existing 256/64 users to have a cheap "current" plan they can move to if this can help keep costs down (by not moving to 1500/256)?

My wife's grandma is quite happy with 256/64 speeds. She mainly uses if for email and still is impressed at how much faster it is than dial-up. :)

Max usage approx 500mb/month (windows automatic updates), average usage <100mb month.

T.
With a six dollar price difference it doesn't seem sensible.

TheStig

Post by TheStig » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:56 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
TheStig wrote: In that case can you please point me to the T & C of this new service so we can see exactly what we do and don't get - and what exclusions such as this will cost? So no surprises
Thanks
Ian
They are on the web site page.

Got a PM from Corey with the link Thanks :-)

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:58 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: 1) I am unaware of any plan Exetel have ever had with a $6.00 excess charge.
I believe this excess charge applied to one iteration of the shaped plans once the 2 GB "grace" excess was exceeded.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

imaximax1

Post by imaximax1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:08 pm

stancartmanson wrote:TPG
ADSL2+ with home phone, TOTAL price $65 a month.
UNLIMITED internet, no restrictions, 24hrs a day
UNLIMITED Local phone calls, 24hrs a day, to ANY local number

I think this may be the new plan and ISP for me.

Otherwise I'll be paying $75 a month for 60GB peak and no included phone calls. I'm not sure what the point of staying with Exetel is now.

That's awesome, you joined this forum to say that your leaving.

:P

imaximax1

Post by imaximax1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:31 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
imaximax1 wrote:
Waughy wrote:I'm currently on the ONB Naked plan and am out of contract. I'm looking to switch to the OCV200 plan, does this mean I will no longer be on naked, and my phone line will be reactivated to a fully serviceable line? If this is the case, will my current VOIP number be moved over or will I get a new home number? Just making sure I fully understand before making the switch. I don't even use the VOIP so changing plans doesn't bother me too much, if anything I'll start using the phone again and save my mobile.
Yes i would like to know this, also
is it still free to change if i'm still in a contract???
And is this still Naked??? im slightly confused with the 'free' calls to landlines, phone calls have never been free before, why now?
is line rental still paid (by anyone)?

If we still get a landline, then whats is the difference to non-naked??
"Naked" was always, at least to me, an insane concept. Why take a line, disable half of its capabilities and then pretend you have something useful? Beats me.

So "naked' has absolutely no value to an end user at all - it was some sort of marketing con that some people seemed to find value with for reasons that were never clear to me or anyone else at Exetel.

Optus is subsidising the free calls on this offer so take it for what it's worth - free local, national and calls to mobiles - it is a very valuable offer.

As for it being "is this still naked"? - what are you really asking? ADSL runs over copper PSTN whether the line is crippled for voice signal ranges or not. Does any user really care? There is no advantage in crippling the line capability.
What do u mean an 'insane concept'?? your insane! line rental is (/was) heaps. Although now that i've actually checked out the other ISP's new plans i can see why it may not be worth it.

why would a student want to pay $20 extra a month (half our annual salary) for a phone that then ALLOWS our mothers to call us. I used to be shocked when my friends didnt opt for 'Naked' (they only usually didnt because of the hassle/horrible telstra fees).

"Does any user really care" YES! why would i have asked the question if i didnt care??? if not just for my curiosity.

1) So to confirm, are the new plans (OCV200) on a crippled line? Will my line be re-activated as such (if i do plan do leave exetel later on, will i need to activate my line)
Can u see the confusion? if i go to the exetel website, The "ADSL2+Telephone" plans are different to the "Naked ADSL2" plans (that include a telephone, and may not be a crippled line)

2)Oh and when changing plans, do i just wait [however long it is], then plug my phone in?? will i have any internet down time? or will i just have a phone on the start of Feb

And if we're putting up corrections, on change services it says Line Rential Monthly Charge'. And that sms's are only 5c (i assume there still at 7c)

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:49 pm

imaximax1 wrote:

A) What do u mean an 'insane concept'?? your insane! line rental is (/was) heaps. Although now that i've actually checked out the other ISP's new plans i can see why it may not be worth it.

B) why would a student want to pay $20 extra a month (half our annual salary) for a phone that then ALLOWS our mothers to call us. I used to be shocked when my friends didnt opt for 'Naked' (they only usually didnt because of the hassle/horrible telstra fees).

"Does any user really care" YES! why would i have asked the question if i didnt care??? if not just for my curiosity.

1) So to confirm, are the new plans (OCV200) on a crippled line? Will my line be re-activated as such (if i do plan do leave exetel later on, will i need to activate my line)
Can u see the confusion? if i go to the exetel website, The "ADSL2+Telephone" plans are different to the "Naked ADSL2" plans (that include a telephone, and may not be a crippled line)

2)Oh and when changing plans, do i just wait [however long it is], then plug my phone in?? will i have any internet down time? or will i just have a phone on the start of Feb

3) And if we're putting up corrections, on change services it says Line Rential Monthly Charge'. And that sms's are only 5c (i assume there still at 7c)
A) It's insane because you have to have the PSTN line to get ADSL.

B) You paid for the line anyway because Telstra charged the same for the line whether it was crippled or not - naked users were just provided with a marketing illusion.

1) OCV plans have a fully working PSTN line (on which you can make free local, national and calls to Optus mobiles....I am sure it says that on the web site.

2) There is no downtime when 'uncrippling' your crippled line.

3) Thank you - I'll ask for the errors to be fixed.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:07 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:

T.
With a six dollar price difference it doesn't seem sensible.
For people on a pension, every dollar counts! 6 of them... well that's a meal or two!