OCV200 Bundled ADSL with telephone service

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
LarryK

Re: OCV200 Bundled ADSL with telephone service

Post by LarryK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:25 pm

tim777 wrote:What does this mean??
If you are 3800 metres from the exchange (and the DSL distance threshold depending on the quality of the copper) is 4000-4200 give and take a bit, I doubt you'd get ADSL2+ anyway

If you did, it'll be on par with ADSL1 1536/256 and may even be a little bit worse, give and take.

However, seeing the Service Qualification tool said 80 probably means it's simply not servicable, and your best bet is to stay as you are.

tim777

Post by tim777 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:49 pm

LarryK wrote:
tim777 wrote:What does this mean??
However, seeing the Service Qualification tool said 80 probably means it's simply not servicable, and your best bet is to stay as you are.
Thanks Larry, just deciding to either stay where I am or move on to the A30 plan. Stats on my current connection- sales rang me today saying this is an option

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2359 Kbps 719 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 2932 Kbps 752 Kbps
Noise Margin 5.9 dB 11.0 dB
Line Attenuation 60.0 dB 31.4 dB
Output Power 0.0 dBm 12.8 dBm

LarryK

Post by LarryK » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:13 am

tim777 wrote: Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2359 Kbps 719 Kbps
Noise Margin 5.9 dB 11.0 dB
Line Attenuation 60.0 dB 31.4 dB
You're already on ADSL2 right now. So about 2.5 mbps or so is the best you'll get.

ie: we did do service qualifications for a lot of customers and without charge to them, we upgraded them to ADSL2.

Perhaps try a different filter, a DSL2 filter for about $5-10 from Dick Smith, and it may improve a bit.

Noise Margin (AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio)

Relative strength of the DSL signal to Noise ratio. The higher the number the better for this measurement. In some instances interleaving can help raise the noise margin to an acceptable level.

6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
11dB-20dB is good with little or no synch problems* (but see note below)
20dB-28dB is excellent
29dB or above is outstanding

* Note that there may be short term bursts of noise that may drop the margin, but due to the sampling time of the management utility in your modem, will not show up in the figures.

Line Attenuation

Measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and the modem. This is largely a function of the distance from the exchange. The lower the dB the better for this measurement.

20dB and below is outstanding
20dB-30dB is excellent
30dB-40dB is very good
40dB-50dB is good
50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues
60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

freyja

Post by freyja » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:32 pm

May seem a silly question - Can anyone please give me an idea of what exactly will happen tomorrow when the new OCV200 plans are due to become active please?

We went naked before there was the ability to port our number so we will be getting a brand new number but am unsure as to how we are to be advised of this. I am also unsure as to when our service may become active - i.e will optus just automatically switch us over at midnight or will it happen some time during the day? Thanks :)

bairdn

Post by bairdn » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:36 pm

freyja wrote:May seem a silly question - Can anyone please give me an idea of what exactly will happen tomorrow when the new OCV200 plans are due to become active please?

We went naked before there was the ability to port our number so we will be getting a brand new number but am unsure as to how we are to be advised of this. I am also unsure as to when our service may become active - i.e will optus just automatically switch us over at midnight or will it happen some time during the day? Thanks :)
+1

BenHolmes

Post by BenHolmes » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:05 pm

freyja wrote:May seem a silly question - Can anyone please give me an idea of what exactly will happen tomorrow when the new OCV200 plans are due to become active please?

I'd also be interested in getting some confirmation of this stuff as well.

I also went 'naked' before you could port your PSTN number to VOIP and got an email this afternoon to say that my old PSTN number has been allocated to someone else (who coincidentally is apparently trying to applyfor an Exetel service) and I have a new number, which isn't a problem as I was expecting this to be the case. However the new number it's given to me is 02 0008 XXXX (can login to my user facilities with it) which doesn't look like it'd be correct - I'm in Newcastle so assumed I'd be getting a 02 40, 41 or 49 prefixed number.

The other issue I have is that the email regarding this change wasn't addressed to me, but rather to a name I've never heard of - perhaps there's been some mixup and it's the name of the person who has my old number and has applied for an Exetel service?

Need2No

Post by Need2No » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:36 pm

May be a mistake, however, I received my new number on 27-01-2011. Just checked my line and I now have the standard dial tone on the line. I can dial out but can't receive a call yet (Optus regrets that this number is disconnected).

Regards

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:42 pm

BenHolmes wrote:I also went 'naked' before you could port your PSTN number to VOIP and got an email this afternoon to say that my old PSTN number has been allocated to someone else (who coincidentally is apparently trying to applyfor an Exetel service) and I have a new number, which isn't a problem as I was expecting this to be the case. However the new number it's given to me is 02 0008 XXXX (can login to my user facilities with it) which doesn't look like it'd be correct - I'm in Newcastle so assumed I'd be getting a 02 40, 41 or 49 prefixed number.

The other issue I have is that the email regarding this change wasn't addressed to me, but rather to a name I've never heard of - perhaps there's been some mixup and it's the name of the person who has my old number and has applied for an Exetel service?
I suggest you contact Residential Support ASAP re these issues so they can get sorted out sooner rather than later.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

BenHolmes

Post by BenHolmes » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:45 pm

Gidget wrote: I suggest you contact Residential Support ASAP re these issues so they can get sorted out sooner rather than later.

Gidget
Yep, had one that but figured with it being eom and the changeover deadline they would possibly be getting a bit of a jump in enquiries, so thought i'd post here as well.

All sorted now, got a call from Exetel support - the 0200xxxxxx number wasn't actually my pstn number after all, it was a new account number (for user facilities/modem etc) as they needed my 'old' number to use for the new owner who was applying to Exetel with it. My new pstn won't be activated for a couple more days.

freyja

Post by freyja » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:36 pm

Well I just received an email and the new number was in the subject line - I am still a little confused though.. a portion of the email reads
Your application still may not proceed if the current account number that appears on your telephone line rental bill is incorrect.

Your planned cut over date is: 2011-01-31

Your Long Distance and local calls will remain with your current provider until your ADSL and telephone line service is transferred from the Telstra exchange to our supplier's exchange. On the day that your service is cut over, you should experience no more than a few hours of downtime. However, callers who call your number for between 2 and 48 hours after the cut over will receive a message saying that your number is unavailable 'for maintenance'.
Anyone like to clarify this for me please? I was not expecting any downtime as I was under the impression there would be no changing of ports etc - just a switch back to using the pstn. I do not get a telephone line rental bill either as we were naked with exetel up until a few moments ago.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:56 pm

freyja wrote:Well I just received an email and the new number was in the subject line - I am still a little confused though.. a portion of the email reads
Your application still may not proceed if the current account number that appears on your telephone line rental bill is incorrect.

Your planned cut over date is: 2011-01-31

Your Long Distance and local calls will remain with your current provider until your ADSL and telephone line service is transferred from the Telstra exchange to our supplier's exchange. On the day that your service is cut over, you should experience no more than a few hours of downtime. However, callers who call your number for between 2 and 48 hours after the cut over will receive a message saying that your number is unavailable 'for maintenance'.
Anyone like to clarify this for me please? I was not expecting any downtime as I was under the impression there would be no changing of ports etc - just a switch back to using the pstn. I do not get a telephone line rental bill either as we were naked with exetel up until a few moments ago.

I suspect it's just a case of an old email template being used - I got that email when I switched to an Optus ADSL2 (including phone line) plan about 3-1/5 years ago, and I didn't have any appreciable downtime either :D

To put your mind at ease. though, you could shoot an email back to Residential Support and ask the question.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Need2No

Post by Need2No » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:12 pm

freyja wrote:

I got the same e-mail. When I got home this afternoon, I could now make outgoing PSTN calls OK and there was no disruption to my internet service. At this point in time, I can't receive calls on my new PSTN number however, I expect that to change tomorrow.

Regards

freyja

Post by freyja » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks Gidget - I decided to wait before contacting support as I was not too fussed, just curious and I haved got up this morning to find I can receive calls as well as make them and my usage meter has changed in member utilities. The change status still says pending but I am sure that will sort itself out soon enough :D

Gavelar

Post by Gavelar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Can't say I am overly happy with the time to get my OCV200 plan transferred from a BYO plan. Applied on January 21 and indicated a Jan 31 effective date. Exetel sent a cancellation request to Telstra on Jan 24 and internet was gone by pm on the 25th. Assumed that the 8-10 day service break started then. Kept checking my status and yesterday (Feb 3) I got the email to say my service had been cancelled and that they were now applying to Optus to get my line transferred and it seems that the 8-10 days starts now??? What gives. I now have a scheduled connection date of Feb 16??? I calculate this as 22 days and still significantly more than than the quoted 8-10 business days.

I would have applied for the HSPA (not that it was an option on my application form) if I new it was going to be this long.

To rub salt into the wound they SMS'd and called me to chase down a 7c bill from last month. There was a need to change account ownership to match phone account ownership resulting in an account discontinuity. This was after email advice that the SMS was an error and there were no outstanding account charges.

I know it is probably a busy time for them with all the plan changes but this is my first real contact with support (everything had previously just worked). Can't say I am overly impressed.

Any advice how I could get my internet back sooner than they say it will be back would be appreciated. My family are going to kill me soon if they don't get their interweb back.
:cry:
Gavelar

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:45 pm

Gavelar wrote:Any advice how I could get my internet back sooner than they say it will be back would be appreciated. My family are going to kill me soon if they don't get their interweb back.
There is nothing that can be done.

As you were aware, AAPT to Optus transfers require *complete* removal of ADSL2+ codes and reinstatement of new ones. Therefore, they suffer from the same delays in provisioning that a new connection does (plus a little extra is waiting for the ADSL2+ codes to be initially cleared). Not sure where your 8-10 business day estimate you quote comes from, the standard time frame I'm familiar with seeing is 10-14 business days for provisioning of a new service. By my count, the Feb 16 scheduled connection date would be 15 or 16 business days, not 22, and after you add a couple of days for the original code removal and confirmation, it seems to be within the indicated timeframe that I'm familiar with.

What you should do is keep testing your modem on the line to see if you get a line sync. This line sync might appear before the scheduled date, and sometimes it takes up to another day to get email confirmation. So just keep polling your line to see when it becomes enabled.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au