Billing Date Change

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Billing Date Change

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Since March 1st 2004 Exetel has done one billing run per month - on the first working day of each month.

For the past seven years this has been an efficient and effective, and convenient, way of billing our customers.

Over the years we have continually refined our software and constantly upgraded our hardware platforms to cope with the month on month increase in customer numbers and additional services.

While we haven't yet reached the point where a single billing run will take too long or become too complex there is little doubt, assuming Exetel continues to grow, that we will reach that point sooner rather than later.

Over the next few days we will consider having two bill runs per month - one remaining on the first working day of each month and one on the 15th of each month....or perhaps 4 bill runs on the first four Mondays or Fridays of each month.

Any comments would be appreciated....customer selection of billing date would be hard to do.

bodogbodog

Re: Billing Date Change

Post by bodogbodog » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:36 pm

Happy to be billed anytime of the month so sign me up for the test
Let's just make sure the billing is done correctly (I had a problem with being billed for charges I should not have been billed for this month - a relatively rare occurence over my 6+ years with Exetel but always a nasty surprise)
I assume that such a change would need to be accompanied by monthy entitlements moving to coincide with the new billing period per customer
Last edited by bodogbodog on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:52 pm

I dont mind when my billing date is. Most services ie mobile, phone, foxtel etc have billing dates all throughout the month so I wouldnt think too many people would be worried by what date of the month you are billed.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Will Optus/Telstra (whoever) do (re)connection changeovers on any billing date, or is the first of the month an industry-wide standard?

I ask as I can foresee "issues" with a change of plan being billed pro-rata if it's not a first-of-month account.

In agreement with others, billing date is irrelevant (I can't pick/choose Visa, Amex, Diners Club, Optus mobile billing dates either).

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:41 pm

I am happy whenever the billing is done.

Previous two ISPs were billed anniversary date and the 15th, respectively.

Me = flexible
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

tulett

Post by tulett » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Yuri wrote: In agreement with others, billing date is irrelevant (I can't pick/choose Visa, Amex, Diners Club, Optus mobile billing dates either).
To my great surprise, you actually can now.

I applied for an Amex Platinum Edge card in December, and it let me choose my statement date (within a 3 day range). I got what I asked for.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:28 am

bodogbodog wrote:Happy to be billed anytime of the month so sign me up for the test
Let's just make sure the billing is done correctly (I had a problem with being billed for charges I should not have been billed for this month - a relatively rare occurence over my 6+ years with Exetel but always a nasty surprise)
I assume that such a change would need to be accompanied by monthy entitlements moving to coincide with the new billing period per customer
Please send details to:

brendonc@exetel.com.au

samarium

Post by samarium » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm

bodogbodog wrote:I assume that such a change would need to be accompanied by monthy entitlements moving to coincide with the new billing period per customer
Such a change would need to allow headroom for the customer because otherwise they could be stung where pro-rata doesn't match an asymmetric usage profile. Probably the easiest would to allow the customer moved the full monthly allowance for the short month on which they are moved.

This would obviously also need to flow over to other attached services such as mobile etc.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:39 pm

samarium wrote:
bodogbodog wrote:I assume that such a change would need to be accompanied by monthy entitlements moving to coincide with the new billing period per customer
Such a change would need to allow headroom for the customer because otherwise they could be stung where pro-rata doesn't match an asymmetric usage profile. Probably the easiest would to allow the customer moved the full monthly allowance for the short month on which they are moved.

This would obviously also need to flow over to other attached services such as mobile etc.
The way we are thinking of implementing it is to bill a group of customers for 90.3% of a full month on 1st March 2011 for the period March 1st to March 28th and then billing them again on March 28th 2011 for a full month for the period March 29th to April 27th. From then on billing each 28th of each month for the next calendar month period.

slave1

Post by slave1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:06 pm

No hassles here. Flexible also.

vbap

Post by vbap » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Just wondering whether you actually need to change anyone's "usage period" to match the billing run date?

My other mobile providers (past and current) wouldn't issue a bill until a few days after the usage period ended, and then payment wasn't actually collected until up to 2 weeks afterwards. I've always found it a little surprising that Exetel issues bills and collects payments smack on midnight of the last day of the usage period (it's very efficient, and I'm not complaining about it!),

But you could split your billing run over the course of the first week on the month and still keep the usage period for everyone as the previous calendar month...

samarium

Post by samarium » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:49 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: The way we are thinking of implementing it is to bill a group of customers for 90.3% of a full month on 1st March 2011 for the period March 1st to March 28th and then billing them again on March 28th 2011 for a full month for the period March 29th to April 27th. From then on billing each 28th of each month for the next calendar month period.
Sounds OK, and 90% should deal with the majority of asymmetry issues. Of course you will still get the whingers, and those who don't read the notifications, complaining.

Since I like the 1-of-Month billing period, I'll take my chances with the lottery.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:03 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Over the next few days we will consider having two bill runs per month - one remaining on the first working day of each month and one on the 15th of each month....or perhaps 4 bill runs on the first four Mondays or Fridays of each month.
have been thinking about this, lots of positives I guess to splitting the billing up, cash flow seems obvious, I take it if you were to split the billing periods then that would then mean that plan changes may not be possible/practical to happen on the first of each month like they do now otherwise you'd have to be dealing with prorata charges etc and will have to be done by billing date so the side benefit I see to having multiple billing periods is that as opposed to the current situation where everything happens on the first of the month meaning anything that can go wrong, payment defaults, system issues related to new plans etc will be spread over two or four periods each month so the staff members that have to deal with those issues currently each month would have their workload spread more evenly throughout the month

say if for example new plans were offered and there was some coding error that was mucking up call records or billing info or whatever (nice to think they wouldn't happen but the best laid plans don't always work out) and there was four billing periods each month only 25% of the customers that wanted to change to the new plans would be able to, a much smaller amount of support calls for work orders that hadn't been completed, if there was any coding error etc a much smaller group of customers affected, quite possible a coding error or similar could be fixed before the next billing run so the other 75% of customers don't get impacted at all

I've often noticed at the beginning of each month a spike in forum activity due to some billing queries, pending plan changes or whatever and many a time I've seen customers asked to just be patient as the beginning of the month is a very busy period for anything accounts related so it does seem that the people that have to deal with any issues do have a greater workload after the billing run, I think splitting the billing up could be good for end users due to support staff not having large backlogs to deal with so quicker resolutions, if that was the case it would have to be better for the staff as well I would think

I wasn't so sure about it at first but the more I look at it the more benefits I think there are for all involved

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:41 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Please send details to: brendonc@exetel.com.au
Email sent - sorry for the delay, I missed your post - too many things going on at the moment :)
Looking forward to helping out by being part of a trial - it seems current thinking will see me moved to being billed on the 28th of the month - that's not an inconvenience at all

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:28 am

An email will be sent to the affected customers today.

The customers that will have their billing date moved will be those with a single service.

Single service includes Optus ADSL2 with telephone line.

Customers with multiple single services on a master account will not be moved.