APN for Exetel mobile services using the Optus network

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

APN for Exetel mobile services using the Optus network

Post by ExetelVoice » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Exetel would like to clarify a matter concerning mobile data usage which is causing confusion among some customers.
For all customers using the Exetel mobile service via the Optus network on capped plans or per minute plans, only the following APN's are valid for the data inclusions.

INTERNET
OPTUSWAP
YesINTERNET (for iPhones)

If any other APN is used a different and higher data usage rate is incurred, resulting in excessive and expensive data charges being billed.
These data charges will be payable over and above any monthly CAP amount. Ie the data will not be included in the Data Inclusion component of the CAP.

This post does not concern Exetel HSPA customers.

bodogbodog

Re: APN for Exetel mobile services using the Optus network

Post by bodogbodog » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:Exetel would like to clarify a matter concerning mobile data usage which is causing confusion among some customers
It has to be recognised that some of the customers that are/were "confused" were so because they were incorrectly advised to use other APN's by Exetel staff.
I appreciate that mistakes happen with new services being introduced but it should be acknowledged that some of us weren't actually confused...

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:03 am

Understood. Unfortunately the APN possibilities/parameters were never clearly defined to Exetel by Optus - at the outset.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:35 am

ExetelVoice wrote:Understood. Unfortunately the APN possibilities/parameters were never clearly defined to Exetel by Optus - at the outset.
That's good then - Exetel can beat up Optus and get relief from these charges that have been made on customers who relied on the advice they recieved
Sounds like Optus have some explaning (and crediting) to do

The weird thing is in my case I was using the "wrong" APN in December (from the start of my CAP19 service) and I did not get charged for any data for December - yet I did in January - so something screwy is happening in the Optus systems that pass on charges to Exetel for data usage based on the APN being used

samarium

Post by samarium » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 am

If my phone number is only supposed to use "internet" then Optus, or Exetel depending where the connection is being authorised, should not allow it to use "exetel1". It is that simple. Also makes things much easier to troubleshoot, albeit maybe more frustrating when nothing works.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:37 am

If my phone number is only supposed to use "internet" then Optus, or Exetel depending where the connection is being authorised, should not allow it to use "exetel1".
We have asked Optus if something can be done about this but it won't change the fact that the APN is actually customizable (it is not a locked setting) and some phones browse for connectable APN's (CONNECT for instance).

samarium

Post by samarium » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:48 am

Since you are responding to this thread, can you have a look at ticket 3631713 and various emails to the helpdesk last night and what looks like a botched WM-A/CAP35 plan swap. "internet" doesn't work, "exetel1" does, and then there is the Global Roaming issue what I'd like an answer on.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:12 pm

Since you are responding to this thread, can you have a look at ticket 3631713 and various emails to the helpdesk last night and what looks like a botched WM-A/CAP35 plan swap. "internet" doesn't work, "exetel1" does, and then there is the Global Roaming issue what I'd like an answer on.
I have directly instructed support to look at the APN issue for you.
Not sure what the global roaming 'issue' is but we will be enabling this function again soon for voice roaming, not data roaming.

Munka

Post by Munka » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:36 pm

So seeing as how I am on a per minute WM - C plan, what APN should I use? I have been using exetel1.
Sorry first I have heard of this.
Munka

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:41 pm

So seeing as how I am on a per minute WM - C plan, what APN should I use? I have been using exetel1.
WM-C is an HSPA plan. The APN remains as EXETEL1

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Munka wrote:So seeing as how I am on a per minute WM - C plan, what APN should I use? I have been using exetel1.
Sorry first I have heard of this.
ExetelVoice wrote:This post does not concern Exetel HSPA customers.
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Munka

Post by Munka » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:25 pm

OK I forgot that even though the sim is sitting in a mobile phone, that service is classified as a HSPA service.
Sorry my bad and thank you both for your replies :o
Munka

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:31 pm

OK I forgot that even though the sim is sitting in a mobile phone, that service is classified as a HSPA service.
Whilst it can be used in a mobile handset, your HSPA service SIM is better utilized in a USB stick - since it is a data-focussed service.

samarium

Post by samarium » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:44 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:
I have directly instructed support to look at the APN issue for you.
Not sure what the global roaming 'issue' is but we will be enabling this function again soon for voice roaming, not data roaming.
Thanks, Pav contacted me.

I don't blame you for restricting data roaming, it seems like telcos regard this as a major profit center.

Does voice roaming include SMS roaming? All I really want it to be able to receive SMS from at least my bank.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Does voice roaming include SMS roaming?
Yes it does (whilst an SMS is technically data transmission, for all intents and purposes it is included as voice these days.)
You will be able to send and receive SMS.