APN for Exetel mobile services using the Optus network

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
samarium

Re: APN for Exetel mobile services using the Optus network

Post by samarium » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:01 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:
Does voice roaming include SMS roaming?
Yes it does (whilst an SMS is technically data transmission, for all intents and purposes it is included as voice these days.)
You will be able to send and receive SMS.
So on this regard we are just waiting for Members Faciilities to allow Roaming Setup, rather than hassling the helpdesk personally.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:06 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:Whilst it can be used in a mobile handset, your HSPA service SIM is better utilized in a USB stick - since it is a data-focussed service.
Gee that's news - I think Exetel were and possibly still do promote the HSPA services as suitable for Voice services as well as data
Worked fine for me in a mobile phone handset for a year until I moved to the CAP19 plan in December. I used MOIP with mixed results on the HSPA service and it was fine for voice. It's really more a question of what the most cost effective rates are that meet your usage patterns of voice and data

aldog1

Post by aldog1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 am

I'm struggling a bit here...

I have an iPhone 3GS and have signed up on the CAP-SPECIAL 2 plan just over a month ago (ADSL2, phone and mobile).
My iPhone is unlocked.
Have emailed Exetel asking what my APN settings are (since they should be YesINTERNET) and none of the staff can tell me if this is the case or not! They just keep telling me to go into Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network which you can NOT do! The carrier profile has the option to hide it. Optus has included hiding in their profile.
Then it mentions about not applying to HSPA customers, but mine's meant to be a CAP35 plan on there, but when I log into my user account it says HSPA?
Touch wood I'm worrying over nothing and everything's OK!
Gosh, I don't know...... :(

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:35 am

aldog1 wrote:Have emailed Exetel asking what my APN settings are (since they should be YesINTERNET) and none of the staff can tell me if this is the case or not!
It's definitely "YesINTERNET" as per the first post in the thread - if you're using that and it's correctly configured and not working then you need to log a support call with Exetel to get it into the system

CAPx plans are not HSPA plans

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:02 pm

To change your APN on an iPhone device, open Safari, browse to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ and follow the prompts to generate a new APN profile.

In the APN, use one of the network names described in the OP and then download and apply to your iPhone.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

aldog1

Post by aldog1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Thanks guys - I did already know about the unlock site (Apple also have some software which you can add another profile also).
I just thought it'd be easier to contact Exetel for confirmation that I'm using YesINTERNET instead of having to install anything on my phone? Surely they could tell me? You think that since it's a near new sim that it would be already configured appropriately?
I do have the internet working, just unsure of the APN as I can't view it.

Cheers :)

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:04 pm

aldog1 wrote:Thanks guys - I did already know about the unlock site (Apple also have some software which you can add another profile also).
I just thought it'd be easier to contact Exetel for confirmation that I'm using YesINTERNET instead of having to install anything on my phone? Surely they could tell me? You think that since it's a near new sim that it would be already configured appropriately?
I do have the internet working, just unsure of the APN as I can't view it.

Cheers :)
I've got an iPhone on the CAP plan and have set my APN to YesINTERNET :)
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:27 am

If my phone number is only supposed to use "internet" then Optus, or Exetel depending where the connection is being authorised, should not allow it to use "exetel1"
....Getting back to this post on page 1 of this thread. The posts on page 2 of the thread prove how easy it is to change APN's???

hchau

Post by hchau » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:59 am

This is what I've been told and I'm still waiting on someone to contact me. I switched to a CAP35 and nothing works except exetel1. I switched specifically because tethering was supposed to be working on these plans. Now that seems to have been removed as well.

ExetelVoice wrote:
Since you are responding to this thread, can you have a look at ticket 3631713 and various emails to the helpdesk last night and what looks like a botched WM-A/CAP35 plan swap. "internet" doesn't work, "exetel1" does, and then there is the Global Roaming issue what I'd like an answer on.
I have directly instructed support to look at the APN issue for you.
Not sure what the global roaming 'issue' is but we will be enabling this function again soon for voice roaming, not data roaming.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:42 am

Since you are responding to this thread, can you have a look at ticket 3631713 and various emails to the helpdesk last night............
Hi hchau,

I'm looking at your case now.

Regards,
Theje :wink:

samarium

Post by samarium » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:38 pm

hchau you should quote your support case id#, as it won't do you any good if they investigate mine again

hchau

Post by hchau » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:27 pm

good point samarium. my ticket number is 3631920. just out of interest, did you ask me o quote the support number because they called you about this?
samarium wrote:hchau you should quote your support case id#, as it won't do you any good if they investigate mine again

samarium

Post by samarium » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:30 pm

hchau wrote:good point samarium. my ticket number is 3631920. just out of interest, did you ask me o quote the support number because they called you about this?
samarium wrote:hchau you should quote your support case id#, as it won't do you any good if they investigate mine again
No, they didn't call me, but it is better if they have your ticket for two reasons:

1. They have an opportunity to solve your issue.
2. They don't then have the opportunity to break my setup because they are investigating yours and think my service is the one with the issue.

hchau

Post by hchau » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:14 am

Hi Theje,

Any progress on this yet? Please note my ticket number is 3631920.

Thanks,
Hung.
thejeg wrote:
Since you are responding to this thread, can you have a look at ticket 3631713 and various emails to the helpdesk last night............
Hi hchau,

I'm looking at your case now.

Regards,
Theje :wink:

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:33 pm

I've had enough of this, first [foul language edited out] won't get off thier [foul language edited out] and fix coverage arond my home in BADGER CREEK, ticket 3634087. Now they are [foul language edited out] with excess usage fees, ticket 3737538.

I was NOT informed when changing to CAP35 that I would have to change my APN. I was blocked just afer midnight and had to pay $50 to get back online. Then I was [edited out] blocked again not long after I woke up and Exetel wanted another $50.

I rang customer support and was told I would have to wait 2 hours for billing to start work to resolve the issue. The Sri Lankian [despicably obscene language edited out] LIED to me stating that I had recieved an email explaining the APN change. After half an hour of arguing with him I demanded to be put through to Sydney to talk to someone who could actually resolve this and eventually he agreed.

I was then told by someone in Sydney that I would get a call back and that I may need a new SIM to correct the APN issue as I have tried the [foul language edited out] APN's and they do NOT work. I didn't get a call back and finally after 4 hours I have been reconnected.

This is trully a pathetic situation. I had NO idea that I would have to change APN and if I had of known I would NOT have changeed plans as [foul language edited out] APN's are way over subscribed and will result in a [foul language edited out] service that I do NOT want.

In the interim I would like to be moved back to my previous HSPA service and then have this COVERAGE issue resolved.

[foul language edited out]!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM