Help understanding Addition of Exetel Telephone Service emai

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
smsusr

Help understanding Addition of Exetel Telephone Service emai

Post by smsusr » Mon May 30, 2011 3:31 pm

HI all,

First off tried to post this under Products & Services but could not see a New Topic thread there so have opted to post it here.

Recently on 20th of May received the email titled "Addition of Exetel Telephone Service for 0XXXXXXXXX and Special ADSL Offers" in it it states

Transfer to an Exetel Optus ADSL2+ service and Save
With a zero transfer cost we can offer you an Exetel Optus ADSL2+ service INCLUDING your telephone line rental and 40GB of data from only $40/month.
PLUS you get to keep your telephone number, and experience zero downtime during the transfer.

I have the following questions on it that I was hoping someone could help answer

1) Now the email says "zero transfer cost" but when I go to Change Services in Member Facilities it says
I agree to pay $100.00 IF the ADSL2 service is being cancelled within the initial contract period.

I'm unsure as to whether this is
i) just referring to the fact that if I sign up for this plan I'm now under a new 12 month contract that if I break will incur $100 fees (which is fine) OR
ii) it is saying if my existing ADSL2 service is still under contract and I'm now starting a new contract that I have to pay this $100 fee now in order to start this new plan

As in February I had to change plans when my out of contract plan had a price increase so my contract details are now as follows
Initial Contract End Date: 2009-03-29
Renew Contract Date: 2011-02-01
Renew Contract Period: 12 Months
Renew Contract End Date: 2012-02-01

Can someone please help clarify if I have to pay any additional costs except for the new monthly line phone line rental ($30) and the OF-200 ADSL plan ($19.50) in order to change to this plan.

2) The email also states "experience zero downtime during the transfer".
However when I go to Change Services in Member Facilities it states

Your existing ADSL2 service will be ceased generally within 5 working days. Your telephone service with your current provider will remain active until the cut-over date for your ADSL2 and Telephone bundle which is generally around 14 days after cancellation of your existing ADSL2 service has been confirmed.

This makes it sounds like my ADSL2 service is going to be cancelled and not sure when it gets reactivated (on the new phone cut-over date?) but it does sound like there is downtime?

I also read in another forum Pyotr wrote
"My own experience when I switched earlier this year: changeover from Exetel/AAPT to Exetel/Optus took about 4 weeks, no ADSL2 in this time although the Telstra line still worked in most of this waiting period;".

Can someone please clarify to me the downtime involved.

Many thanks

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Help understanding Addition of Exetel Telephone Service

Post by Dazzled » Mon May 30, 2011 3:50 pm

It depends on your present phone wholesaler (Telstra?) and the ADSL wholesaler (not Optus). ADSL1 transfers to ADSL2 have negligible downtime. Moving from one ADSL2 provider to another can take a while, as there is no churn system between providers. Could you please post these?

smsusr

Post by smsusr » Mon May 30, 2011 3:53 pm

re: 2)
ADSL2 is with Exetel, present phone wholesaler is Telstra.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon May 30, 2011 4:08 pm

Telstra ADSL2 or Powertel/AAPT ADSL2? If you don't know, the plan code will be sufficient.

As an example I organised an Exetel-Powertel ADSL2 on a Telstra phone service to a bundled Exetel-Optus transfer earlier this year, which had 3 weeks without internet (the phone wasn't affected), as only after Powertel had been disconnected from the Telstra line could the transfer to Optus process begin. This would be about the worst downtime scenario for the various transfers. As mentioned above, at the other extreme, ADSL1 on a Telstra line transfer to an Optus-based bundle will be down only minutes.

smsusr

Post by smsusr » Mon May 30, 2011 4:24 pm

Current Plan Type: A-PAYU (before the change in Feb it was F/21BYOLINE)

I want to move to OF-20...

Thanks

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon May 30, 2011 4:48 pm

That's an AAPT/Powertel ADSL2 on a Telstra line, the same scenario I mentioned as the worst downtime case.

Expect that: first, your Exetel ADSL2 will go, so that Telstra has an unencumbered line; only then second, may Optus obtain a transfer of the line via the Telstra system. While this goes on you still have a Telstra phone. Finally the phone goes down for a short while while it is moved in the exchange to Optus equipment. Shortly after that you have internet back. Unless something has improved only recently it can take 3 weeks. The "paperwork" for the process is handled by Exetel.

smsusr

Post by smsusr » Mon May 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks for that detailed reply.

Are you absolutely sure that's correct as I'm curious as to why exetel would write in the email zero downtime during transfer?
and also
in an online chat with Optus rep about just transferring my phone line from Telstra to Optus.

me: If I have ADSL on the Telstra line, how is this effect if we port the number over?
OptusRep: You'll be able to port over your existing number, and transfer only the telephone service to Optus.
me: So will there be downtime in my ADSL when I transfer the telephone service to Optus?
OptusRep: Yes, there will be some service interruption during the transition.
me: Hours or days?
OptusRep: It's in terms of hours.

...?

And does anyone know about my question 1) the billing side of things and the plan change? I have tried emailing sales but am still waiting a reply.

Thanks

smsusr

Post by smsusr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:09 am

Who can I email at exetel to get exact answers on the downtime involved in this change?

Cos I know Dazzled has provided some answers but I'm still unsure if they are definitive given my last post and things like this in the offer email on May 20th

> The following plans offer higher download allowances; cheaper excess usage fees; zero transfer costs; options of bundled telephone lines and included calls, and all with zero downtime on your service.
>
> Transfer to an Exetel Optus ADSL2+ service and Save
>
> With a zero transfer cost we can offer you an Exetel Optus ADSL2+ service INCLUDING your telephone line rental and 40GB of data from only $40/month.
>
> PLUS you get to keep your telephone number, and experience zero downtime during the transfer.
>

> By applying for one of the above Optus ADSL2+ plans you will be transferring away from the AAPT infrastructure and onto the Optus infrastructure. It is also mandatory you transfer your telephone line.
>
> However, you will experience no downtime at all.

Which is 3 mentions of zero downtime... are these all just mistakes?
It'd be great if someone could get me some answers so I can make an informed decision. Thanks

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:21 am

I recounted a Powertel transfer I organised only 3 months ago, and the need to unencumber the line ("remove codes") before starting the ULL transfer was the nub of the problem. There was no meaningful downtime for the phone.

I suggest you email residentialsales@exetel.com.au and mention your existing plan as well as the one you would take up, and get a current time estimate for internet.

remosha
Exetel Staff

Post by remosha » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:53 am

1) Now the email says "zero transfer cost" but when I go to Change Services in Member Facilities it says I agree to pay $100.00 IF the ADSL2 service is being cancelled within the initial contract period.

- If you have received an email from Exetel, stating that there will be no charge for you to change and if your Exetel Members Facilities indicates that there is No "Plan Change" fee to transfer your service to a plan offered via the Optus Network, the Early Cancellation fee of $100 will not apply. However, it would be best if you can contact us on 0280301000 or email residentialsales@exetel.com.au ,so that we can look into your account and advice you accordingly.

2) The email also states "experience zero downtime during the transfer". However when I go to Change Services in Member Facilities it states Your existing ADSL2 service will be ceased generally within 5 working days. Your telephone service with your current provider will remain active until the cut-over date for your ADSL2 and Telephone bundle which is generally around 14 days after cancellation of your existing ADSL2 service has been confirmed. This makes it sounds like my ADSL2 service is going to be cancelled and not sure when it gets reactivated (on the new phone cut-over date?) but it does sound like there is downtime?

- Currently there is no downtime to move from Exetel - AAPT to Exetel- Optus plans, as long as the Optus ADSL2 service could be provided to your residence.