Optus tower locations ?

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
petemoss

Re: Optus tower locations ?

Post by petemoss » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks samarium. I don't have one of those phones.

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 am

Dazzled

I have attempted to follow your instructions to get details from my Huawei B932 modem using AT commands without success.

I was able to login to my modem using Hyperterminal and got to the Busybox msh prompt.

It did not support dmesg or tr commands and the echo command did not support the -e option.

I also have a Netcomm 3G8WV modem which has Busybox with the ash shell.

It supported dmesg and echo, but did not support the tr command. Also, after the first redirected echo statement, it did not return to the # prompt.

Is it possible to get signal strength and tower info from these platforms?

All the best

Mark

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Mark, petemoss runs a Linux computer, and the commands given above were for use under the bash shell that his computer executes.

(tr translated modem input newlines; echo -e dealt with backslash escapes in the AT command format used; dmesg read the kernel ring buffer to give us the boot info so we knew the Linux file name assigned to the modem. Linux treats all these things as files).

You appear to be running Windows where you don't have the benefit of an extensive shell. Modems have very little storage or memory and replace bash and its kind with the stripped down Busybox. Once you get into Busybox though, you are looking at a very restricted shell indeed; the help page is at http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html. They won't all be installed. The catenate command cat is the most commonly successful way to read a file.

I don't have one of those gadgets to play with, but it probably can be got to return that info, if you only can find it. You may have to discover the file name of the internal modem, or better, some executables designed to configure it. The Huawei company won't usually help you explore. Being a combined device I doubt it expects to be interrogated often by an attached computer. The other Huawei units we see are simple dongle modems, and sending an AT modem command to them generates the appropriate response. The software signal strength bar indicators in Windows/Linux/Mac are based on this feature.

Re the Netcomm, again I haven't one, but when you first log in under telnet, you may find typing ? will give a list of configure apps.