Minnamurra NBN Trial

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
Cupitts

Minnamurra NBN Trial

Post by Cupitts » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Recently I had the NBN come to my residence and install Fibre to the Home. There seemed to be some minor initial problems as the internet service over fibre would not activate. But after ringing Exetel the problem was solved in a couple of days.

The first thing I did upon having the internet connected with fibre was a speed test. I have attached the results.
Attachments
Fibre.jpg
Fibre.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 5874 times

ForumAdmin

Re: Minnamurra NBN Trial

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:20 pm

Apart from download tests are any parts of your day to day internet usage noticeably faster?

Cupitts

Post by Cupitts » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Everything basically. Obviously some basic text sites there is no noticeable difference as there is not much to load. However, for example, on Facebook, or any other 'scroll and load' pages, there is now no waiting what so ever when scrolling. It loads instantly. Any video websites such as Youtube or TED load extremely fast. I also download videos from both said sites, and they download within seconds for most of them. I downloaded a 1080p, 10min long video from Youtube. File size was 265MB and it downloaded in around 20 seconds.
P2P downloading obviously varies on how many people are sharing the file. But for the most part I will usually manage to get up to around 5 - 7MB/s when downloading. Less than the maximum speed on my fibre line, but still faster than anything else.

johnhennessy

Post by johnhennessy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:00 pm

I have been connected now for 12 days. I also experienced several days of connection problems and some $50 worth of mobile calls to the provisioning/help desks. Some conflicting and confusing directions were given to me but all was eventually sorted out. I am achieving download speeds of between 65 and 100 Mb/s which constantly varies (Speedtest.net). Upload speeds appear to be well short of the nominated plan (100/40) as I am only achieving between 9 and 30Mb/s. P2P speeds max out at a little less than 5MB/s which again is a little disappointing. All in all I am reasonably happy with the speed although at the moment I am still tossing up whether I will be changing from my T8-30 plan due to the throttling of excess downloads.
Attachments
speedtest.png
speedtest.png (31.5 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
John Hennessy
10yr member in September

Surfn Chick

Post by Surfn Chick » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Could an exetel staff member, please check my speed. This is obviously not correct.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1456878601.png

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:15 pm

Could an exetel staff member, please check my speed. This is obviously not correct.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1456878601.png
I will arrange one of our Support Engineer's to investigate your issues :) .

OzTrekker

Post by OzTrekker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:01 pm

I had the NBN installed recently and found it to be a painless process.

Exetel sent me an Email several weeks ago informing me that Technicians would install my connection on Tuesday 23/08/2011 between 8:00am and 11:30am. The guys arrived at 7:50am and asked me where I wanted the connection located. The spot I had chosen was an internal wall. The Techo told me that this was not possible because they ran the cable through the roof cavity and were unable to drill down internal walls. He would much prefer to locate it on an external wall. After looking at several possible locations I decided to stand firm and press for my preferred location. When the Techo discovered that was a simple matter to get under my house, and the Telstra phone line was installed in this manner, he agreed to run the cable down an external wall, under the floor and up into the internal wall.

An hour and a half later the connection was complete and had passed the necessary tests.

I've included a couple of pictures of the hardware, provided free of charge, to complete the installation.

External Connection

Internal Connection

The large box on the left of the internal installation contains a lead acid battery to provide power for VOIP if mains power is lost. The middle box (Network Termination Device "NTD") only has 1 port (UNI-D 1) activated. Note that there are 2 VOIP ports (UNI-V 1, UNI-V 2) on the left of this unit.

Just a heads up folks. A dedicated power point is required for the connection. You cannot use a power board or extension lead.

All I had to purchase was a wireless router (Netcomm N300 Wireless Router - up to 300Mbps).

The hardware was connected mid morning and I contacted Exetel around midday. The consultant put me through to Provisioning because they had not been informed that the connection was completed. Provisioning informed me that the line would be available for use that afternoon.

Around 3:00pm I configured my router using the same account details as my existing ADSL account.

Bingo I was online.

We opted for 50Mbps down and 20Mbps up at $54.00 a month.
Speednet.net test yielded 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up last night.

The speed is tremendous. Sites load virtually instantaneously. Video streaming is seamless.

The only problem I have encountered is getting my kids laptops to connect wirelessly at higher speeds. I haven't quite cracked this one yet but no doubt it will be driver/configuration related.

PS3 multi player online games like "Call Of Duty" are amazing thanks to the speed increase.

So for me this has been a great experience.

All I have to do now is solve my wireless speed issue..........

roby

Post by roby » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:27 pm

sounds great can't wait for it to come to Hawthorn Vitoria

fsm

Post by fsm » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks for pictures OzTracker.
Seeing the empty phone socket motivates me to ask - how come nobodies made a fuss that the NBN installation doesn't make any provision for your internal phone wiring to be able to be hooked up to the NTD at some stage. Given that at some point POTS over copper will be switched off, this appears to be a additional imposition that subscribers will have to bear directly.

BTW, I'd be interested to hear what plans Exetel has for the free TC-1 150Kbps AVC/50Kbps CVC supplied with the TC-4 service. Given the costs of CVC and consequently the high contention ratios that ISPs it makes sense to use this higher quality connection as much as possible without degrading telephone service, if using an external ATA rather than the "free" ATA supplied inside the UNI-V (pity that AVCs can't be shared between the UNI-D and UNI-V)