Info on Issues with Optus Blackberry email server?

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
brianh

Info on Issues with Optus Blackberry email server?

Post by brianh » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi,

I have been advised by Provisioning that there is currently an outage with the connection to the Optus BIS server for Blackberry - I am curently unable to connect to the server to configure the email for my newly provisioned BB55 plan.

I searched around but couldn't find any info in the forum or Network Status areas.

Can anyone provide a "fix" time or keep the forum updated with the status ?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Re: Info on Issues with Optus Blackberry email server?

Post by rukshani » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:35 pm

brianh wrote:Hi,

I have been advised by Provisioning that there is currently an outage with the connection to the Optus BIS server for Blackberry - I am curently unable to connect to the server to configure the email for my newly provisioned BB55 plan.

I searched around but couldn't find any info in the forum or Network Status areas.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
An Exetel representative will advise you on this shortly.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 pm

brianh wrote:Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Hi Brian,

This is correct. We are expecting this outage to be resolved by mid day - tomorrow.

Please send an email directly to achalab@exetel.com.lk if you don't hear anything back by mid day - tomorrow

Regards,
Theje

brianh

Post by brianh » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:07 pm

Still no joy..... I will try again at 2:00pm - if no luck then, I will send the email.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:41 pm

brianh wrote:Still no joy..... I will try again at 2:00pm - if no luck then, I will send the email.

Outage has been restored, your service should be completed any minute from now on :)

brianh

Post by brianh » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Tried again at 3:15 pm after power cycling the phone, still no joy - I had an email sent to the address listed above.

Will try again now (4:30).............. still no access to BIS.

This is extreeeeeeemely frustrating. Please advise ASAP what can be done.

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:48 pm

brianh wrote:Tried again at 3:15 pm after power cycling the phone, still no joy - I had an email sent to the address listed above.

A support engineer is looking to it, he will soon reply to you.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:00 pm

brianh wrote:Tried again at 3:15 pm after power cycling the phone, still no joy - I had an email sent to the address listed above.

Hi,

I will check with the person you emailed and provide you an update through the same thread.

brianh

Post by brianh » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Earlier this evening, I contacted a service representative just prior to reading the updates here. I was advised that because of the Optus outage, the whole connection had had to be re-provisioned... or something along those lines. I was then told I should be able to connect to the BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) in a few hours.

I have just again contacted a support person to be advised - albeit very politely and apologetically - that this issue is with provisioning who are currently not available and therefore there would not be any progress until tomorrow but that it would be given a high priority and someone would be in touch with me.

I advised the representative - without any personal disrespect to him - that this level of service was entirely unacceptable and unprofessional on behalf of Exetel. It is 5 days since I activated this account and quite apart from being unable to access emails or internet on the device, not one support person I have spoken to has a clear idea of how the Blackberry "package" operates - or even the existence of or need for the BIS - and I have had to explain it to almost all the representatives I have spoken to.

In addition I advised the representative that while I acknowledge he was offering to do the best he could, I had been given a number of assurances during previous calls that had consistently failed to materialise.

I also acknowledged that short of involving the TIO, I have no choice but to accept yet again the assurances of forthcoming action. I am at this point an entirely unsatisfied customer who would pay more to go with another provider just to get a better level of service (I'm talking about the material outcome here, not the manner of the representatives - they have been pleasant, just unable to deliver).

Exetel management need to be aware of this issue and take measures to address the serious breakdowns in their system that clearly exist (I am a qualified management systems professional, I am not just making that statement to sound annoyed).

From your front page - "Exetel's constant aim is to provide the fastest fault resolution service in Australia by answering any customer telephone call in less than 60 seconds on average and ensuring that the person answering the telephone is both well trained and degree qualified in engineering for support and provisioning calls ....."

I have had experience with Blackberry services provided by Telstra, Optus and Vodafone - even Vodafone managed a faster fault resolution response than I have experienced here (Optus outage aside). The calls have definitely been answered promptly - but that is only part of the measure, and the fault resolution side of things has clearly failed to meet the aim in this instance.

Surely if the Optus outage was fixed at 1:45pm this afternoon, and my SMS and voice services are operational, this is no longer a provisioning issue but a support issue?? Either way I would have thought, going by your aim, that this organisation could manage to find some way of resolving this fault following the recovery of the Optus outage.

It seems I have no choice but to wait with baited breath.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:28 pm

brianh wrote:Earlier this evening, I contacted a service representative just prior to reading the updates here. I was advised that because of the Optus outage, the whole connection had had to be re-provisioned... or something along those lines. I was then told I should be able to connect to the BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) in a few hours.

I have just again contacted a support person to be advised - albeit very politely and apologetically - that this issue is with provisioning who are currently not available and therefore there would not be any progress until tomorrow but that it would be given a high priority and someone would be in touch with me.

I advised the representative - without any personal disrespect to him - that this level of service was entirely unacceptable and unprofessional on behalf of Exetel. It is 5 days since I activated this account and quite apart from being unable to access emails or internet on the device, not one support person I have spoken to has a clear idea of how the Blackberry "package" operates - or even the existence of or need for the BIS - and I have had to explain it to almost all the representatives I have spoken to.

In addition I advised the representative that while I acknowledge he was offering to do the best he could, I had been given a number of assurances during previous calls that had consistently failed to materialise.

I also acknowledged that short of involving the TIO, I have no choice but to accept yet again the assurances of forthcoming action. I am at this point an entirely unsatisfied customer who would pay more to go with another provider just to get a better level of service (I'm talking about the material outcome here, not the manner of the representatives - they have been pleasant, just unable to deliver).

Exetel management need to be aware of this issue and take measures to address the serious breakdowns in their system that clearly exist (I am a qualified management systems professional, I am not just making that statement to sound annoyed).

From your front page - "Exetel's constant aim is to provide the fastest fault resolution service in Australia by answering any customer telephone call in less than 60 seconds on average and ensuring that the person answering the telephone is both well trained and degree qualified in engineering for support and provisioning calls ....."

I have had experience with Blackberry services provided by Telstra, Optus and Vodafone - even Vodafone managed a faster fault resolution response than I have experienced here (Optus outage aside). The calls have definitely been answered promptly - but that is only part of the measure, and the fault resolution side of things has clearly failed to meet the aim in this instance.

Surely if the Optus outage was fixed at 1:45pm this afternoon, and my SMS and voice services are operational, this is no longer a provisioning issue but a support issue?? Either way I would have thought, going by your aim, that this organisation could manage to find some way of resolving this fault following the recovery of the Optus outage.

It seems I have no choice but to wait with baited breath.
Brian,

I personally followed up on this for you and the service is now active. I apologize for any inconvenience. I will also be sending you an email shortly.

brianh

Post by brianh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:28 am

KavindaS,

The email quoted the 0401***514, the phone on the Z15 plan. The number with the problem, as confirmed every time I have rung, is 0423***939 on the BB55 plan.

It is still NOT working.

Words, like my email, fail me.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:53 am

Brian,

Your BB service is still pending in our system. I am not sure why this is still the case but will liaise with the provisioning team to sort it out quickly.
Once that is done, you should be able to proceed with setting up email etc on the service.

In the context of your words in general concerning 'expertise' on the product, it is true. It is a new product/service for Exetel and everyone is quickly learning the vagaries.
The reason for the hitherto quick implementation - was the result of a few loud cries from customers.
We currently only have a handful of customers provisioned on Blackberry services and working to iron out the issues and problems before too many more are connected.

This includes everything you have suggested. From provisioning of service to the notification emails, which will soon be better presented - with steps for email set up.

I sincerely apologise for the problems you have experienced so far. We are working to get them fixed as soon as possible.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:49 am

Brian,

Your BB service is provisioned now. There was a problem at the Optus (supplier) end.

brianh

Post by brianh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:02 pm

It is now accepting email addresses.

I will still need to contact tech support to resolve the issue of the username and password used to login to the BIS web page at optus.blackberry.com so I can configure email settings from on a PC. I will not consider this issue resolved until I am in posession of this information as it is an integral part of the Blackberry service.

Thank you for acknowledging the shortcomings in regard to BB expertise. There were also other issues such as responding to an irrelevant phone no. and not keeping me adequately informed that still need to be addressed but that can obviously only take place in-house.

as for a set up procedure for Blackberry, here is my suggested additions for your consideration, at no charge, from my own knowledge and experience. The first paragraph needs to go on any page advertising the BB plans or services.

"Exetel services provided by Optus operate on the 900 megahertz (MHz) and 2100MHz frequency ranges. You must ensure your phone is compatible with these frequencies or operation will not take place at the expected 3G speed. in the corresponding coverage areas.

Activation set up procedure -
Activation involves establishing voice, data (SMS) and internet/email services. Internet and email services are achieved through the Blackerry Internet Service (BIS) and involve the correct setting of the APN, Browser and email settings on your Blackberry. The steps are as follows:
- Activate then SIM card through the user interface.
- If porting, wait for the network to become unavailable on your existing SIM. This may involve resetting your phone.
- Install the Exetel SIM and establish that voice and data services (SMS) are operating.
- Set APN as per the information provided with your SIM card. ('BLACKBERRY')
- In your Blackberry menu, go to the "Options" icon and select "Options/Advanced Options/Browser" and verify that the Browser is set as follows:
.Default Browser Configuration: "Internet Browser"
.Default MDS Browser Confifuration: "Internet Browser"
.Default WAP Browser Configuration: "Optus Zoo"
NOTE: Failure to ensure the correct APN and Browser settings may result in data being charged to your account at a higher rate than expected.

- To configure email settings, go to the "Setup" icon, then select "Email Setup". This should connect you to the Email server where you can configure the email addresses to be associated with your Blackberry device.

the BIS web page can also be accessed at http://www.optus.blackberry.com by entering your user name and password, once this has been configured from your device, to allow configuration of settings via a computer."

I hope this helps.
Last edited by brianh on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Dear brianh,

We highly appreciate your suggestions :) . As I provided you the BIS link via the email ref: 4434032 in the morning, we will review the initial setup email.