MoIP + SMS over IP...Finally Released

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
raymond
Exetel Staff

Re: MoIP + SMS over IP...Finally Released

Post by raymond » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:13 am

bodogbodog wrote:
glenn929 wrote:the latest version of MoIP was released today
If this is the case how do existing users of MOIP get the update - and if it is by downloading it from the User Facilities are we going to be charged another $2 to download the new version?
Existing MoIP won't get charged for version update.

You just need to go to Appstore and select version update.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:04 am

raymond wrote: 1. Fix SMS sender number to allow user to specify the sender number
is there anything that needs to be done on the account side to verify the sending number first?

glenn929

Post by glenn929 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:52 pm

raymond wrote:
glenn929 wrote:Hi Exetel,

the latest version of MoIP was released today, which seem to have added a great & much needed feature "Sender" but not quite sure what the "Firewalled" is supposed to do?

Is there anywhere we can few release notes for versions?
Is it possible to start seperate Forum section dedicated to MoIP?
Is it possible to have setup guides posted for users? appears to be needed.

& Just 1 more thing, there appears to be a bug with the iPhone app, in history if you touch SMS tab or the date just under the screen will go blank for a short period of time.

Glenn
"Firewalled" means your MoIP is behind router with NATed IP address. When you use Wifi connection in MoIP, usaually your MoIP will be assigned an internal IP. We recommend you to turn it on.

In this realease, we have made the following changes.
1. Fix SMS sender number to allow user to specify the sender number
2. Add Wifi connection feature, which allows MoIP to connect to Wifi connection point
3. Move firewall feature from advanced setting to basic setting, which is easy for user to turn on.
We will verify your mentioned bug and let you know.
So just to verify, when you are connected to WiFi you should turn on "Firewalled"?

It appears that wireless works regardless whether it is on or off, can I ask what the benifits are with it turned on, eg: quality?

which brings me to my next question/point which is a pet hate of mine with iPhones:

Proxy settings, some apps will use the WiFi configuration for these settings, some apps have a built proxy setting to configure, most apps that don't have any options to configure proxy settings don't work on a WiFi network that need proxy settings, this would include MoIP!

Is it possible to set "Proxy Setting" with MoIP?
Rgds
Glenn

glenn929

Post by glenn929 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

jokiin wrote:
raymond wrote: 1. Fix SMS sender number to allow user to specify the sender number
is there anything that needs to be done on the account side to verify the sending number first?
No just add what ever number you would like the user to see when SMS is sent, not sure if that is the same with a VoIP call

glenn929

Post by glenn929 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:59 pm

raymond wrote:
bodogbodog wrote:
glenn929 wrote:the latest version of MoIP was released today
If this is the case how do existing users of MOIP get the update - and if it is by downloading it from the User Facilities are we going to be charged another $2 to download the new version?
Existing MoIP won't get charged for version update.

You just need to go to Appstore and select version update.
I was very lucky, I installed the MoIP app that day (morning) by that night I opened the Apps Store & had 3-4 apps to update & sure enough one was the MoIP, which gave all the new features. So short answer on an iPhone updates will come down via App Store, Simple & affective lol

not sure with other phones

William M

Post by William M » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi Glenn,
So just to verify, when you are connected to WiFi you should turn on "Firewalled"?
Yes, that's correct.
It appears that wireless works regardless whether it is on or off, can I ask what the benefits are with it turned on, eg: quality?
Without the firewall option turned on you should not be able to connection the WiFi connection point for MOIP as indicated by Raymond in the feature release. In terms of connecting via WiFi call quality should be increased as opposed to via 3G.

Unfortunately no. The Exetel MOIP application was only designed to go through the Exetel SIP Proxy and no others.

Cheers Will

glenn929

Post by glenn929 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:03 pm

William M wrote:Hi Glenn,
Yes, that's correct.
It appears that wireless works regardless whether it is on or off, can I ask what the benefits are with it turned on, eg: quality?
Without the firewall option turned on you should not be able to connection the WiFi connection point for MOIP as indicated by Raymond in the feature release. In terms of connecting via WiFi call quality should be increased as opposed to via 3G.

Unfortunately no. The Exetel MOIP application was only designed to go through the Exetel SIP Proxy and no others.

Cheers Will
Thanks Will,

I not sure if i'm on the wrong path here, but I wasn't trying to connect to different SIP Proxy's just the Internet, If I can connect to a Wireless Access Point which then allows me internet access, which inturn allows the MoIP to go through. why can't i get out over another WAP on network that requires a Proxy settings?

So when I'm connected to a WiFi which needs proxy settings & all is configured within Wireless Profile, which allows me to connect to the InterWeb without issue. why can't the MoIP go out through the same avenues if configured?

William M

Post by William M » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:35 pm

It would depend on how the proxy is configured.
I would assume that there is some security in place to ensure that the proxy isn't abused and hence the System Administration of the proxy could possibly have ports blocked disabling VoIP.

Cheers Will

glenn929

Post by glenn929 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:00 pm

I thought this is a better place then any to notify Exetel of a new issue with MoIP

Since the upgrade of the iPhone to OS4.0 The MoIP app we no longer open :(

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:13 pm

glenn929 wrote:I thought this is a better place then any to notify Exetel of a new issue with MoIP

Since the upgrade of the iPhone to OS4.0 The MoIP app we no longer open :(
See viewtopic.php?p=278288#p278288

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

isobel

Post by isobel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:55 am

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered or if I haven't used technically correct language. Can someone please give me some basic information about MOIP, taking my current situation into consideration?

My ISP for my home-based business is exetel (current plan is OCV200). I have an exetel VOIP DID number. For the last couple of years, I have been using the VOIP DID number and account to make incoming and outgoing calls using a "traditional" Uniden cordless phone which is connected to my modem/router (Dynalink RTA1046W).

I recently bought an iPhone 4 and exetel is the carrier for my iPhone (on Z15). How do I arrange to have MOIP on the iPhone? I know that I need to download the app from the app store, but do I need to create a new VOIP account or can I use my existing VOIP number as my MOIP number? If so, when someone rings me, will it ring on my iPhone or on my uniden phone or both? Will I be able to use both the iPhone and the Uniden phone to make calls from the exisiting VOIP account?

Isobel

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:43 am

You can use 2 VoIP devices on the same VoIP account, but it presents a difficulty - there are two IP addresses, and the last one to have registered at any time will get the incoming phone call ring. Who can tell which? This is easily fixed if you are travelling, as you can temporarily disable the home ATA.

isobel

Post by isobel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:01 am

Dazzled wrote:You can use 2 VoIP devices on the same VoIP account, but it presents a difficulty - there are two IP addresses, and the last one to have registered at any time will get the incoming phone call ring. Who can tell which? This is easily fixed if you are travelling, as you can temporarily disable the home ATA.
OK - thanks Dazzled. That makes sense. If I get to keep the same VOIP account for both devices, I'll invest the time and the $1.99 to give it a go. It doesn't really matter if calls to the VOIP number go through to the iPhone when I'm at home. And if calls to the VOIP number go through to the ATA when I'm away, they go to an answering machine anyway which tells people what my mobile phone number is.

On a related issue (which is now probably in the wrong forum) - I've had difficulties disabling the home ATA in the past - I've done it through deliberately choosing an incorrect VOIP setting on the modem/router... Is that what I'm supposed to do or is there another way?

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:09 pm

isobel wrote: On a related issue (which is now probably in the wrong forum) - I've had difficulties disabling the home ATA in the past - I've done it through deliberately choosing an incorrect VOIP setting on the modem/router... Is that what I'm supposed to do or is there another way?
Assuming that you are using the Dynalink RTA1046W , to disable the VOIP you will have to remove the VOIP setting or switch off the router . :) .
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:35 pm

Udara beat me to it. There are some routers with an enable/disable tick box in the browser interface, but unfortunately not all. When there is no box, you can also deliberately make the registration fail with false information, or else unplug a separate ATA so it can't "call home" when the registration expires. If you can still find one of the old-fashioned rotary switches used to switch a single port computer between two ethernet networks you could use this as a simple ATA isolator.

Programmers among us may be able switch VoIP on/off with a computer script writing to its telnet interface (you also need expect installed), but it is very much brand and model dependent what you can achieve. This does work with a Dynalink (invoke the internal voice command), but it's a very nerdy approach to the problem, and it needs a computer to be on, so isn't practical.