MoIP + SMS over IP...Finally Released

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
thomashouseman

Re: MoIP + SMS over IP...Finally Released

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:40 pm

Is there an Android app planned as well?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:03 pm

Is there an Android app planned as well?
Unfortunately there is no MoIP app for android as yet :( .

I believe Csipsimple would be a good choice until there is a MoIP app for Android.

isobel

Post by isobel » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:40 pm

udara wrote:
isobel wrote: On a related issue (which is now probably in the wrong forum) - I've had difficulties disabling the home ATA in the past - I've done it through deliberately choosing an incorrect VOIP setting on the modem/router... Is that what I'm supposed to do or is there another way?
Assuming that you are using the Dynalink RTA1046W , to disable the VOIP you will have to remove the VOIP setting or switch off the router . :) .

Dazzled wrote:Udara beat me to it. There are some routers with an enable/disable tick box in the browser interface, but unfortunately not all. When there is no box, you can also deliberately make the registration fail with false information, or else unplug a separate ATA so it can't "call home" when the registration expires. If you can still find one of the old-fashioned rotary switches used to switch a single port computer between two ethernet networks you could use this as a simple ATA isolator.

Programmers among us may be able switch VoIP on/off with a computer script writing to its telnet interface (you also need expect installed), but it is very much brand and model dependent what you can achieve. This does work with a Dynalink (invoke the internal voice command), but it's a very nerdy approach to the problem, and it needs a computer to be on, so isn't practical.

Thanks Udara and Dazzled - because I want to keep the connection to the internet at home even when I am not home, I think the way that I have been doing it (deliberately pick the "wrong" option in the "voice" settings when I'm in the Dynalink settings) is the most practical way to do it.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:07 pm

isobel wrote:
udara wrote:
isobel wrote: On a related issue (which is now probably in the wrong forum) - I've had difficulties disabling the home ATA in the past - I've done it through deliberately choosing an incorrect VOIP setting on the modem/router... Is that what I'm supposed to do or is there another way?
Assuming that you are using the Dynalink RTA1046W , to disable the VOIP you will have to remove the VOIP setting or switch off the router . :) .

Dazzled wrote:Udara beat me to it. There are some routers with an enable/disable tick box in the browser interface, but unfortunately not all. When there is no box, you can also deliberately make the registration fail with false information, or else unplug a separate ATA so it can't "call home" when the registration expires. If you can still find one of the old-fashioned rotary switches used to switch a single port computer between two ethernet networks you could use this as a simple ATA isolator.

Programmers among us may be able switch VoIP on/off with a computer script writing to its telnet interface (you also need expect installed), but it is very much brand and model dependent what you can achieve. This does work with a Dynalink (invoke the internal voice command), but it's a very nerdy approach to the problem, and it needs a computer to be on, so isn't practical.

Thanks Udara and Dazzled - because I want to keep the connection to the internet at home even when I am not home, I think the way that I have been doing it (deliberately pick the "wrong" option in the "voice" settings when I'm in the Dynalink settings) is the most practical way to do it.
I think having a second account would probably be a lot simpler, you could always forward your calls and on net calls have no cost

isobel

Post by isobel » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:39 pm

jokiin wrote:I think having a second account would probably be a lot simpler, you could always forward your calls and on net calls have no cost
Forwarding my calls is actually the major issue - the only way I've been able to successfully do that recently is by disabling the ATA... (I used to be able to forward calls with the 0112x functions, but that now hasn't worked for me for many many months - and hence my query about how I'm supposed to disable the ATA...)

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:43 pm

ShaminG wrote: Unfortunately there is no MoIP app for android as yet :( .
Is there one in the planning?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:04 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
ShaminG wrote: Unfortunately there is no MoIP app for android as yet :( .
Is there one in the planning?
Unfortunately for the moment NO :( . Once it developed it will be updated in http://www.exetel.com.au/moip-handsets.php

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Has anyone with Android looked at Linphone? (I don't have one to try with). It's been around a while as a computer softphone.

satyr

Post by satyr » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:18 am

I've been having problems with the Exetel MOIP on my Nokia e63.

For a while it worked reasonably well. But then after a few months it stopped working. I was too busy to look into it (work) so I used my Exetel 3G account. That cost me a hefty amount for about 4 or 5 months. Far more than I factored with using the VOIP over the phone. Eventually my work contract ended and I had time to look into the failings of the MOIP.

I uninstalled it, re-installed and a few other things but basically, it would dial out, I would hear nothing from my end, then eventually it would hang up by itself and do it's 'normal call clearing' thing. Apparently intended call recipients would be getting my call, but they too would get no sound. I checked this with a few calls to close friends. And also to my home phone. The SMS worked fine.

I called Exetel Support and they said to update my mobile phones firmware. I did that. Then re-installed the MOIP app, and also re-installed the Nokia Sip VOIP settings app. Configured all including Exetel Internet, and tried the MOIP again. It registers fine, calls numbers, and then nothing! No dial tone from my end, and still no sound from the recipients end. Again after about 10 to 20 seconds it hangs up and does it's call clearing. SMS works well.

I called Exetel tech support again for assistance with this and another support person opened up a ticket for me. Said someone more VOIP knowledgable would call me back. That was about 1 month ago. I did call back about 2 weeks ago, and they said they'd escalate my ticket. Still no response.

Today I spent a bit of time re-installing the phones firmware, re-installing Nokia Sip app, re-installing Exetel MOIP app, reconfiguring Exetel Internet Access point, .... ===> same outcome. With Exetel MOIP app, it dials out. No dial tone, no sound from my end. Home phone rings, no sound received. Even if I move to another room and yell at the phone. SMS works fine.

Starting up the MOIP app part works fine. It registers and all. Just cant get the voice/sound going through the connection.

And here's the thing. If I stop the MOIP app, and just make a plain Internet call using the Exetel Internet connection then call goes through fine. Sounds and connection all fine! Unfortunately I can't seem to send text messages through the Exetel Internet Connection and instead it goes through the regular Exetel 3G connection. This is more expensive than via MOIP. There is also the inconvenience of switching and swapping modes of call for Voice. And SMS is cheaper via Exetel MOIP app. If the Exetel MOIP app worked with voice calls too, then that would be dandy!

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:19 am

Could you please update this thread with the ticket reference number that you mentioned. So anyone could check the ticket and provide you an update. :)

satyr

Post by satyr » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:13 pm

KavindaS wrote:Could you please update this thread with the ticket reference number that you mentioned. So anyone could check the ticket and provide you an update. :)
The ticket number as 4442214. I had to call back tech support because I forgot on which scrap of paper I scribbled that down on :) He also said that a tech officer by the name of Lasita has escalated the case to a VOIP engineer?

I did call about this issue probably ~ two weeks before 19/8, but then the tech support, after a lengthy discussion, put it down to my phones outdated firmware, and suggested I try updating the firmware and trying again. Which I did, yielding the same result. He had said if it still didn't work then I should call back. Perhaps thats why a ticket wasn't opened up back then?

Here's the summary of knowns again:

1) Mobile phone works when making out going VOIP calls using it's standard Nokia sip app, internet telephony app, and Exetel VOIP number service.

2) SMS over VOIP works using Exetel MOIP

3) When attempting outgoing VOIP calls through the MOIP app, it registers fine and all that. But then when I try to make a call, I hear no dial tone, no ringing, and after a while the app hangs up by itself, and does it's "normal clearing" thing. Sometimes it doesn't hang up though. IOW it's not consistent.

4) Exetel VOIP over MOIP used to work in the earlier months

5) Still haven't received a call from a MOIP expert, or a VOIP expert or engineer.

Thanks.

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Post by Kaushalya » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:13 pm

The ticket number as 4442214. I had to call back tech support because I forgot on which scrap of paper I scribbled that down on :) He also said that a tech officer by the name of Lasita has escalated the case to a VOIP engineer?

I did call about this issue probably ~ two weeks before 19/8, but then the tech support, after a lengthy discussion, put it down to my phones outdated firmware, and suggested I try updating the firmware and trying again. Which I did, yielding the same result. He had said if it still didn't work then I should call back. Perhaps thats why a ticket wasn't opened up back then?

1) Mobile phone works when making out going VOIP calls using it's standard Nokia sip app, internet telephony app, and Exetel VOIP number service.

3) When attempting outgoing VOIP calls through the MOIP app, it registers fine and all that. But then when I try to make a call, I hear no dial tone, no ringing, and after a while the app hangs up by itself, and does it's "normal clearing" thing. Sometimes it doesn't hang up though. IOW it's not consistent.

5) Still haven't received a call from a MOIP expert, or a VOIP expert or engineer.
I have escalated the support ticket 4442214 to our VOIP engineer and the developing team. I will provide you an update tomorrow by close of business.

pasanm

Post by pasanm » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:30 pm

satyr wrote:
KavindaS wrote:Could you please update this thread with the ticket reference number that you mentioned. So anyone could check the ticket and provide you an update. :)

Thanks.
Hi

I just made a routing change to your service , can you please check the service and let us know the outcome ?
Exetel Systems Team

satyr

Post by satyr » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:05 pm

pasanm wrote:
Hi

I just made a routing change to your service , can you please check the service and let us know the outcome ?
Hi pasanm,

I made multiple attempts.

1) Some of the time the call would not even connect, though it would call at the receiving end. And some of the time I can hear some un-intelligible sounds at the receiving ends answering machine, when calling through the MOIP app, but I cannot leave a message because the delay and quality was atrocious. The delay was so long that the answering machine had finished and hang-up, whilst the MOIP call was still trying to engage. I estimate the delay to be in the range of 2 minutes to infinity.

2) The MOIP app now doesn't hang up by itself like it used to do. And even when I press hang-up takes about 1 to 3 minutes to hangup.

3) plain VOIP calls (without MOIP app) using Exetel Internet have deteriorated to level of impossible. Before the route change they were borderline tolerable to intolerable.

Were the routes changed for any reason in the earlier months? Because I was making VOIP calls through the MOIP app December, January, Feb, March even.

Or has your upstream provider (Optus) made any changes to their protocols? I know they have recently started promoting their domestic 3G booster products, so maybe they have reciprocated with reducing VOIP sensitivity, or reduced signal strength?

pasanm

Post by pasanm » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:18 pm

satyr wrote:
pasanm wrote:
Hi

Hi pasanm,

I made multiple attempts.

1) Some of the time the call would not even connect, though it would call at the receiving end. And some of the time I can hear some un-intelligible sounds at the receiving ends answering machine, when calling through the MOIP app, but I cannot leave a message because the delay and quality was atrocious. The delay was so long that the answering machine had finished and hang-up, whilst the MOIP call was still trying to engage. I estimate the delay to be in the range of 2 minutes to infinity.

2) The MOIP app now doesn't hang up by itself like it used to do. And even when I press hang-up takes about 1 to 3 minutes to hangup.

3) plain VOIP calls (without MOIP app) using Exetel Internet have deteriorated to level of impossible. Before the route change they were borderline tolerable to intolerable.

Were the routes changed for any reason in the earlier months? Because I was making VOIP calls through the MOIP app December, January, Feb, March even.

Or has your upstream provider (Optus) made any changes to their protocols? I know they have recently started promoting their domestic 3G booster products, so maybe they have reciprocated with reducing VOIP sensitivity, or reduced signal strength?

Hi

The routing change was done today to see if its resolve the issue.
Can you check the internet connectivity of the device that you are using for VOIP is steady and have enough bandwidth.
I dont find any reason for failing calls from our side.

I suspect it may cause by codec settings in MOIP App, you may try different codecs and see.
also make a ping test to 58.96.1.2 and see what the latency is ?
Exetel Systems Team