VOIP breaking up

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Shortlegs

VOIP breaking up

Post by Shortlegs » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

My voip is breaking up. the person I am calling their voice breaks up. It happens manly at night! I have NB9W modem, ADSL2. I have Change the codec, changed the filter to ADSL2 and downloaded the soft phone and tried it. It has been like this for a while now. I have had to reset my modem several times now, seems to be on a weekend! Is this a coincidence? Some times there is 2 ringing tones Help!!!

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Re: VOIP breaking up

Post by rukshani » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Shortlegs wrote:My voip is breaking up. the person I am calling their voice breaks up. It happens manly at night! I have NB9W modem, ADSL2. I have Change the codec, changed the filter to ADSL2 and downloaded the soft phone and tried it. It has been like this for a while now. I have had to reset my modem several times now, seems to be on a weekend! Is this a coincidence? Some times there is 2 ringing tones Help!!!
I have passed this on to a support engineer who will look in to this for you.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Does the softphone break up as well? If not, suspect your NB9W.

Normally it is the audio outwards that breaks up when bandwidth is limited. I wonder if your exchange has a jitter problem. You can test it by pinging Exetel for a sequence of pings at peak/weekend times. The trip times can be slow, but should not vary wildly, or VoIP packets can arrive out of order and over-run the receiving buffer (http://www.voiptroubleshooter.com/probl ... uffer.html)

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:13 am

Dear Shortlegs,

I have tested the ping times to your WAN IP from one of our gateway routers and the results as below,

min/avg/max = 28/31/48 ms

Hence, better option would be to try the softphone at this stage.

Shortlegs

Post by Shortlegs » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Tried to call Tasmania last night with the soft phone. call was breaking up as before? call quality was better before I changed to ADSL2! Any other suggestions?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:43 pm

The softphone result rules out the NB9W's built-in ATA. Ping 58.96.1.2 and look for variance. Jitter is more ruinous than an occasional very long delay. Check your current modem line rates as well. Are there any browsing problems at these times?

felix

Post by felix » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Are you doing these tests using an ethernet cable and no other devices/computers using the ADSL2 link?

If you have no QoS or prioritisation, your VoiP is competing against everything else on the network for bandwidth.

Shortlegs

Post by Shortlegs » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:54 am

Sounds like it is a jitter problem, thanks for the clue. I only have one computer and it does not matter if it is on or not. The phone is good now in the morning. gets bad in the evenings. My current bandwith is 6.9 mps. Maybe cancel my DID no and apply for another from a different Exchange?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Shortlegs wrote:Sounds like it is a jitter problem, thanks for the clue. I only have one computer and it does not matter if it is on or not. The phone is good now in the morning. gets bad in the evenings. My current bandwith is 6.9 mps. Maybe cancel my DID no and apply for another from a different Exchange?
If the issue is related to the evening times, Would you be able to check the line speeds during that time and update us? Check whether you get totally difference speeds comparing to good times.

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:07 pm

I too am having issues with VOIP
It started back about July this year and has continued.
At times (particularly in the evening from 5pm EST onwards) any VOIP call made by me, or from others calling in from an outside PSTN or mobile to my VOIP number, has the issue where I cannot understand the other person because their signal breaks up to series of staccato bleeps and hollow sounding echos. They are able to hear me very clearly. This problem can occur at other time in the day but is particularly prevalent in the evening. There are times during a call when the connection works fine and then it will intermittently become unusable. People calling in to my PSTN does not generate the issue
I raised a fault log and spent several weeks in discussion trying to solve the problem. Different modems were used and a soft phone was tried. All had the same issue
Down load rates were recorded and there were significant fluctuations. Poor readings coincided with poor VOIP
The codec was adjusted but no change.
At the end of all this I received the following email from tech support:
"I have investigated the issue with our wholesale supplier and it appears the slow speed matter (which affects your VoIP service) is due to network related problems from their end.

We have already requested an ETA on the matter from our supplier. I will be in contact with you, once we get hold of more details in this regard from our wholesale supplier." and

"Please note that ETA provided by our wholesale supplier is June 2012.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused."

So for those of you who are having similar issues it would appear there is no easy fix.
Because June 2012 is so far away I did ask if changing from ADSL1 to ADSL2 would fix the problem. The answer was indeterminate because of a lot of other technical possibilities that could affect the result.
When I signed up with Exetel I chose a 1500 plan so the high download rates would allow good VOIP but it would appear I am paying for a service speed that cannot be delivered.
I am a very light internet user. I really only need higher speed for VOIP..
Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get around this VOIP issue. And do you know if changing ISP will fix the problem or is the problem at the wholesale supplier end going to be common across all VOIP/Internet suppliers?
Thank you

Shortlegs

Post by Shortlegs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:34 pm

I am glad it is not just me having this problem ( jitter ) Check out http://www.voiptroubleshooter.com/probl ... uffer.html Sound familiar? I have been in contact with the help desk for a while now and it seems like I am going around in circles. Speed tests were done, codec and ADSL filter, to ADSL2 one were changed. Ping tests were done in the day and evening ( The results varied greatly from the day to the evening ) The soft phone made no difference.
It was even suggested it may be fault on my end, but this did not sound logical a the VOIP was ok in the day!
At least it looks like you have received some sort answer to the problem, but what do we do in the mean time. At night we do a lot of our calls to relatives who live in other states.
P.S. Do not bother changing to ADSL2 if you hope it will help. It doesn't.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:01 pm

There's no easy ADSL1 or ADSL2 fix. Dapto is a Telstra-only exchange, no matter who you get a retail service from, and it appears to have more traffic lined up at peak times than it has capacity to send on. Packets are queued and transmitted as soon as possible. It slows browsing but can ruin voice.

A work-around at peak times might be to use VoIP over wireless internet, depending on how well it performs at your place. Options here are: MoIP on mobile phone; a softphone and a Huawei USB modem; and a wireless broadband-enabled router, with a Huawei and an ATA. Any chance of borrowing one to try?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:18 pm

VoIP can work over pretty minimal speed connections, I'd still be inclined to think there was a localised issue (router perhaps) that can just get by during the day but the extra impact during peak time being enough to cause it to break up

any chance of borrowing a router off someone to try in isolation?

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:11 am

I have been unable to find a VOIP enabled modem to borrow in the short term however I hope to get one in a few weeks. If I get some useful results I will post.
In the interim, I borrowed another near new modem to do speed tests using the exetel recommended link. The results showed the same erratic download degradation I was experiencing with my current modem and all occurring at basically the same general daily time frame (evenings in particular). The data transfer and page loading during the degraded times is very slow and no where near as good as I should be experiencing with the 1500 plan I am on. These results were supplied to the techs during their investigation.
Will keep in touch

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:16 am

I forgot to ask:
For us less technically savvy computer users, is there a way to adjust the jitter configuration to experiment with solving this problem?
Thanks