Windows Live Mail

Email setup and troubleshooting
Nadali7

Re: Windows Live Mail

Post by Nadali7 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:50 pm

I followed the instructions and sent a message to the faulty email account. Came through into the webmail inbox and also downloaded it with WLM. It stayed up on the server about 20 minutes before "automatically" disappearing. I had WLM turned off during this period, so no instructions from my computer to the server.

Last night I deleted the faulty account after first backing up all the messages. Then added it back onto WLM with the same name (and the server manually via Manage > Email), choosing the option to leave messages on the server. Works fine but still emails keep disappearing off the server even more frequently than yesterday - about 20 mins or so.

I also checked my wife's email account that I mentioned seem to be having problems. But not so today--messages in her inbox have remained on the server for 8 hours now. So the problem is just with the one account--my primary one.

At least the problem does seem to be solid. Are there any housekeeping activities of the server with a 20-30 minute cycle? I really don't believe it's my end.

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:52 pm

I followed the instructions and sent a message to the faulty email account. Came through into the webmail inbox and also downloaded it with WLM. It stayed up on the server about 20 minutes before "automatically" disappearing. I had WLM turned off during this period, so no instructions from my computer to the server.

Last night I deleted the faulty account after first backing up all the messages. Then added it back onto WLM with the same name (and the server manually via Manage > Email), choosing the option to leave messages on the server. Works fine but still emails keep disappearing off the server even more frequently than yesterday - about 20 mins or so.

I also checked my wife's email account that I mentioned seem to be having problems. But not so today--messages in her inbox have remained on the server for 8 hours now. So the problem is just with the one account--my primary one.

At least the problem does seem to be solid. Are there any housekeeping activities of the server with a 20-30 minute cycle? I really don't believe it's my end.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:43 pm

I still feel in my bones that it's coming from your end, but I'll ask the tech staff to check the server for you.

Do you have a firewall or other log that records all connections to pop3.nsw.exemail.com.au (220.233.0.76)?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Nadali7 wrote:I followed the instructions and sent a message to the faulty email account. Came through into the webmail inbox and also downloaded it with WLM. It stayed up on the server about 20 minutes before "automatically" disappearing. I had WLM turned off during this period, so no instructions from my computer to the server.

Hi Nadali7,
Before I escalate this to our network department would you be able to test the email account without opening your email client (Windows live mail) for 1 or 2 hours? Just close the windows live and make sure emails are not downloading to that. If you have configured this same email address in 2 email clients you need to make sure both email clients are closed during that time. Send a test email to your own email through web mail and once it is received monitor for 1 or 2 hours and check whether that remains in the inbox or not.

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi KavindaS,
I tried this yesterday and even pulled the ethernet cable out. Problem still present. I used to have the problem address on WLM in my administrator area but I deleted that last night. So as far as I know only one WLM and that's in my user area. Anyway I have repeated what you asked -closed WLM (not just minimized) and sent a test email from my secondary email account to the problem primary one using webmail. Checked the problem webmail inbox immediately (2-38pm) and Test had arrived. Then
2-44pm Test in Webmail Inbox
2-58pm "" "" ""
3-04pm "" "" ""
3-11pm Inbox empty.
WLM off for the duration.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Nadali7 wrote:Hi KavindaS,
I tried this yesterday and even pulled the ethernet cable out. Problem still present. I used to have the problem address on WLM in my administrator area but I deleted that last night. So as far as I know only one WLM and that's in my user area. Anyway I have repeated what you asked -closed WLM (not just minimized) and sent a test email from my secondary email account to the problem primary one using webmail. Checked the problem webmail inbox immediately (2-38pm) and Test had arrived. Then
2-44pm Test in Webmail Inbox
2-58pm "" "" ""
3-04pm "" "" ""
3-11pm Inbox empty.
WLM off for the duration.
Hi Nadali7,

Thanks for the information. I have escalated your issue with our network department to check through the mail servers. We will update you as soon as we receive a update by them. Your reference number is 4537533.

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks KavindaS, I'll keep a look out.

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:03 am

Whilst I wait for the server engineers to look at this problem, is it possible to check/set the 'retain mail on server' option using telnet?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:45 am

The server shouldn't be deleting your mail at all. It's a widely used system; you can look it up under Dovecot at http://www.dovecot.org/.

Dovecot installations are tested using telnet, eg http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestPop3Installation. Messages should only be deleted when a process logs in and issues the command DELE <number> as described in an earlier post.

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:52 am

Looks like the puzzle may have been solved. Exetel took a close look at the problem but couldn't see anything on the server size. But they did notice that a particular remote site was attempting and maybe succeeding to access the address during a 3 hour period that I had agreed not to use WLM or Webmail. They suggested that the IP address could be flagged and blocked by them, but I took their other advice and changed all my passwords. Over the last15 hours all email addresses and the default offending one have been working fine-all messages being retained on the server. So hooray for that and thanks Exetel.

There is possibly a related postscript. A few months ago I noticed that my modem light was forever flashing even though I was not actively doing anything on the internet. On scrutinizing my usage results I found that ther were often days when the upload was often 4x the download even exceeding 1GB. There were no programs like VOIP, Skype, P2P running. I did contact Exetel by phone but they were unable to suggest anything except some program running in the background. I'm wondering now whether this may be related to the email problem. Had my computer been recruited as some kind of bot? I used to solve the problem by simply rebooting the computer from cold.

BTW the modem password for access to Exetel is incredibly simple to 'guess'. Can it be changed?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:32 am

BTW the modem password for access to Exetel is incredibly simple to 'guess'. Can it be changed?
I believe you have been in contact with one of my colleagues (Anuranga), who suggested the PW change.

Modem PW can be changed via the member's facility. Once you logged in, click on 'My Details' -> Select the tab 'Login details' to edit the modem PW :).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:52 am

I'll bet that's a relief.

If you change your User Facility password, remember it is now tied to the modem login. It was an email account password that was improperly used though, and that's the important one to change.

It is possible for Windows malware to detect email login details. It is not encrypted, as the telnet adventures showed.

If you again see anything that suggests a foreign process is running on your computer and going online, you can see the processes online using the netstat command. There is a long account here http://sourcedaddy.com/windows-7/netstat.html

Nadali7

Post by Nadali7 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:19 am

Dazzled, Thanks for the link.
And thank you Dazzled, Shamin and Anuranga for the time spent and helpful suggestions. It has certainly been a battle. :D

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Nadali7 wrote:Dazzled, Thanks for the link.
And thank you Dazzled, Shamin and Anuranga for the time spent and helpful suggestions. It has certainly been a battle. :D
No worries. Glad to help you on this :mrgreen: