APN for Exetel mobile services using the Optus network

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
tabletennisman

Re: APN for Exetel mobile services using the Optus network

Post by tabletennisman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:08 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:
Just activated my z39 plan for an iPhone 3gs running 4.3.5 and can't seem to find a way to check whether the correct APN is assigned. After inserting the new SIM I reset the Network Settings on the phone and all appears to be working correctly (calls, SMS/MMS etc), but just want to make sure I am connecting to the correct APN and avoid the risk of incurring huge data charges mentioned. How is this done witout JailBreaking the phone?
The APN should be YESINTERNET for iPhones on the mobile Z plans. You should check this.
Anything else and you will be paying high data charges.
when using 'internet' apn setting on 4 of our htc desire phones here, mms messages don't send. MMS messages only send once 'yesinternet' apn is set. Your support staff said this will be fine and won't incur further charges?? Who's right?

(Exetel Residential Support #4290317)

brianh

Post by brianh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Blackberry Plans must use 'BLACKBERRY' (informed as of today by ShaminG)

Please update original post...... AND edit the Optus Wiki to reflect the new information.....

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:14 pm

Blackberry Plans must use 'BLACKBERRY' (informed as of today by ShaminG)

Please update original post...... AND edit the Optus Wiki to reflect the new information.....
It's already there, please refer http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... thering.3F

brianh

Post by brianh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:40 pm

That's all listed under Tethering.... Why would I look there, if I'm not tethering?

In addition, there are four "flavours" listed, without any clarification of what they're used for....And apart from that, they are NOT listed under APN, where I would expect to find them.

I think it needs to be set out more clearly, otherwise customers still have no idea what they are supposed to use.

Regards,
Brian

Audrey Jnr

Post by Audrey Jnr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:49 pm

jokiin wrote:
ExetelVoice wrote:
the information in the APN field is not viewable when using an iPhone with an Optus SIM card, the ability to see this information or not is decided by the carrier whose SIM you are using, resetting the network settings will always load the default carrier profile for any SIM which has a carrier profile associated (any provider that has supplied the iPhone has their own carrier profile)
Had a minor freak-out earlier this month when my new Z15 SIM didn't automatically configure the APNs needed for internet & MMS on my Nokia (Thought I MUST be incurring $1430 / GB cost because of it - drama queen!), but a quick phone call to Exetel and the configuration /settings were SMS's to me. Crisis averted.

Now, with plans to activate a Z plan on my better half's 3GS iPhone, I'm trying to cover all bases. V frustrating that we can't view the APNs on an iPhone, without Jailbreaking or carrying on with Apple Configuration Utilities! Ugh! iPains!!! :twisted:

But, if I understand johnny2times and jokiin's exchange on Page 4, all we have to do is insert the new SIM, reset the network settings, and trust that the SIM is configuring all APNs as desired. (Even though it didn't do this with my Nokia - grumble whinge :? )

Now, because I'm a teensy bit Amish and don't really trust new-fangled techno gadgets etc etc, I thought, as a fail-safe, we could insert the sim, test that the internet connection and mms are working, then leave it for a couple of days and see what shows up in the Member's Facility? If the wrong APNs were configured, would the costs show up in the "Plan Excess Charges" section of the Mobile Usage section of the Member's Facility, or the "Plan Excluded Charges" section of the mobile phone meter / call summary?

Does that sound like an odd way to go about it? One reason (other than iPains! and laziness) I'd like to avoid using the Apple Configuration Utility is that the 3GS currently has a bit of a hardware glitch (santa's gonna fix it), and we can't update it, so the Utility might not even work.

So a couple of tests with the APN's then see if anything nasty shows up in the Member's facility? Do you guys think that sounds like a reasonable plan?

Would love to hear your thoughts - peace out :wink:
Feeeed Me . . . I'm HUNGRY!!!

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:04 pm

Audrey Jnr wrote: all we have to do is insert the new SIM, reset the network settings, and trust that the SIM is configuring all APNs as desired. (Even though it didn't do this with my Nokia - grumble whinge :? )
yes, something an iPhone can do but a Nokia can't
Audrey Jnr wrote:

Now, because I'm a teensy bit Amish and don't really trust new-fangled techno gadgets etc etc, I thought, as a fail-safe, we could insert the sim, test that the internet connection and mms are working, then leave it for a couple of days and see what shows up in the Member's Facility? If the wrong APNs were configured, would the costs show up in the "Plan Excess Charges" section of the Mobile Usage section of the Member's Facility, or the "Plan Excluded Charges" section of the mobile phone meter / call summary?

Does that sound like an odd way to go about it? One reason (other than iPains! and laziness) I'd like to avoid using the Apple Configuration Utility is that the 3GS currently has a bit of a hardware glitch (santa's gonna fix it), and we can't update it, so the Utility might not even work.

So a couple of tests with the APN's then see if anything nasty shows up in the Member's facility? Do you guys think that sounds like a reasonable plan?

Would love to hear your thoughts - peace out :wink:
Certainly no harm in being cautious and checking after a few days as to what's happening

Ditman1

Post by Ditman1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:23 pm

I have just moved 2 services onto the new Z plans and I have to say felt left up in the air after calling support 4 times on the weekend.

Call was hung up on the first time and then once the VOIP I could not hear the person in the call centre and they could not hear me.

That aside the first operator was sending me the settings via OTA that did not arrive so I called back and I was told the APN for MMS was mms but no other settings like IP or port.

Can these settings not be put in the wiki somewhere for step by step setup.

I was lucky I have my daughters phone with Exetel already and copied the settings from there.

Thanks

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:02 pm

Can these settings not be put in the wiki somewhere for step by step setup.
This has not yet been added due to the diverse setup process in handsets. However, we will update the wiki with some generic set of instructions. I believe that will address the matter to a certain extent :).

Ditman1

Post by Ditman1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:28 pm

This has not yet been added due to the diverse setup process in handsets. However, we will update the wiki with some generic set of instructions. I believe that will address the matter to a certain extent .
Thanks for that would make life a bit easier. :P

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:48 pm

Thanks for that would make life a bit easier.
Once the wiki page has been updated, I will provide you with the link. :)

Ditman1

Post by Ditman1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:48 pm

Once the wiki page has been updated, I will provide you with the link.
Hi

I have bought everyone new phones for Christmas 2 x Android & 1 x Unlocked Telstra Samsung. I thought I would get a head start before Christmas so the day isn't a right off.

I haven't had an email for Updates to the WIKI and I still can't find the settings for MMS, And Internet and wap. I'm am going to setup 1 phone at a time so don't want to call the helpdesk 3 times.

Generic Settings would be good like :
Bearer
Addresses needed
Ports
IP addresses

Broken down to MMs, Internet, WAP.

Thanks

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Ditman1

Post by Ditman1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Many thanks Dazzled this will make life way easier.

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:02 pm

on the new iPhone 5 is it still necessary to set the APN or does it pick up the setting automatically?
I cant seem to find the menu option to edit the APN............

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Lawrie wrote:on the new iPhone 5 is it still necessary to set the APN or does it pick up the setting automatically?
I cant seem to find the menu option to edit the APN............
Make sure no other additional profiles created. Therefore it should automatically push the APN from the phone.