Netflix

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Wolverine

Netflix

Post by Wolverine » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:24 pm

I just recently signed on to netflix. However, I can't seem to be able to get netflix to stream HD into my PC.I average 10mbps testing through speedtest.net
Is any one here signed with netflix and can stream HD content ?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Netflix

Post by Dazzled » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:29 am

Aren't Netflix servers in the US, not local? A fast connection isn't enough if the data is fed from an international source. A traceroute to the server IP address would be useful.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 am

Dazzled wrote:Aren't Netflix servers in the US, not local? A fast connection isn't enough if the data is fed from an international source. A traceroute to the server IP address would be useful.
I don't use it but from what I understand from friends that use Netflix it's still a USA only service and they access it via a VPN to get around a geoblock, if this is the case still I'd expect that would be a large part of the problem

felix

Post by felix » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:06 pm

I would re-read your T&C for the service.

Netflix licensing is geographically specific and thus they would be very stringent on their ensuring that content only streams to USA IP addresses.

Possible solutions are establishing your own VPN account in the USA however this is dodgy under copyright law (and possibly illegal under US law) as you will be viewing in AUS and thus violating your T&C, which would allow them to terminate your service. I would imagine that the IP ranges of large-scale VPN providers are also blocked from Netflix servers.

Try and view ABC iView outside Australia or region specific BBC content outside the UK and you get the same thing.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:31 pm

I've already purchased a US based IP address. So I have already bypassed that geoblock problem.
My question is not whether or not I can get Netflix ( I am getting it already). My question is why I can't stream Netflix in HD ie 720p or 1080p?
I have read on whirlpool that people in Australia are already streaming Netflix in HD. However, they are with other ISPs that are not Exetel.
I know that Netflix can detect your bandwidth speed and adjust the streaming content accordingly ie SD or HD. In saying that, I am getting 10mbps by testing it through speedtest.net .
In whirlpool forums, it is mentioned that 5mbps is sufficent in streaming 720p content.
So my question still stands. Is any one here signed with netflix and can stream HD content ?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:01 pm

Wolverine wrote:I've already purchased a US based IP address. So I have already bypassed that geoblock problem.
My question is not whether or not I can get Netflix ( I am getting it already). My question is why I can't stream Netflix in HD ie 720p or 1080p?
Not for me to comment on any moral/legal issues, the problem is more to do with accessing through a 3rd party and how much bandwidth they have available for you and anyone else they might be servicing through the same channels, I suspect this is your issue

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:30 pm

jokiin wrote: the problem is more to do with accessing through a 3rd party and how much bandwidth they have available for you and anyone else they might be servicing through the same channels, I suspect this is your issue
I am using the same service that everyone else on whirlpool is using to bypass the geoblock. They are all streaming Netflix in HD . The only difference is that they are going through a different ISP (not exetel).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:20 pm

If the others are all using exactly the same VPN, the routes may still differ a little - what is it? The problem has several variables, and a bit more information would help. According to the Netflix site, "Our highest quality files are 4800 kbps (for 1080p HD video) and 384 kbps audio (for 5.1 audio)" .

David R

Post by David R » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:57 pm

Is there a guarantee that Netflix at some stage will open up internationally?
Nb. Discriminatory/dodgy pricing could easily make that un-worthwhile.

"Netflix licensing is geographically specific and thus they would be very stringent on their ensuring that content only streams to USA IP addresses. "

So we might agree this shows "not very amiable customer support" while the policy so far has been they have chosen to close their doors to customers.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:10 am

Wolverine wrote: I am using the same service that everyone else on whirlpool is using to bypass the geoblock. They are all streaming Netflix in HD . The only difference is that they are going through a different ISP (not exetel).
I looked at the Netflix forum and what I find interesting is the amount of comment about 'not being able' to stream HD from customers of a variety of ISP's. Many seem only able to stream SD or 'Med HD'.
Perhaps this is more a function of time of day and/or long haul /congested traffic from the US than local ISP's.
RAND-NF/20INCTEL-Draytek 2710vn

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Mixer wrote: Perhaps this is more a function of time of day and/or long haul /congested traffic from the US than local ISP's.
I have tried it at all times ie 3am US time. Still no HD.

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:13 am

You should peform further speed tests to isolate the issue, I'd suggest segment testing:

1. Test download speeds from mirror.exetel.com.au

2. Test download speeds from your vpn vps in the US. (Assuming you have a server included with your VPN)

3. Lastly, test speeds from netflix source server.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/