Email filter not working!

Email setup and troubleshooting
Farid

Email filter not working!

Post by Farid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:43 am

I've been receiving spams for some time, and recently decided to use the filters in Exemail facility to stop them at the server level (i.e., deleting them from the inbox straightaway), but I still receive some of them on my Outlook and Entourage email applications! Can you please help me with this?
Regards,

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Re: Email filter not working!

Post by stevecJ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 am

Farid wrote:I've been receiving spams for some time, and recently decided to use the filters in Exemail facility to stop them at the server level (i.e., deleting them from the inbox straightaway), but I still receive some of them on my Outlook and Entourage email applications! Can you please help me with this?
Regards,
Hi,

We cannot 100% grantee that all the spam emails will be blocked from the spam filter, as there are new spammers created every day.

When you receive new spam, you may forward them to 'spam@exetel.com.au' in order to train the spam filter.
Last edited by stevecJ on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Farid

Post by Farid » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:44 am

I've been doing this (forwarding the SAME spams) to the above email address (spam@exetel.com.au), and there has been no effect at all!! I really hope you can help me with this.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:03 pm

Farid wrote:I've been doing this (forwarding the SAME spams) to the above email address (spam@exetel.com.au), and there has been no effect at all!! I really hope you can help me with this.
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, could you please forward some of the recent spam emails to 'hosting@exetel.com.au' in order to further investigate on this.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Farid

Post by Farid » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:05 pm

I've been forwarding the spam emails to the new email address [hosting@exetel.com.au], and still no avail! Surely there must be a solution on how to delete the spams at server level!?

shoner

Post by shoner » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:04 am

Farid wrote:I've been forwarding the spam emails to the new email address [hosting@exetel.com.au], and still no avail! Surely there must be a solution on how to delete the spams at server level!?
Thank you and we have received your email. As stated earlier, the spam filter is not 100% effective. You need to keep forwarding spam emails to 'spam@exetel.com.au' in order to train the spam filter.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:57 am

The Ironport filters are as good as you'll get. The main technique used in email filters depends on statistical probability as described by Bayes' Theorem. The filter needs to be "trained" to calculate probability. Spammers know that, and the intelligent ones keep trying to defeat the filter. Just retrain again, and their latest trick gets nullified. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_spam_filtering.

A benefit of using an ISP filter common to many users rather than one just on your own machine is the variety and quantity of garbage that becomes useful training fodder.

arachnologist

Post by arachnologist » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:59 am

Dazzled wrote:The Ironport filters are as good as you'll get. The main technique used in email filters depends on statistical probability as described by Bayes' Theorem. The filter needs to be "trained" to calculate probability. Spammers know that, and the intelligent ones keep trying to defeat the filter. Just retrain again, and their latest trick gets nullified.
Ironport is not based on Bayesian filtering. Instead, IronPort AntiSpam uses SenderBase email reputation service with complicated system of white- and blacklists of IP addresses. So even the worst spam from whitelisted IPs goes through and most innocent emails originated from blacklisted IPs are filtered out.
http://www.senderbase.org

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks for the info. My understanding was that Ironport was a mixture of IP reputation filters (Senderbase), and Bayesian statistical analysis of the text, as per http://www.clearview.co.uk/ironport_main.htm