Becoming a Voip customer with Exetel

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Becoming a Voip customer with Exetel

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:51 pm

Oops! Sorry, I'm confusing you with another user. The V210P ports are labelled the same as the Minitar, so that part is common. You only need the ethernet cable between the router and Netcomm WAN to register, ie computer talking to the internet. It will register without a phone. I had suspected you may have had the handset wrong, and may not have heard the dial tone.

At factory default the ATA address 192.168.22.1 was out of range of the Netgear (the 22 is invisible), so you configured it via the LAN port at the default address. You also configured the ATA as a DHCP client, so that when rebooted, it leased a new in-range address 192.168.0.5 from the router. which can now pass traffic to/from it. You can now remove the computer-to-ATA cable and henceforth use the router supplied network address. If you close all devices on your network except the ATA, and reboot it, it will get the first address in the range, and keep it. There is provision for a static IP under the ATA WAN screen if needed.

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:08 pm

As yet my modem/router has been on the whole time during this Voip configuration. Do you suggest that I switch it off and switch it back on? Will I lose it's settings? and have to re configure it?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:24 pm

If you have pressed the save and reboot button on the Netcomm, it will preserve the configuration. A modem reboot should not hurt anything. The ATA now has a valid address and you should be able to see it at that address in your normal use of the computer..

A Netcomm reboot with nothing else connected could bring the ATA address down to a lower number - it might go down to x.x.x.2 if it is in the first LAN socket. Some modems allocate ethernet addresses in port order.

PS: If you have all cables correct, and the ATA has a LAN address, you could telephone support to look at the ATA config remotely. They will instruct you on opening up your router and closing it afterwards. Keep Windows machines off line while it happens, they are vulnerable.

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:35 pm

How do I change the password? The password they gave me is long and doesn't make sense to me.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:08 pm

The VoIP password is a near random sequence and is set by Exetel. It is needed for the ATA to log into Exetel, and needs to be very secure, as it protects your account from thieves. Only Exetel can allocate another.

You can alter an admin modem password at will.

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:02 pm

We're in ! You were correct Dazzled. I had the 2 cables in the wrong position. So when I swapped them. It worked! Thanks for that.

But I'm totally baffled about the port forwarding to which I've done nothing. Do you think my modem (Netgear DGN2200) has it set up already? In reality, all I did was hook up the ATA and follow the set-up guide. I've done no disabling of firewall or port forwarding or NAT. I've noticed that other customers on the forum have gone to great lengths to enable these things. So what is different about my set up? Why is voip on my phone working without the need to enable port forwarding ?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Right, now we are cooking.... If you ring out, it should be working.

To understand port forwarding, we need to get geeky. Using the PSTN phone or a mobile, try to ring your DID. It will either ring out or go to voicemail, depending on your user facility settings. You shouldn't hear your phone ring and answer the call.

The explanation is that the Linux firewall that sits inside your modem router is configured to drop without any response a signal that comes in, except when that particular connection state is RELATED or ESTABLISHED. In other words, it kills uninvited signals stone dead, and so protects you from unwanted intruders.

When a VoIP call comes in there are uninvited packets. Without port forwarding the ATA never knows, and nothing happens at the phone.

With router forwarding, a small firewall breach is made and the INVITE gets through and the ATA acknowledges it to the Exetel server and rings your phone. When you answer the server tells the caller, and a direct internet connection is made. The ATA then translates your voice to digital packets and sends/receives them on a direct connection. SIP is a complex, but conceptually simple means of making VoIP telephony pass firewalls.

Forwarding isn't a serious security breach because the ATA won't let itself be hacked on that port, and forwarding keeps the breach confined to only the ATA. An alternative easier trick is to open a DMZ to the ATA. In that case all ports are forwarded, and the ATA's default config will deny any attempt at outside manipulation. If an intruder should probe your modem, all that will be revealed is that you have an ATA waiting for VoIP. Never leave an ATA with external admin enabled.

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:16 pm

I just rang my DID from my mobile. It did ring. I picked it up but I couldn't speak as it was still ringing while I held the handset and didn't stop until I terminated the call. Are you saying because I don't have port forwarding, I won't be able to have other people ring me on DID? Even if I wanted to do port forwarding on the DGN2200 it is not a feature on the menu, it does have Wireless Repeating - is that the same? It also has SIP ALG, whatever that means?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:38 pm

The router killed part of that Invite. That's what will happen on inward calls to the DID if the router isn't changed. If you only call out it won't matter much. Even so, I'd fix it.

I just looked up the manual for the N300 wireless DGN2200. Netgear calls port forwarding "Inbound Rules", page 44. UDP 5060 only. The alternative, DMZ is on page 73. SIP ALG is a funny thing. On some makes it helps; on some others it hinders. Reverse the default setting only when proved necessary.

msp

Post by msp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 am

I agree that the port forwarding should be fixed which will then allow calls to come through on my DID. By the way, thanks Dazzled for looking up the netgear guide. I have that manual but on my DGN2200B, there is no provision for port forwarding or inbound rules or anything similar. I can see where the headings used to be but they have been omitted on this latest brand. Unless, it can be done in another way? It's really weird. But there is a WAN setup that has "disable PortScan and Dos Protection", which I was thinking of checking. In that way, it will not block out any ports? There's also a plug-n-play setup with a Port Map table that has beginning Port set to 65388 and end port set to 65388 and an ip address of 192.168.0.3. I was thinking of changing it to 5060 but I'm hesitant to alter anything that may interfere with fuctionality. What do you think?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:20 am

There are other Netgear interfaces. Does yours have a dark blue side bar? If so, select Basic Settings and select the port forward button. Add Custom service at the foot of the page will let you enter: Any name you fancy, port 5060, UDP to the IP.

Otherwise, if your manual matches mine, look at Firewall Rules. Under Inbound Services, is there an Add button?

Don't touch those other things you have mentioned.

msp

Post by msp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:47 am

On the left hand side of the set up, it has a dark blue or dark purple column with numerous headings.In basic settings there is no port/f or add customer service. It's as if this netgear won't allow you to do it. But, I think there are ways of getting around it. I have checked all the side panels. No firewall rules or inbound. Very strange. The only thing that comes close to it is in the WAN setup or the Univ Plug N Play section.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Perhaps like this - http://screenshots.portforward.com/rout ... _Rules.htm?

This site is devoted to port forwarding, although there is no Exetel SIP specifically mentioned. You can look up another VoIP provider to get the general idea. Just use the correct Exetel values.

msp

Post by msp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:45 pm

The site that you've given me, I have viewed several times. I understand it and would do it, if my router had those settings. However, I must tell you Dazzled, that I just got a call through my Voip! We trialled it through someone else's phone. How do you explain that. Is it suppose to go through without p/forward?? Maybe with this DGN2200 router, the p/forward has been in built into it!! I 'm only hazarding guesses here. I don't understand it. But the main thing is I'm able to make voip calls and receive voip calls - all without any port/forwarding on my part.

Just to let you see what my setup guide did have on the left hand side, I did a copy and paste and put it into your pm.
Thanks Dazzled.

msp

Post by msp » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:52 pm

Used my voip to make a call tonight but only spoke for about a minute or maybe less when the line became dead. Caller said they could hear me but I couldn't hear them. I rang someone else and the same thing happened. Any ideas?