Super slow speeds

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Super slow speeds

Post by Dazzled » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Unfortunately Windows tracerts don't help much. The "timed out" message only means a reply wasn't received in 4 secs. A great many routers and servers will never ever reply to Windows tracerts. The times increase greatly on these round the world trips.

I'm keeping my eye on those users who are experimenting with other than μtorrent on Windows. There is nothing wrong with that very widely used client, but it seems odd that this combination appears to be getting so much grief. The previous cache may have been concealing it.

Benedryn

Post by Benedryn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Hm, I see. I've been trying to get Deluge 1.3.5 running atm (Windows XP x64) but it's not working. Can't connect to many peers (can barely stay connected to 5-15 peers on a 4000:600 seed:peer torrent), those that do connect download really slow. Basically the same problem with uTorrent atm but even worse. A torrent like this'd previously go from 0 to 200+ KB/s within the first 5 sec (peers connected would max out also), and I haven't changed any software settings/hardware. The most annoying thing about Deluge though (maybe it's just a problem with the current version) is it hangs around after I've closed it and continues hammering the router (CTRL+ALT+DEL closing doesn't work).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Sounds like you didn't stop the Deluge daemon. Deluge has two fairly independent parts. Some setup help is at http://www.techsupportalert.com/optimizing-deluge-speed. I spoke to a friend this morning who occasionally runs Deluge on Windows, and that test run was near line speed.

Several Whirlpoolers are trying Transmission. This normally runs on Linux, but they might be running a private Windows port: Transmission-Qt Win http://sourceforge.net/projects/trqtw/

Meanwhile earlier this evening I ran rtorrent, the terminal based Linux client, getting the usual test file, and maxxed out as previously. This is in some ways the ultimate app - you control everything with keystrokes and a resource file, but it isn't intuitive. It is a front end for libtorrent. Deluge is a Python script to do the same thing with a familiar GUI.

Benedryn

Post by Benedryn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:48 pm

I'll reinstall it later to fiddle with it. My Deluge setup was on par with the guide's (uTorrent optimization is surprisingly similar), with the exception of the incoming/outgoing ports (used 2 different ports, wouldn't work at all when they all shared the same one; ie: 0 connected peers). Didn't know Transmission had a Windows version, will have to check that out.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:58 pm

There seems to be a move to Transmission on Windows developing. Transmission, Deluge, etc, that are being trialled by many are originally Linux graphic applications. Some, like Deluge, are Python scripts that make use of the Gnome graphics environment. The apps themselves are quite compact in Linux fashion, but the Windows ports may have to install a lot extra to bring the environment with them. My own preference is for the simple full-featured Deluge port with plug-ins.

For the geeks out there there is also a port of the non-GUI rtorrent. Even this when ported grows - the Linux executable is less than 1 MB, while Windows rtorrent.exe grows to 50 MB, and there are a string of DLLs. There is a something to be said for trialling this client though, if you find it important to reduce an alien graphics overhead - http://rtwi.jmk.hu/wiki/rTorrentOnWindows. If you don't run Cygwin you can skip down the page for a precompiled .7z archive. There are no drop-down config menus - you edit a resource file. Other functions use key strokes. Summary at http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/wiki/RTorrentUserGuide. The usual router stuff applies.

Benedryn

Post by Benedryn » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Can't use Linux BT clients. When I went to bed yesterday uTorrent's speed was still wonky, but when I woke up it'd auto-magically fixed itself. Speed's back to normal, hoorah! You were right about the tracert thing, still getting the same results there.

Benedryn

Post by Benedryn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:11 am

Speeds have been back to terrible again for the past few days. Tried Deluge and Transmission, both have the same result as uTorrent (even worse, actually). Whatever this is, it's not on my end.

Benedryn

Post by Benedryn » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Speed's back up again, kind of. Having trouble connecting to peers again (set to 25 per torrent max, but can barely manage single digits). A few that do connect seem to download at normal speeds (above 1 KB/s, double-digits).

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:22 am

Nearing a week now and I've noticed it is not just P2P going slow. Here's a few pictures taken this morning
Exetel speedtest performed at 0813 on 30042012.jpg
Exetel speedtest performed at 0813 on 30042012.jpg (14 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
Exetel speedtest performed at 0811 on 30042012.jpg
Exetel speedtest performed at 0811 on 30042012.jpg (13.86 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
Exetel speedtest performed at 0810 on 30042012.jpg
Exetel speedtest performed at 0810 on 30042012.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
Normal web browsing is not what it used to be.

stevecJ
Exetel Staff

Post by stevecJ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:11 am

Benedryn wrote:Speed's back up again, kind of. Having trouble connecting to peers again (set to 25 per torrent max, but can barely manage single digits). A few that do connect seem to download at normal speeds (above 1 KB/s, double-digits).
Hi,

I have responded to your other post viewtopic.php?f=284&t=39384&p=300165#p300165
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

stevecJ
Exetel Staff

Post by stevecJ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:25 am

Cerberus wrote:Nearing a week now and I've noticed it is not just P2P going slow. Here's a few pictures taken this morning
Hi,

I have done a line test on your connection and it doesn't show any issues with the line and the download/upload usage appears to be high as well.

In order to investigate this further could you please close all the download applications (Make sure that the downloads/uploads are stopped) and conduct another speed test via http://www.exetel.com.au/speed.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:37 am

stevecJ wrote:
Cerberus wrote:Nearing a week now and I've noticed it is not just P2P going slow. Here's a few pictures taken this morning
Hi,

I have done a line test on your connection and it doesn't show any issues with the line and the download/upload usage appears to be high as well.

In order to investigate this further could you please close all the download applications (Make sure that the downloads/uploads are stopped) and conduct another speed test via http://www.exetel.com.au/speed.
Yes I know, my connection dropped out and then reconnected unexpectedly. speedtests show it is not back up to around 10mbps, although the P2P is still not what it used to be, it's just above the minimum standard so I suppose that's it for your investigation until it drops down again?

stevecJ
Exetel Staff

Post by stevecJ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 am

Cerberus wrote:
Yes I know, my connection dropped out and then reconnected unexpectedly. speedtests show it is not back up to around 10mbps, although the P2P is still not what it used to be, it's just above the minimum standard so I suppose that's it for your investigation until it drops down again?
Since there is no indications of any line issues according to the line test and the speeds are back to normal, further investigations are not required :)

If this happens again, it's best to drop an email to 'residentialsupport@exetel.com.au' with the speed test results and some ping test results.

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Can anyone from Exetel comment on this?

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... &p=15#r300

shoner
Exetel Staff

Post by shoner » Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 am

Cerberus wrote:Can anyone from Exetel comment on this?

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... &p=15#r300
The link you have provided is in reference to slow p2p speeds. Since the Exetel P2P caching severs were decommissioned, those who use p2p will be directly downloading from the source or from google cache. Hence there is nothing that can be done from Exetel's end. We can confirm that we do not prioritise or filter out any p2p packets. However, if you are facing speed issues with your service overall, then we could investigate.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal