Slow as P2P

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
monners

Slow as P2P

Post by monners » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Why has p2p become so slow with exetel?

nuranj
Exetel Staff

Re: Slow as P2P

Post by nuranj » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Please kindly send an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with your service details in order to investigate this issue further.

Normally P2P should not be affected at all.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:15 am

It hasn't. See also viewtopic.php?f=284&t=39328 and viewtopic.php?f=284&t=39333

The end of caching has revealed a few problems for some, and μTorrent users on Windows in particular, to go by another forum. I've been torrenting at peak times frequently since the issue was raised and cannot duplicate any of the issues - but it has not been on a Windows box, and that seems to be significant. I've been using Deluge, Transmission, rtorrent and the Opera browser for testing. None of these have started well and slowed down later as reported elsewhere.

Torrent packets are easily detected and it is widely publicised that some overseas telcos limit them.

monners

Post by monners » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:50 am

I have just emailed residential support as requested, will let you know what goes on :)

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:05 am

I download a few popular torrents and I have not noticed a speed drop since the change.

chronographer

Post by chronographer » Thu May 17, 2012 10:23 am

[quote]I download a few popular torrents and I have not noticed a speed drop since the change.[/quote]

I have downloaded a few popular torrents and I [b]have [/b]noticed a change.

Honestly, James, I am considering moving to a different ISP due to this. About a month ago, roughly coincident with the turning off of p2p caches, my torrent speeds dropped fro ma max of 1.2 mbps down to a max of 20 kbps. I have tweaked, I thought it might be my router, I changed torrent clients. All to no avail. Speeds were a little different this week, but still not up to where they were.

Now, I can do a speedtest and get great speeds. So it isn't the connection. it is something to do with p2p being treated different. If you let me know what tests I can do I can try to work it out...

A

shoner

Post by shoner » Thu May 17, 2012 1:13 pm

chronographer wrote: Now, I can do a speedtest and get great speeds. So it isn't the connection. it is something to do with p2p being treated different. If you let me know what tests I can do I can try to work it out...
Exetel does not treat any type of packet differently. you feel a difference because you are now either downloading directly from the source or from google cache. Hence a lot of other factors like number of seeder, leeches upload speeds from the source will now have a direct effect on your torrent speed.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu May 17, 2012 3:09 pm

Torrent client and router setup needs to be carefully optimised. If that's the case this torrent: http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu ... so.torrent is so massively supported you should be able to max out your line very quickly. There is a useful grouping of guides at http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... -speed.htm. My personal choice is the Deluge guide at http://www.techsupportalert.com/optimizing-deluge-speed (Deluge is an exceptionally well constructed graphic torrent client; it's actually a Python script)

You need to test with a torrent like this, known to be a quick one.

People are naturally coy about their downloads on another forum, but I suspect the combination of torrent filtering by some US ISPs and the legal campaigns by US copyright holders are starting to limit participation in many multimedia files.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu May 17, 2012 6:31 pm

chronographer wrote:
I download a few popular torrents and I have not noticed a speed drop since the change.
I have downloaded a few popular torrents and I have noticed a change.

Honestly, James, I am considering moving to a different ISP due to this. About a month ago, roughly coincident with the turning off of p2p caches, my torrent speeds dropped fro ma max of 1.2 mbps down to a max of 20 kbps. I have tweaked, I thought it might be my router, I changed torrent clients. All to no avail. Speeds were a little different this week, but still not up to where they were.

Now, I can do a speedtest and get great speeds. So it isn't the connection. it is something to do with p2p being treated different. If you let me know what tests I can do I can try to work it out...

A
Of course p2p will be a little slower without the caches, but on the whole my torrent speeds are almost as good, i still manage to download on my 8Mbps line at around 500kbps, and on my 15Mbps line at a little over 1100kbps.

It is certainly strange though, that your speeds have dropped to 20kbps, and i can personally assure you that Exetel does not treat torrent traffic any different within our core network, to other traffic.

chronographer

Post by chronographer » Fri May 18, 2012 8:37 pm

[quote]download a few popular torrents and I have not noticed a speed drop since the change.
[/quote]
I have downloaded a few popular torrents and I [b]have [/b]noticed a change.

[quote]Of course p2p will be a little slower without the caches, but on the whole my torrent speeds are almost as good, i still manage to download on my 8Mbps line at around 500kbps, and on my 15Mbps line at a little over 1100kbps.

It is certainly strange though, that your speeds have dropped to 20kbps, and i can personally assure you that Exetel does not treat torrent traffic any different within our core network, to other traffic.[/quote]

Ok, so I can get 50 kbps on a normal torrent.

On Ubuntu, I tested it on a clean slate. Nothing much else running. Left it going for a bit, and I can get 166 kbps. Image is below.

http://imgur.com/qSLtg

It is very frustrating. I have always been able to max my connection with torrents, even before the cache was turned on. I've been with Exetel for about 7 years, with only a brief break, and this is enough to make me consider alternatives.

(sorry about my inability to do quote tags...)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri May 18, 2012 9:41 pm

chronographer,I think the quote tags are playing up - I'll have a look again later and see if I can fix it.

I resumed the Ubuntu iso again, and maxed the line out. One Russian was giving me 384 kB/s, and there were a couple of very quick US connections as well, so you can see why these reports mystify me. I logged the network interface at the same time, and typically had 9 connections transferring data at a given second. I also logged the router (a Dynalink at the moment), and the conntrack system was running well in capacity. I left the ports at standard 6881-6889.

The slow problem with the cache gone is wide spread enough to be very real, but it's just too hard to see what is going on. Is anyone in trouble who doesn't use Windows (I haven't read of any)? Are the torrent clients configured correctly, particularly for upload speed? Are the routers configured? In the other thread on this localhost worked through his client config, and was able to max out on the Ubuntu torrent.

For another capacity test, try Libre Office - torrent files at http://www.libreoffice.org/download/. If you pick up the Australian mirror server at AARNet (local peer discovery) you should really be cooking with gas.

chronographer

Post by chronographer » Sun May 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi Dazzled.

I am on OSX. I tried utorrent and transmission. Both experienced similar speeds. My router settings didn't change. My torrent settings I messed with, changing max n peers per torrent and globally. Made it large (>100) and small (<20) and no great change. I have always limited my upload speed to ~20 kbps, as I have found that this impacts my browsing experience the most. (I.e., keeping that low leads to negligible impact on browsing.)

Here's a screenshot of peers using the open office torrent. I get only 100 kbps with this torrent: http://imgur.com/6kVyo

Just to reiterate. My torrent client has been configured. Port forwarding has been tried in a static sense, and in the dynamic sense (Upnp or whatever). I checked my router a lot. Not much to change there... I haven't tried another OS, but could do so if you like.

ANyhow. I'm glad you're looking into it. Let me know what I can do to give you more info. Cheers.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Righto. I just started an old Athlon box and collected the same Libre Office MacOS torrent you used for your test. The client was an old version of Deluge, 0.5.8, (1.3.5 is current) running on a 4 year old Linux. This box doesn't even have a swap partition. I'm definitely not throwing my best hardware at it. My ADSL2 service is Optus based, a moderate distance from the exchange - the line will max out at a touch over 900kB/s. Everything else on my LAN was off-line.

The router is port forwarded. I used standard ports 6881 to 6889, despite blacklisting of these in some places overseas. Encryption was enabled both in and out. DHT was on, so was PeX and Local Peer Discovery. Up speed was limited to 72 kB/s, max 5 upload slots. 400 max connections were permitted (otherwise the router baulks). Everything else was left to the client to handle. This isn't a tightly tuned config, but it'll do for a demo.

So what happened? I got into the 900s kB/s range at times, but nearly always was well over 800 kB/s. The local AARnet mirror got on board at over 200 kB/s, and supplied the bulk of the download.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 20, 2012 10:28 pm

It's past 10pm and I thought I'd have another crack at Libre Office for Mac on the old machine. I resumed the download. It had only been running for a while (now 40 MB) and was now building up. I monitored the ethernet port. I took a screenshot at that point. It kept on building up, to max the line. Here is the captured window, with iftop output. The connections are in traffic order, and are dominated by mirrors, one of them in Vietnam (odd place for the English version?). The 3rd column from the right shows traffic in each direction over the last 2 seconds. I suggested this particular torrent family because of the preponderance of fast servers. These should be quickies.
Attachments
Screenshot-7.png
Screenshot-7.png (80.03 KiB) Viewed 1952 times

cstone79

Post by cstone79 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:42 pm

I am experiencing same slow down on P2P. I have been using uTorrent since ver1.7 and am now on ver3.1.3 and had no problems maxing out my download until a few weeks ago. I tried changing settings according suggestions posted here and on other sites and also installed older uTorrent versions but did not improve my dload speed.

However i have achieved a significant improvement using the latest Deluge ver1.3.5 with its default settings. To test dload speed i have been using "ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent" cos it has excellent seed/peer ratio and max my dload at around 700kb/s in under 30 secs using Deluge. In uTorrent it settles at around 100kb/s in 2-3 mins. I have done this test a number of times over the last 3 days and at various times during the day and result is always similar to as describe above.
I have also tested a number other random torent files and whilst they dont reach max dload speed due to various sources and seed/peer ratios they always dload faster in Deluge.

So until the ISPs problem is fixed i suggest give Deluge a try.