Slow as P2P

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
shoner

Re: Slow as P2P

Post by shoner » Mon May 21, 2012 1:45 pm

cstone79 wrote:I am experiencing same slow down on P2P. I have been using uTorrent since ver1.7 and am now on ver3.1.3 and had no problems maxing out my download until a few weeks ago. I tried changing settings according suggestions posted here and on other sites and also installed older uTorrent versions but did not improve my dload speed.

However i have achieved a significant improvement using the latest Deluge ver1.3.5 with its default settings. To test dload speed i have been using "ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent" cos it has excellent seed/peer ratio and max my dload at around 700kb/s in under 30 secs using Deluge. In uTorrent it settles at around 100kb/s in 2-3 mins. I have done this test a number of times over the last 3 days and at various times during the day and result is always similar to as describe above.
I have also tested a number other random torent files and whilst they dont reach max dload speed due to various sources and seed/peer ratios they always dload faster in Deluge.

So until the ISPs problem is fixed i suggest give Deluge a try.
Your findings with Deluge ver1.3.5 seems to have given you some positive results. Since we no longer cache p2p, we can confirm that there is no issue related to p2p traffic within our network.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon May 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks for the report, cstone79. I suspect that coming from a Linux origin, Deluge on any platform presents a smaller target than a major Windows-only torrent client to some alleged overseas packet filters. That aside, it is well set up by default, and with a little extra config can do better. I put up a help link earlier in this thread for that. Router forwarding and upload speed are very important. Take a peek at http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/User ... thTweaking for some other comments.

chronographer

Post by chronographer » Mon May 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Just to update on my status again.

I'm on a telstra wholesale connection.
I'm on OSX, using the latest uTorrent, and also have tried Tramsmission.
I've enabled peer exchange, and have around 200 connections available. From the screenshot above it seems I am missing local peers?
As per the fellow above. Slow speeds started around 3/4 weeks ago.

EDIT: by the way. deluge is not an option for me. its osx support is limited. I couldn't get it to run...

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Mon May 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Slow speeds started around 3/4 weeks ago.
I believe you are referring the P2P. As my colleague confirmed in the earlier post we do not treat P2P traffic differently. However, we no longer hold the P2P cache.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 pm

It's been stated several times in this and the other P2P thread. There is no Exetel filter being applied.

When the cache ceased, a number of customers experienced slowdowns, mainly μTorrent users, but not exclusively. Other users have not been inconvenienced at all. A report was posted elsewhere that μTorrent packets are sometimes filtered, but not in Australia - whether it's true I don't know. I would think that targetting all torrents is easier.

In any case, torrent speed is dependent on configuration, and the cache may have disguised this. I am coming round to think that users should be studying their configs, routers, and networking.

Chronographer, OSX doesn't have the choice the others have. Deluge is fiddly with Macports; http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/MacOSX. Transmission might be better for you and worth looking at - http://www.transmissionbt.com/.

chronographer

Post by chronographer » Mon May 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Oh, dear ShaminG. Please don't just repeat the same line. I know you don't shape things. I know you shut down the p2p cache. RESTATING THOSE THINGS IS NOT HELPING!

Anyhow. On one computer I installed deluge and it instantly hit 1.2 mbps on the ubuntu torrent... So, it is clear that it is a torrent protocol thing... Maybe utorrent is blocked, I don't know.

My problem now is that my media-centre is an old x86 mac mini and I can't get x86 deluge running... So I'm trying to install macports (which requires xcode, which is huge) and I'll update here on my progress.

Dazzled. Deluge is good on 64 bit osx. Not 32 bit... And I tried Transmission, xTorrent, BitRocket, and all failed to achieve good speeds. It's a bugger, cause the uTorrent webUI is quite nice. I've studied my router, config and networking enough. I don't think it is that... Not sure what it can be, but I think software will solve it. I guess I could try Linux for a bit ;-).

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Mon May 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Oh, dear ShaminG. Please don't just repeat the same line. I know you don't shape things. I know you shut down the p2p cache. RESTATING THOSE THINGS IS NOT HELPING!
I apologize if you have felt that way, what I needed to emphasize was that no change done from the network end 3/4 weeks ago :)

chronographer

Post by chronographer » Tue May 22, 2012 7:47 am

[quote="ShaminG"][quote]Oh, dear ShaminG. Please don't just repeat the same line. I know you don't shape things. I know you shut down the p2p cache. RESTATING THOSE THINGS IS NOT HELPING![/quote]
I apologize if you have felt that way, what I needed to emphasize was that no change done from the network end 3/4 weeks ago :)[/quote]

Ah, I'm sorry I got so grumpy too! But I have received the form response several times in email and see it through these forums... It gets a little old =). Anyhow, onward with my quest for an alternative client.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Tue May 22, 2012 12:54 pm

chronographer wrote: Ah, I'm sorry I got so grumpy too! But I have received the form response several times in email and see it through these forums... It gets a little old =). Anyhow, onward with my quest for an alternative client.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you and also for the fact that we cannot give you a better solution to your problem. anyhow let us know how your quest for the alternative client goes :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

cstone79

Post by cstone79 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:27 pm

chronographer wrote:Oh, dear ShaminG. Please don't just repeat the same line. I know you don't shape things. I know you shut down the p2p cache. RESTATING THOSE THINGS IS NOT HELPING!
I can empathise with Chronographer’s comment regarding Exetel staff’s repetitive comments on this post but I am not sure what else their staff can say if Exetel’s position is that there is nothing wrong or changed regarding P2P service (apart from close of P2P cache).

In addition to my earlier post I would like to add that I have been able to compare the performance of P2P at another location/exchange from a different ISP and using uTorrent 3.1.3. The other location is on an ADSL2+ plan with Internode on their Agile Dslam and I am on Exetels TCV20-50 plan which goes through Telstra gear on my exchange, both using Windows7 64bit on Dell XPS 8300 Pcs. We achieve a similar DSL sync speed at both sites of around 6Mbits dload/0.8Mbits upload.

I can report that using uTorrent 3.1.3 with the same torrent files, Ubantu test torrent (ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent) and other various torrents, they dload “normally” from Internode (by which I mean how I would expect them to perform given seed/peer ratios). Ubantu test file maxing out dload at around 700kb/s and the other random torrents dloading faster from Internode compared to what I get through my Exetel service(Ubantu around 100kb/s). Prior to the P2P slow down that started a few weeks ago I have also observed torrent file dload performance at both locations and the performance was similar i.e. “normal” (meaning exact same torrents on both sites that had good seed/peers would max out dload at both sites).

As I mentioned in my earlier post I have achieved an improvement in P2P dload speed with latest Deluge when compared to the woeful performance with Utorrent but still not got back to speeds I achieved prior to the slowdown. I have also tried Vuze 4.7.0.2 and interestingly it performs better than Deluge on some torrents whilst both are always better than uTorrent, all configured with same settings i.e. dload speed, upload speed, no. of slots, no. of connections etc.

Whilst Exetel say there is no problem with their P2P service the circumstantial evidence, from my own experience and from posts here and on the Whirlpool forum, indicate it’s obvious that something has changed somewhere causing a P2P slow down problem for a number of Exetel customers.

So as I see it my options are to either accept the service from Exetel as it is and try to get as best a compromise performance as I can (until it miraculously gets back to what it was) using alternatives to uTorrent such as Deluge/Vuze or churn to another ISP.

Good luck to all who are in the same slow P2P boat.

chronographer

Post by chronographer » Thu May 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Well. I'm going to consider changing the OS on my media-centre. Or my ISP...

I cannot install Deluge on my media-centre. I tried the .app and also macports. Both failed. (One crashes, the other fails to compile libraster-torrent).

Oh well.

thelazysa

Post by thelazysa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:21 pm

Can anyone please explain the concept of the Torrent cache?

Thankyou.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:35 pm

In a nutshell, bit torrent traffic was being intercepted and small file fragments were saved for a little while. If the fragment was popular, and so in the cached storage, a request for it would be invisibly answered from the cache, bypassing yet another trip round the world for that same bit. Unpopular stuff simply dropped off the cache. It was a kind of buffer for P2P traffic. There is more info in the 2007 announcement at viewtopic.php?t=24143.

A side effect was that less than ideally configured P2P setups gained surprisingly good performance if the sought after material was cached.

Back in 2007 Steve Waddington blogged about the early implementation at http://steve.blogs.exetel.com.au/index. ... ts-II.html. The clients used then seem a bit quaint now.

thelazysa

Post by thelazysa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Many thanks, very informative; Didn't even know i was using it :shock: worked so well. What was the motivation to switch it off, has Exetel seen an increase in off-net traffic?

Diji1

Post by Diji1 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:13 pm

So basically the answer to user issues reported here and over at Whirlpool is:

"We're not going to fix the issue - use a different Bittorrent client"

If you guys don't fix this by mid month I'm changing to TPG. I expect an ISP to fix these things - if it's your suppliers then fix it. Or else maybe you don't want me.

My Bittorrent speeds have been pathetic - 20 kB/s if I'm lucky, usually less. Before you ask: I've been using Bittorrent for years, I'm downloading from swarms with huge SLRs and multiple high speed peers which used my entire bandwidth previously.

Recently my line was looked at to diagnose an issue which turned out to be an issue with my router and not Exetels responsibility. However since then I've had absolutely terrible Bittorrent speeds so something changed. You need to fix it.