PHP memory limits

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
jpurssey

PHP memory limits

Post by jpurssey » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:56 pm

I am trying out Tiki Wiki in my free webspace to see if it provides the functionality needed by a voluntary organisation.
The installation has mostly been straightforward but some pages will not load. During the installation there was a message that PHP memory was limited to 48M

The Tiki Wiki site gives the requirements as:

Note on PHP Memory Limits:
The default memory_limit in a standard PHP 5.3 installation is 128M, and this should be fine for the vast majority of Tiki installations. Some web hosts install PHP with a lower default. Although Tiki may appear to install successfully, you will continually face issues with pages failing to load and system errors.

To review your PHP Memory Limits, access http://www.example.com/tiki-phpinfo.php and review the following values:

max_execution_time = 60 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 60 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
memory_limit = 128M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume

For some shared webhosts, these values may not be user-configurable and you may need to request changes from your webhost, whereas in other hosts you are allowed to fine tune this settings for your needs. You can try uncommenting the corresponding lines in the .htaccess file at your tiki root folder on the server, like:

# increase memory
php_value memory_limit 128M

# increase execution time...
php_value max_execution_time 90

Is it possible to make these changes, or to have the PHP memory limits increased?
John

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Re: PHP memory limits

Post by stevecJ » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:19 pm

jpurssey wrote:I am trying out Tiki Wiki in my free webspace to see if it provides the functionality needed by a voluntary organisation.
The installation has mostly been straightforward but some pages will not load. During the installation there was a message that PHP memory was limited to 48M

The Tiki Wiki site gives the requirements as:

Note on PHP Memory Limits:
The default memory_limit in a standard PHP 5.3 installation is 128M, and this should be fine for the vast majority of Tiki installations. Some web hosts install PHP with a lower default. Although Tiki may appear to install successfully, you will continually face issues with pages failing to load and system errors.

To review your PHP Memory Limits, access http://www.example.com/tiki-phpinfo.php and review the following values:

max_execution_time = 60 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 60 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
memory_limit = 128M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume

For some shared webhosts, these values may not be user-configurable and you may need to request changes from your webhost, whereas in other hosts you are allowed to fine tune this settings for your needs. You can try uncommenting the corresponding lines in the .htaccess file at your tiki root folder on the server, like:

# increase memory
php_value memory_limit 128M

# increase execution time...
php_value max_execution_time 90

Is it possible to make these changes, or to have the PHP memory limits increased?
Hi,

I have passed this to the sys admins and we'll provide you an update soon.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

jpurssey

Post by jpurssey » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks.
John

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi,

According to the sys admins, we are unable to increase that much value of PHP memory limit in our current setup. :(
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

jpurssey

Post by jpurssey » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:58 am

Thanks Steve.

I will have to abandon the trial of Tiki Wiki here and look for another cheap/free hosting service. I can't find the PHP memory limits stated in the paid hosting description.

I suppose I may as well drop the database if I need the storage space. Is there a facility that shows how space the webspace uses. I think the Tiki Wiki set up could have used close to 100Mbytes.

I have been trying out PMWiki in the meantime and that has been working well, though the markup language is idiosyncratic. It requires only about 30MB of PHP and does not use the MySQL DB.

I see that Exetel uses mediawiki for its own wiki. I think mediawiki defaults to 50MB PHP memory usage. Can this run in the 40Mb PHP memory provided for the free web space?
John

lasithah
Exetel Staff

Post by lasithah » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:45 am

jpurssey wrote:Thanks Steve.

I will have to abandon the trial of Tiki Wiki here and look for another cheap/free hosting service. I can't find the PHP memory limits stated in the paid hosting description.

I suppose I may as well drop the database if I need the storage space. Is there a facility that shows how space the webspace uses. I think the Tiki Wiki set up could have used close to 100Mbytes.

I have been trying out PMWiki in the meantime and that has been working well, though the markup language is idiosyncratic. It requires only about 30MB of PHP and does not use the MySQL DB.

I see that Exetel uses mediawiki for its own wiki. I think mediawiki defaults to 50MB PHP memory usage. Can this run in the 40Mb PHP memory provided for the free web space?
Hi ,

Please check the installation requirements for mediawiki on http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:In ... quirements

hope it helps :)

jpurssey

Post by jpurssey » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:33 am

Thanks.

Under PHP requirements it states
memory_limit
MediaWiki needs sufficiently memory to work. The minimal limit should be something like 20 Mo, but if you want MediaWiki to work correctly, consider using at least 50 Mo.
So for Exetel's 40MB limit there is some uncertainty.

I am still in the mood to experiment, so I might try it out.
John

jpurssey

Post by jpurssey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:35 pm

Update.

I have been using mediawiki successfully since 2012.
I notice now that the php memory limit has been increased to 128Mb. I wonder how long ago that happened.
I won't be able to use TikiWiki as the current version takes over 200 Mbytes storage, and I have no inclination to use an earlier version that needs less storage to install. An increase in the storage allocated to 300Mbyte would be welcome. But SSL is becoming a necessity.
John

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:26 pm

jpurssey wrote:Update.

I have been using mediawiki successfully since 2012.
I notice now that the php memory limit has been increased to 128Mb. I wonder how long ago that happened.
I won't be able to use TikiWiki as the current version takes over 200 Mbytes storage, and I have no inclination to use an earlier version that needs less storage to install. An increase in the storage allocated to 300Mbyte would be welcome. But SSL is becoming a necessity.
Thank you for the update and I believe you have received the relevant information via the ticket 12633803. Since you have already replied to the email, system administrators will reply to you accordingly. For any further clarification on this, you may use the same email conversation.