How do you set the APN on iPhone5?

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
rigs

How do you set the APN on iPhone5?

Post by rigs » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:39 pm

How to Set APN on iPhone5.

It doesnt seem to allow manual settings. Just "Mobile Data" = On.

Cheers.

rigs

Re: How do you set the APN on iPhone5?

Post by rigs » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:00 pm

From what I have seen on the Net, it should automatically be the correct one, eg yesinternet.

Not keen on using an APN changer program if it is already correct.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Settings/General/Cellular/Cellular Data Network

rigs

Post by rigs » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Nope thats wrong, the iphone5 doesnt have Cellular as an option.

FYI I fixed it myself ...
I went to this site via Safari on my phone, selected 'Exetel (Optus)' and it sets the APN to "YESINTERNET"
www.unlockit.co.nz

Better to do this and be sure its set the right APN.

Cheers

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:05 pm

rigs wrote:Nope thats wrong, the iphone5 doesnt have Cellular as an option.

FYI I fixed it myself ...
I went to this site via Safari on my phone, selected 'Exetel (Optus)' and it sets the APN to "YESINTERNET"
http://www.unlockit.co.nz

Better to do this and be sure its set the right APN.

Cheers
it does have the option, whether you see it or not is dependent on what the carrier decides, guess Optus block this option, in which case anyway the APN is correct, there is no need to install a carrier profile yourself, installing your own carrier profile also means tethering is not an option (mentioning that in case that's something you want)

rigs

Post by rigs » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:56 am

Yes, I do need to tether.

Then Exetel should tell us that the APN is automatically set. On the correspondance I received from Exetel it was very clear I needed to be 100% certain I have the APN correct. How can I do that if Optus block the option? Perhaps Exetel should ammend the info they send out.

Now how do I get the tethering to work?

asankag
Exetel Staff

Post by asankag » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:48 am

Hi rigs,

You need to first enable tethering on your service to see the tethering option on your mobile. To enable tethering, login to the members facilities for your mobile and navigate to Mobile Broadband/Mobile -> Apple iPhone Tethering -> Scroll down and click enable.

Allow 30 minutes to 4hrs for the service to be provisioned. Restart you mobile and you should have the tethering option visible on your device.
---
Regards,
Asanka | L2 - VoIP Engineer

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:28 am

rigs wrote:
Now how do I get the tethering to work?
just uninstall the profile you added the go to Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings and reset, phone will reboot and reload the correct carrier profile, if you want to check you have the latest profile installed (there was one released after iOS6) go to Settings/General/About, just opening this menu will check and will prompt you to install the carrier bundle if you do not have the latest version, once this is done and the backend provisioning is setup you will be able to tether

the info provided about having the correct APN is confusing I'm sure but there are some account types where it is possible to use alternate APN's and the billing is different, yours is not one of those account types though so you're fine

rigs

Post by rigs » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:08 am

Cheers Guys,

Appreciate the info.
Will get on it now.

woodle

Post by woodle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 am

I started using tethering straight away without realising that I was supposed to "enable" it in the Members section (I've never had to before, and it was working anyway). What's the difference? Does it affect charging or something? I'm seeing $57 of data charges on the usage page but I'm well within my monthly limit.

And I still can't see my APN anywhere (iPhone 4, IOS6).

Meshal S
Exetel Staff

Post by Meshal S » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:57 am

Hi woodle,

Please note that with regards to the issue of Tethering, you will first need to log into your Wireless Broadband/Mobile Members Facility and click on "Apple iPhone Tethering" under "Mobile Broadband/Mobile" on the menu section on the left of your screen. You can then read the entire terms and conditions list, and applicable charges; note that this depends on the device you are using as well as the plan you are on. If you are using an iPhone, you are required to enable the Tethering service on the Members Facility.

With regards to your APNs not being visible, this applies to iPhones in general because they automatically pick the APN up from the network. If you wish to check the APN or manually configure it, you will need to consult Apple for more information.

I hope this helps 8)

woodle

Post by woodle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:00 am

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

You do NOT need to go into the Members Facility and enable tethering, it works as soon as your phone is ported, the same as every other carrier. I had no idea that I was supposed to "enable" it because it was already turned on. I did go in and "enable" it in the Members Facility this morning, but my question is do you get charged differently if you don't "enable" it in the Members Facility?

I ask because on the home page under "Mobile Meter" it says "This month's total is: $57.51", but I am well within my data usage (I was only ported last Friday).

When I first read the terms and conditions (when I applied for the service) I took the stuff about APN to simply mean that if you don't use the correct APN you will be charged for data, it won't be part of your plan. Reading the Tethering page in the Members Facility is extremely confusing.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:10 pm

woodle wrote:Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

You do NOT need to go into the Members Facility and enable tethering, it works as soon as your phone is ported, the same as every other carrier. I had no idea that I was supposed to "enable" it because it was already turned on. I did go in and "enable" it in the Members Facility this morning, but my question is do you get charged differently if you don't "enable" it in the Members Facility?

I ask because on the home page under "Mobile Meter" it says "This month's total is: $57.51", but I am well within my data usage (I was only ported last Friday).

When I first read the terms and conditions (when I applied for the service) I took the stuff about APN to simply mean that if you don't use the correct APN you will be charged for data, it won't be part of your plan. Reading the Tethering page in the Members Facility is extremely confusing.
Hi woodle,

Please PM me your mobile number so I can email you in detail to your inquiries.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:17 pm

KavindaS wrote:
woodle wrote:Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Hi woodle,

Please PM me your mobile number so I can email you in detail to your inquiries.
Received your PM and sent you an email to your nominated email address. For more information you may refer our website http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... N_Settings

JB35

Post by JB35 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:47 pm

I have tethering activate but still have no idea how to confirm that I have the correct APN.
From all the warning and t's & c's having the correct APN if very important.

Is there an way to check or should I assume that the network has sent itself up correctly?