Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Cindercharge

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by Cindercharge » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Agreed. Changed the MTU back to 1492 as requested by Exetel when the claim (again) went out that the issues had been resolved today (viewtopic.php?f=296&t=39797&p=302674#p302674)

However, recent localised results on an ADSL2 connection (Launceston South exchange) below have proven this issue not to be resolved...

Given that prior to 23rd Oct 2012 the download and latency figures were consistently on average 16.5 Mb/s and <50 ms respectively, well, there you go...
Attachments
20121103 Speed Test Notes.jpg
Speedtest.net Results 03 Nov 2011 1845
20121103 Speed Test Notes.jpg (36.06 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:50 am

Changed MTU to 1492 and cycled modem and router.
No where near fixed for me yet either. While it is heaps better than it was at this MTU setting its still far from consistent and still far from what I used to have. The best speedtest I got was 8mb/s line speed and 1MB/s download speed and a ping time 61ms that was with speedtest.net and a hobart internode server. More often than not the speedtests are not much better than yesterday at around 50KB/s which you can only just browse with. I try on both ozspeedtest.com and speedtest.net.
My modem is also syncing at a slower speed than it was on 1400. When backhaul was Telstra it used to reliably sync at 22-24mb/s then when it changed to AAPT my sync slowed to 21mb/s and now im only syncing at 20mb/s and nothing has changed on my end apart from the MTU setting.
I try to browse with it at 1492 even just a text page takes 5-10 seconds to load where before even pages with loads of content where virtually instantaneous.
I was told in an email from Exetel that with the new backhaul nothing would change at my end and it obviously has. I shouldnt have to contact tech support and go through all of the hassle of diagnosing at my end when nothing has changed from when I reliably had 2MB+/s available 24/7. I still cant use iView on even one pc with it locking up every 2 seconds where as previously I could have both my kids streaming at the same time and getting the highest quality with my wife and I still browsing and not even noticing they were streaming. I have no QoS setup either.
If AAPT reckon everything is hunky dory their end and im sure everything is at my end where do we go from here? Internode?
I am starting to become frustrated and irritated that every day they say they have found a problem and fixed it yet there is still so many of us that have degraded service. Its starting to make me rethink my previous post.
edit: I should add that all speedtests are performed from an ethernet connection straight to the modem but with line filter still in place and are starting to become a pain to do after doing 50 odd. I also find it interesting that on ozspeedtest there has been over 25 million tests done by only ~5700 people.

cstone79

Post by cstone79 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Still not fixed for me either. On Taroona exchange with MTU=1492 this morning best its been since problem started -

Test run on 04/11/2012 @ 08:23 AM
Mirror: Exetel
Data: 600 KB
Test Time: 1.05 secs
Your line speed is 4.64 Mbps (4638 kbps).
Your download speed is 580 KB/s (0.57 MB/s).
Ping – 55ms

But as suspected as the day goes on it’s deteriorating –

Test run on 04/11/2012 @ 01:36 PM
Mirror: Exetel
Data: 600 KB
Test Time: 5.07 secs
Your line speed is 963 kbps (0.96 Mbps).
Your download speed is 120 KB/s (0.12 MB/s).
Ping – 115ms

At its best still not hitting what I am used to – a STABLE 6 Mbps down, Ping 45ms. :(

Cindercharge

Post by Cindercharge » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Indeed.

Doing a snapshot triple-check one after the other with Speedtest.net, Oz Broadband Speed Test and Exetel's own Speed Test gives the following results below.

Translating Download speed into KB/s for comparison it becomes:

Speedtest.net: 69.6 KB/s
OzBroadband Speed Test: 34 KB/s
Exetel Speed Test: 30.8 KB/s

Given that pre-23rd Oct average Download speeds were 2014 KB/s...

Given the weight of evidence provided thus far from a number of customers, could Exetel please explain its comments to date regarding the "issue" being fixed and the necessity to now only look at escalating individual customers when it is quite evident that the core problems have yet to be reconciled?

Similarly, how much longer (13 days now) must Tasmanian customers impacted by these entirely service side related issues be asked to wait until the problems are fixed?

It might be noted that the offer from the Exetel CEO of one month's free internet access to those impacted is not as generous as might have been intended when the available ADSL2 speeds are not much greater than dial-up.
20121104 1512 Speedtest.net.jpg
Speedtest.net file
20121104 1512 Speedtest.net.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
20121104 1514 Oz Broadband Speed Test.net.jpg
Oz Broadband Speed Test
20121104 1514 Oz Broadband Speed Test.net.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
20121104 1518 Exetel Speed Test.jpg
Exetel Speed Test
20121104 1518 Exetel Speed Test.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 1487 times

anurangaf
Exetel Staff

Post by anurangaf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:19 pm

If you are still experiencing any problems with your service, or need any help, please call our support engineers on 1300 788 141, Option 2, anytime between 08.30 am and 11.00 pm AEST, or email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au at any time.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Cindercharge

Post by Cindercharge » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:56 pm

anurangaf wrote:If you are still experiencing any problems with your service, or need any help, please call our support engineers on 1300 788 141, Option 2, anytime between 08.30 am and 11.00 pm AEST, or email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au at any time.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Anurangaf, are you in a position to provide any details as to why Exetel believes that the state-wide Tasmanian connectivity issues are fixed?

Secondly, the current problems that have been observed since 23rd Oct when the wholesale DSL supplier transferred from Telstra to AAPT have not ceased for a number of customers and to state otherwise seems premature at best.

While I understand the need to individualize the rendering of support per customer, by stating that the problem is fixed implies that any further "problems with your service" are the results of issues at the customer's end of the line, which also implies that it's up to the customer to be pro-active in sorting out a problem that has very clearly been shown not to have been caused by the customer.

The question that now results is whether or not AAPT, as the new wholesale DSL supplier, will actively address Exetel Support Center "escalations" of Tasmanian Exetel customer issues that have been caused by AAPT's own network.

Time will tell...but hopefully not too much time...

Kamma

Post by Kamma » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:06 pm

I encourage everyone posting here to also send an email to exetel support, if this isn't a priority it needs to be.

SirDalavar

Post by SirDalavar » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Still no luck here in Burnie so far,
Ive just logged a ticket, waiting to hear back,

Tested all sorts of changes to MTU and DNS, not much difference.

Started with trouble connecting to Google services, Exetel fixed it for me pretty quick.

But now my huge gaming latency is mucking up my long weekend.
normally 200-250ms, now 450-1300ms. Yuck!

Ill give them a chance to get it sorted, been a good service so far for the most part,
Fairly quick responses in comparison with others,
And this is the first major glitch ive seen in 18 months with them.

But another week of this and i might have to start looking around, Hmm.

sebjepb

Post by sebjepb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Have been advised by support that as far as the wholesale provider is concerned its all done and dusted.

So we all have to do speed tests and log new calls, apparently its the only way they can get AAPT to act.

So can everyone please do the speed tests and if they are not what you got prior to migration log a call Make sure you ask them for the ref no and to escalate.

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:10 am

Mine is still not right and im not wasting today trying to work with tech support over something that is still a statewide problem, its too nice outside anyway. There must be something they are doing differently than Telstra. The only thing I can think of was if AAPT used ethernet and not Telstra's ATM lines Telstra and people were on PPoA but Ive always been on PPoE and Ive seen other people say they have tried both and I thought they just re-wholesaled Telstra anyway. My setup is generic and uses default settings which has connected to every ADSL/2 connection Ive had with no problems at all. The only thing Ive ever had done was a reset at the exchange when I first signed with Exetel because of slow speeds and from then on Ive gotten 900kB/s on ADSL 8mb/s and 2mB+/s on ADSL2 whenever I needed it. I have tried a hard reset on my modem too not long after these problems started just to be sure. My best speedtest today is only 500kB/s so I can atleast browse with that but it doesnt look like its going to come right by itself although my sync speed is back to what it used to be after another modem reboot. We should not have to lodge a ticket to get YOUR supplier to fix YOUR problem but if it people are actually getting a worthwhile outcome by doing so then I guess I have no choice. Ill see what happens today and worry about it tomorrow.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Topgunn wrote:Mine is still not right and im not wasting today trying to work with tech support over something that is still a statewide problem, its too nice outside anyway. There must be something they are doing differently than Telstra. The only thing I can think of was if AAPT used ethernet and not Telstra's ATM lines Telstra and people were on PPoA but Ive always been on PPoE and Ive seen other people say they have tried both and I thought they just re-wholesaled Telstra anyway. My setup is generic and uses default settings which has connected to every ADSL/2 connection Ive had with no problems at all. The only thing Ive ever had done was a reset at the exchange when I first signed with Exetel because of slow speeds and from then on Ive gotten 900kB/s on ADSL 8mb/s and 2mB+/s on ADSL2 whenever I needed it. I have tried a hard reset on my modem too not long after these problems started just to be sure. My best speedtest today is only 500kB/s so I can atleast browse with that but it doesnt look like its going to come right by itself although my sync speed is back to what it used to be after another modem reboot. We should not have to lodge a ticket to get YOUR supplier to fix YOUR problem but if it people are actually getting a worthwhile outcome by doing so then I guess I have no choice. Ill see what happens today and worry about it tomorrow.
Please reply to the PM that I have sent you
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I dont know if they did something for me overnight because I had a fault logged or if its right for everyone but after another reboot this morning mine is nearly back to how it used to be. iView is working fine, all browsing is fine, Im getting good low 50-60ms pings to the mainland and I can hit 2.2MB/s on a decent sized download. Hopefully its not degraded too much during the peak period and Im happy again and I hope its the same for everyone. The thread has virtually stopped so I guess thats a good sign.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Topgunn wrote:I dont know if they did something for me overnight because I had a fault logged or if its right for everyone but after another reboot this morning mine is nearly back to how it used to be. iView is working fine, all browsing is fine, Im getting good low 50-60ms pings to the mainland and I can hit 2.2MB/s on a decent sized download. Hopefully its not degraded too much during the peak period and Im happy again and I hope its the same for everyone. The thread has virtually stopped so I guess thats a good sign.
Its good to hear that everything is back to normal. Please feel free to let us know if you have nay further issues :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

Kamma

Post by Kamma » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Still stuffed for me. :(

cstone79

Post by cstone79 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Seems a bit better today but i'm not getting as good a speed improvement as others have posted. However the trend with speed and ping is still downwards as the day progresses and still not back to the speed and stability i had before this issue started.

I raised a fault ticket for this problem on 27/10/11 and issue was escalated to supplier individually on 4/11/12 with new ticket #5835222. Exetel support just sent me an SMS saying "issue is still under investigation by our wholesale supplier. Currently no ETA for the restoration".
This indicates they are still working on it so fingers crossed they get a result (for all those effected) soon.