Residential Trial: Unshape your DSL service - purchase GB's

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
LarryK

Residential Trial: Unshape your DSL service - purchase GB's

Post by LarryK » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:55 am

Exetel is pleased to announce the trial of a new option for customers who have selected service shaping plans. If you have exceeded your quota and your downloads are now 'shaped', you can remove the shaping at any time by purchasing additional bandwidth for just (currently) $1 per Gigabyte. (if there is to be any change in this price per GB, this will be shown in the Secure Users Facility).

We have developed this feature in response to customer requests where people on shaped plans have run out of quota, but found they needed extra bandwidth at the end of the month, for example, to download a university assignment, or some other important work.

The minimum amount you can buy at a time is 1 gigabyte for $1, and you can buy as much as you want (but we suggest you buy the minimum you think you will need, since you can always 'top up' again later). Once you have purchased the additional capacity your shaping will be removed within 10 minutes. When the capacity is used up, shaping will then be re-applied. Any unused additional usage will be forfeited at the end of your billable period.

The feature is soon to be made available in your Members Facilities, you will need a valid credit card, then just log in and go to Manage Service > ADSL/Fibre and select the tab called 'Buy Additional Usage'.

Please post your questions or feedback.

Thank you

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Residential Trial: Unshape your DSL service - purchase G

Post by jokiin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:18 pm

feedback, it doesn't effect me anyway as I don't have a service type that gets shaped but I think it's a great feature, better than buying more than you need and wasting money, great initiative Exetel :)

Spectator

Post by Spectator » Wed May 02, 2012 8:04 pm

This is a good addition. Personally, I probably prefer the old old way (where you could just elect to pay the excess when you went over) for my usage. However, I can see that some people would want a greater level of certainty about their bill.

Perhaps a solution that would provide the best of both worlds would be to allow users to nominate a level of excess charges they are happy to accumulate before requiring authorisation for more. For example, I set in user facilities an automatic authority to accrue up to $5 excess each month. If I go over I will not be shaped unless I reach the $5 limit. If I reach that $5 I am then able to nominate an additional amount for that month only (say $5) and I am only charged $1 for each GB (or part thereof) over my plan limit.

Slightly related but it would be good if you could change plans without the cost of plan change fee - at least for plan increase. I could see you mightn't want people changing up AND DOWN regularly without fee but where someone's needs have changed and they are guaranteeing extra payments each month would be nice not to have to also pay for the change.

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu May 03, 2012 1:46 pm

So really, why is this a "new" offering? you should be calling it a "reintroduction with a twist". You've had the option to switch from a shaped to pay for excess before, and then took it away and forced everything to be shaped. So now it's just back to one of the reason I chose Exetel in the first place, which was the option to *not* shape so I wouldn't lose speed on my servers.

However, given the much larger data allowances provided, it hasn't been much of a requirement for a while.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

LarryK

Post by LarryK » Fri May 04, 2012 3:10 pm

We have made this live in the Secure Users Facility a moment ago.

Please report any issues with this Trial facility in this forum thread, or send an e-mail to billing@exetel.com.au with the subject as 'Trial Buy Additional Usage Question (your 10 digit DSL number here)' and put your question in the body of the email.

Thank you

- Larry

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:57 pm

Although I love the idea it doesn't really work for higher plans. We're getting 200GB/month for $50 (25c/GB) so I'd rather stick with waiting out the shaping. $5 for 10GB would be great though.

remosha
Exetel Staff

Post by remosha » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:29 pm

ozkidzez91 wrote:Although I love the idea it doesn't really work for higher plans. We're getting 200GB/month for $50 (25c/GB) so I'd rather stick with waiting out the shaping. $5 for 10GB would be great though.
This is what we currently have on offer. Your feedback will be passed on to the management to be considered when new plans are offered :D

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 pm

I actually have a question as I may be ignorant here, but say, I've gone over my limit by 10GB's already, do I have to buy all those first to unshape?

EDIT: I tried buying a gigabyte but it doesn't appear to have done anything.
EDIT 2: I rebooted the modem and the speed went up to non-shaped. I have to say I'm super happy with this setup as it is now, $1/GB seems much more reasonable now that I've realised (duh) that it just adds a GB starting now and you don't backpay for what you've used while on shaping (I have no idea how I came to that conclusion). Thanks for the feature, it's helping me out, at the least.

lloong

Post by lloong » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:10 pm

I like the idea of purchasing additional bandwidth but why do we have to pay using credit card? I'm talking on behalf of those that already have a direct debit account. Why can't the additional data purchased be charged to our existing account? I am one who will buy additional bandwidth but I don't like the idea of using the credit card every time I purchase. I rather wait it out till the end off the billing cycle. I don't know know whose silly idea is this but if you make payment easier, more people would use it. Instead of buying 2 GB for 2 bucks and seeing 2 dollars in your credit card statement. Waste of time and resources.

rochana
Exetel Staff

Post by rochana » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi,

This service (purchasing additional usage) needs immediate payment confirmation.

Status of the payment could be known for payments submitted from credit cards immediately (at the time of submission) unlike direct debit that takes 3-4 working days.

This is the reason why direct debit is not given as a payment option in purchasing additional usage.

Thank you.

lloong

Post by lloong » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi Thanks for the reply, I'm not talking mainly about direct debit. I'm talking about why can't you include the charges in the next billing run? You take payment from me every month and you could just add my additional purchase and bill me?

rochana
Exetel Staff

Post by rochana » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi,

This has been replied to via reference ID 5880899.

Please reply to the e-mail if you have further concerns :) .

Thank you.

kirkc

Post by kirkc » Sat May 11, 2013 3:00 am

Mort wrote:So really, why is this a "new" offering? you should be calling it a "reintroduction with a twist". You've had the option to switch from a shaped to pay for excess before, and then took it away and forced everything to be shaped. So now it's just back to one of the reason I chose Exetel in the first place, which was the option to *not* shape so I wouldn't lose speed on my servers.

However, given the much larger data allowances provided, it hasn't been much of a requirement for a while.
What Mort said.

No issue for me tho...the plan I've been on for 2 years has included extra data at $1/GB...which is a whole lot better than the $6/GB Exetel charged me for years before that...when shaping wasn't an option. I was checking tonight to see what if any benefits there may be in a plan change and was a little disappointed to see shaping was the only option...then I see this topic. Kinda seems a no brainer to me...offer choice of shape or pay and leave it alone ;-)

PS MORT you are a biatch!!! My TV/PC/media/game display thingy is a ~100" 1080P picture projected onto a plain white wall. As was reading this thread I spotted a fly...seemed a bit big so I thought maybe it was a little bug on the projector lens...but I establised it was in fact a big arse fly-like bug on the wall. I woulda sprayed it but kids are sleeping so I opted for a dirty tea towel. I walked right up to it ready to strike and PMSL. Nice work.