Yabbie

Re: New Plans!

Post by Yabbie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:39 am

^^^ Off topic.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:41 am

mayday175 wrote:Yes, I also noticed the "New Plans Coming Soon" banner has disappeared. Kinda speaks volumes to me... ie. new plans are not coming soon.

Back to a previous comment of mine... churning from Exetel to Exetel. As strange as this sounds, is it a viable option? Yes, I'd have to cancel my service then apply again, but saving $20 per month (and getting twice the download allowance, on a Regional 1 Telstra only exchange) would offset the new connection fee fairly quickly. I would like to discuss this scenario further... some questions that come to mind straight away:
- What would be the steps to achieve this?
- How long would it take?
- How much would it cost?
- Will it affect my existing Exetel member services? (eg. email addresses, blog/web space, VIOP DID, line rental, etc)
- Is it possible to for you to send the cancel and new connect requests to the carrier at the same time? I'm hoping that this might allow you to access the carrier's new plans/rates without having to unconfigure my Exetel member services.
- Anything else I/we should know?
- Or would you simply refuse to action such a request?

I realise this sounds like a crazy idea, but I would like to have a sensible, educational conversation re the pros and cons of this, keeping to the facts and refraining from speculation and personal opinion. Without an ETA for the new plans for members (ie. without a light at the end of the tunnel), this seems like the only option for the time being.
This is not possible.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:13 pm

James wrote:
mayday175 wrote:Yes, I also noticed the "New Plans Coming Soon" banner has disappeared. Kinda speaks volumes to me... ie. new plans are not coming soon.

Back to a previous comment of mine... churning from Exetel to Exetel. As strange as this sounds, is it a viable option? Yes, I'd have to cancel my service then apply again, but saving $20 per month (and getting twice the download allowance, on a Regional 1 Telstra only exchange) would offset the new connection fee fairly quickly. I would like to discuss this scenario further... some questions that come to mind straight away:
- What would be the steps to achieve this?
- How long would it take?
- How much would it cost?
- Will it affect my existing Exetel member services? (eg. email addresses, blog/web space, VIOP DID, line rental, etc)
- Is it possible to for you to send the cancel and new connect requests to the carrier at the same time? I'm hoping that this might allow you to access the carrier's new plans/rates without having to unconfigure my Exetel member services.
- Anything else I/we should know?
- Or would you simply refuse to action such a request?

I realise this sounds like a crazy idea, but I would like to have a sensible, educational conversation re the pros and cons of this, keeping to the facts and refraining from speculation and personal opinion. Without an ETA for the new plans for members (ie. without a light at the end of the tunnel), this seems like the only option for the time being.
This is not possible.
Well...Anything is possible, even if impractical

mayday175: If you cancelled, then reapplied, I can think of the following repercussions:
  • You would incur a connection fee (which, as you say might be recouped in several months)
  • It would likely take at least 10 business days, with ADSL downtime in the interim.
  • You would likely lose your email addresses, web space, etc and need to create a new ones. Also, the cancelled accounts will likely be placed in "quarantine" therefore forcing you to create new ones under different usernames. If you have other Exetel services, you can probably continue with all these linked under, say, a mobile phone or 3G account. If not, I think there is a way that you can pay an ongoing monthly fee to have the existing mail, webspace, VOIP DIDs, etc continue (though this would negate some of the cost savings)
  • You will almost surely not be able to do any trickery like submit the cancel and new connect simultaneously. The plans will need to be processed as a completely new connection.
  • Anything else - Depending on port availability in your exchange, the wait time might be even longer than 10 days. In fact, you might even be relegated to ADSL1 if no ADSL2 ports are available
  • Anything else (more) - Even if you need to wait another few months for this pricing (or similar pricing) to become available to new customers, doing so still works out in your financial favour due to the waiver of the connection fee. Plus, I would value the downtime and hassles of cancelling and reapplying as being at least another few months worth of monthly savings
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

mayday175

Post by mayday175 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:40 am

CoreyPlover wrote:I would value the downtime and hassles of cancelling and reapplying as being at least another few months worth of monthly savings
I agree, and is why I'm now pretending to ignore the new plans so I stop worrying about the money I'm wasting while stuck on an old plan! ;)

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:37 am

It's been 6 months since the new plans were introduced. I'm another one on the $67.50/month for 200GB, wanting to move to $50/month for 500GB, only for the cost savings. 6 x 17.50 is $105 extra spent waiting for these plans to come up for existing customers.

Can we get some sort of update? At this stage it's got to be a final answer of "Yes it's happening, we're just setting up the system" or "It's not happening, just cancel your plan and sign back up". I don't really care which any more, please just tell us. Also, is it possible to get the same static IP address back when signing back up? Thanks.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 am

ozkidzez91 wrote:It's been 6 months since the new plans were introduced. I'm another one on the $67.50/month for 200GB, wanting to move to $50/month for 500GB, only for the cost savings. 6 x 17.50 is $105 extra spent waiting for these plans to come up for existing customers.

Can we get some sort of update? At this stage it's got to be a final answer of "Yes it's happening, we're just setting up the system" or "It's not happening, just cancel your plan and sign back up". I don't really care which any more, please just tell us. Also, is it possible to get the same static IP address back when signing back up? Thanks.
There is no update, and it's not possible to retain the same IP, that system is automatic for res customers.

mayday175

Post by mayday175 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:25 am

ozkidzez91 wrote:6 x 17.50 is $105 extra spent waiting for these plans to come up for existing customers.
Ouch... thats a nasty chunk of money spent unnecessarily.

I was looking at Exetel's mobile broadband bundles the other day... I'm thinking that if I was to get one of these for a few months, plus a suitable modem, I could cancel my ADSL plan and reapply again later. I am making a few assumptions about this potential plan:
- I remain an Exetel customer, keep our existing email addresses, etc
- Uur family stays online via the mobile modem (we'll just have to limit our downloads while on it)
- After our ADSL plan is terminated, I apply again and get the current deal :)
- yes, this will cost a few $$$ to pull off, but after 6-8 months on a new plan the savings will have balanced out that cost.

Some things I am a little uncertain about:
- What happens to our VOIP plan and DID? Will that transfer & operate ok to the mobile service?
- What happens to our phone line rental plan? While we pay Exetel for this (not Telstra), we don't actually make any outbound calls on it (they all go via VOIP). Will this still be active so we receive regular PSTN calls?

Anyone with some reliable knowledge on this topic care to offer some insight...?

Thanks

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:47 am

Some things I am a little uncertain about:
- What happens to our VOIP plan and DID? Will that transfer & operate ok to the mobile service?
- What happens to our phone line rental plan? While we pay Exetel for this (not Telstra), we don't actually make any outbound calls on it (they all go via VOIP). Will this still be active so we receive regular PSTN calls?
Send billing an email advising them you are planning on cancelling ADSL but wish to keep your mobile service. They will move your account so the ADSL component isn't the primary part of their billing, you'll then be able to cancel it without everything else disappearing.

You get a checkbox when cancelling the ADSL asking if you wish to cancel your phone line too...

VOIP should work over mobile (however this is subject to a lot more variables and Exetel have indicated elsewhere it's not supported by them. (they did away with their MOIP app).

T.

Bellag
Exetel Staff

Post by Bellag » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:51 am

In order to better assist you on this, are you able to PM us your service number associated with your ADSL account?

Bellag
Exetel Staff

Post by Bellag » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Thank you, i have received your PM.

Kindly note that I have forwarded the relevant details to your nominated email address through reference ID: 7581840.

mayday175

Post by mayday175 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks Bella. Re thomashouseman's first comment above, can you confirm if there is there any requirement to contact billing re editing the primary service of my account?

Bellag
Exetel Staff

Post by Bellag » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:30 pm

With regards to VoIP, email and telephone, the option of keeping them active is given when cancelling your service. Once a new service is reinstated, you may send an email to billing to move these services to the new account so that you have the ability view all your invoices under one.

As per our records you do not have a mobile service with us at the moment, if you do could you please send the service number via reference ID: 7581840.

JeremyP

Post by JeremyP » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:45 am

I can't believe how long it has taken for absolutely no further update for the new plans for existing customers!

The new plans that are available are much cheaper than currently available to existing customers.

I've been with Exetel for a while now, along with worked at Exetel for 3.5 years (including the provisioning department), i cannot fathom a reason why these changes are taking so long.

Is there any accurate ETA for when these new plans will be available to existing (and loyal) customers?

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:12 am

JeremyP wrote:I can't believe how long it has taken for absolutely no further update for the new plans for existing customers!
The new plans that are available are much cheaper than currently available to existing customers.
Is there any accurate ETA for when these new plans will be available to existing (and loyal) customers?
Hate to harp, but I agree.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:19 am

JeremyP wrote:I can't believe how long it has taken for absolutely no further update for the new plans for existing customers!

I've been with Exetel for a while now, along with worked at Exetel for 3.5 years (including the provisioning department), i cannot fathom a reason why these changes are taking so long.

Jeremy, you should remember that Exetel receives bounties/commissions/etc from suppliers for new customers. This is how these new plans are offered.

There is no ETA for when these plans will be available to current customers.