NBN Power

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
Bruce

NBN Power

Post by Bruce » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:01 pm

I have just had the NBN installed - no problems. Impressed actually - SMS Wednesday night for installation next day, system running Friday morning.

I decided long ago to get rid of my land line, I rarely use it because the mobile phone is cheaper and portable so am getting the old number ported to VOIP (I hope) however there are certain implications for this.

When the NBN bloke installed it he said it was the first one of this kind he had done in 12 months. The only difference is that there is no back up power supply, that only comes if the V output is used. Nice in a way because there is only one box on the wall in the house.

However this raises the problem of a power cut because I lose data and VOIP phone - with the ADSL I had a battery back up for the modem so I could still use my laptop even in the event of a power cut and of course the land line was unaffected.

http://flic.kr/p/6xUfrH

In a way the NBN is a backward step in that a prolonged power cut means there is no data or phone line. I wonder if NBN modem power plugs will become available on Ebay :)

Oh well, looks like tethering becomes the back up option.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Re: NBN Power

Post by angelos » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:40 pm

In a way the NBN is a backward step in that a prolonged power cut means there is no data or phone line
The battery back up is not mandatory anymore and as such, your connection has been set up that way.

It has to be ordered separately if you want it so if you require it you may email provisioning@exetel.com.au and our Provisioning team will be able to look into the matter further.

Surfn Chick

Post by Surfn Chick » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Hello Bruce

Exetel are still trialling VOIP over the NBN through the UNI V port, so you will need a modem with a VOIP port in order to get that phone service

You mentioned that you got rid of your landline sometime ago, therefore this no. does not exist and will not be able to be ported to VOIP. Exetel will supply you a new no.

The back up battery that hasnt been installed with your service, only drives an analogue phone for 5 hours or a new cordless phone that has its own back up battery.

If you haven't had a landline for sometime, why bother with VOIP at all. You could just purchase a cheaper modem.

Once you get on the NBN you will realise it is not a backward step and if you were that clever at setting up a battery backup yourself for your ADSL modem maybe you could consider that option for your fibre service.

I am not sure if it is documented but maybe the forum could have Exetel sales advise new customers that at the time of their NBN installation they must advise the technician they require the battery backup unit also.

trev

Post by trev » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Bruce wrote: When the NBN bloke installed it he said it was the first one of this kind he had done in 12 months. The only difference is that there is no back up power supply, that only comes if the V output is used. Nice in a way because there is only one box on the wall in the house.

However this raises the problem of a power cut because I lose data and VOIP phone - with the ADSL I had a battery back up for the modem so I could still use my laptop even in the event of a power cut and of course the land line was unaffected.
Odd that you weren't asked whether you wanted the backup battery box. My NBN was installed at the end of January and it "came as standard" - the tech said I could "opt out" but it would also soon backup the data _and_ UNI-V ports and so I thought "why not?". It's now plugged into a 1400VA UPS for more better backup :)

Surfn Chick

Post by Surfn Chick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:59 am

Trev the backup battery was to cease being installed last year so you were lucky.

More a case of opting in for the battery now.

Incorrect - the backup battery will only support the UNI -V ports.

trev

Post by trev » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:02 pm

Surfn Chick wrote:Trev the backup battery was to cease being installed last year so you were lucky.
More a case of opting in for the battery now.
Incorrect - the backup battery will only support the UNI -V ports.
Wrong on all counts! See NBNco Media Release dated December 13, 2013.

1) NBNCo clearly state: "Telcos and ISPs have a six month implementation period, till June 2014, to ensure customers are properly briefed of their options before the customer makes a decision on whether or not to order the Power Supply with Battery Backup and gain their ‘informed consent’ as to the option chosen."

2) NBNCo clearly state: "The Battery Backup is capable of powering: [...] - any internet-connected device with its own battery backup when connected to an active UNI-D port on the NBN connection box via an Ethernet cable.

Your information is woefully out of date.

[edit: Just confirmed by pulling the power on the NBN box that my wireless router did not lose the connection from the UNI-D data port - the NBN battery backup kicked in.]

John Baird

Post by John Baird » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Hi,
Re: NBN service being down due to a power outage.
It seems the fibre side is well provisioned with battery back up in the exchange and at nodes.
My question is relating to the provision of Fibre to the C(K)urb service to my premises.
Will I have the option to have a battery back up or UPS attached to my modem so that I may maintain the landline service during power outages ?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:04 pm

John Baird wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:56 pm
Hi,
It seems the fibre side is well provisioned with battery back up in the exchange and at nodes.
My question is relating to the provision of Fibre to the C(K)urb service to my premises.
Will I have the option to have a battery back up or UPS attached to my modem so that I may maintain the landline service during power outages ?
Technically you need to power up the supplier device (NCD) and the modem both, using a UPS or any other external power supply.

Having the internet as explained above, you should be able to use the VOIP phone service.

jaychitnis

Internet dropping and slow speed issues

Post by jaychitnis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi

Is any one having problem in Mernda area in VIC. Internet is dropping every 5 to 10 mins since 6pm today. I tried restarting modem . Also speed seems to be slow than usual . Around 20mbbs and I am on the 50/20 plan. I have also changed the settings as per previous posts for netcomm modem issues.

Please advise.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Internet dropping and slow speed issues

Post by KavindaS » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:58 am

jaychitnis wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:59 pm
Hi

Is any one having problem in Mernda area in VIC. Internet is dropping every 5 to 10 mins since 6pm today. I tried restarting modem . Also speed seems to be slow than usual . Around 20mbbs and I am on the 50/20 plan. I have also changed the settings as per previous posts for netcomm modem issues.

Please advise.
I have responded to you via the other forum thread viewtopic.php?f=43&t=44988

John Baird

Post by John Baird » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 am

KavindaS wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:04 pm
John Baird wrote:
Hi,
Technically you need to power up the supplier device (NCD) and the modem both, using a UPS or any other external power supply.

Having the internet as explained above, you should be able to use the VOIP phone service.
Hi Kavinda,
I take it that the NCD resides in the street pit outside my premises as I have observed. I also would be using VOIP service. So by powering up the modem with a UPS, would this supply the NCD with power and thus maintain the service?
From previous forum discussion and according to a NBN cable tech. Fibre to Premises clients were provided with a battery backup. Not directly relevant to my question.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:15 pm

John Baird wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 am
KavindaS wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:04 pm
John Baird wrote:
Hi,

Hi Kavinda,
I take it that the NCD resides in the street pit outside my premises as I have observed. I also would be using VOIP service. So by powering up the modem with a UPS, would this supply the NCD with power and thus maintain the service?
From previous forum discussion and according to a NBN cable tech. Fibre to Premises clients were provided with a battery backup. Not directly relevant to my question.
NCD is the device installed within the premises from the supplier end. Please refer the last image (FTTC) http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... tup_guides which indicates the NCD installed.