New website glitches

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Exetel's public web site
Lawrie

Re: New website glitches

Post by Lawrie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:42 pm

I have tried to update my ADSL plan from the members facility page, Services and Usage, select ADSL, Change Plan
This gives me a table where there are two OP300 plans listed and the bottom one is the same cost as the OPF75 plan ($59.50)
If I select it anyway, assuming that it really should be OPF300 for $69.50, the table is updated with an extra column in the headings - Free Call Option.
All the data underneath now does not line up with the headings and it is not really obvious which plans get the 9000 minutes of free calls
No matter which plan option I select, the included telephone service lists a cost for local, national calls and mobiles to Optus, which should be free in the 9000 minutes.

On top of this it appears that New customers get a different combination of choices with more downloads and 3 different telephone options called ExeChat, ExeChat PLUS as well as Big ExeChat.....Will these ExeChat options be available to existing customers?

Col

Post by Col » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:06 pm

Not a glitch, but...

With the levels of data allowance on your plans you have "get what you want", "get what you need", and "get everything" - in that order from smallest quota to biggest. I personally think that getting what I "want" necessitates a larger quota than getting just what I "need". Or not *shrug*.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Lawrie wrote:I have tried to update my ADSL plan from the members facility page, Services and Usage, select ADSL, Change Plan
This gives me a table where there are two OP300 plans listed and the bottom one is the same cost as the OPF75 plan ($59.50)
If I select it anyway, assuming that it really should be OPF300 for $69.50, the table is updated with an extra column in the headings - Free Call Option.
All the data underneath now does not line up with the headings and it is not really obvious which plans get the 9000 minutes of free calls
No matter which plan option I select, the included telephone service lists a cost for local, national calls and mobiles to Optus, which should be free in the 9000 minutes.

On top of this it appears that New customers get a different combination of choices with more downloads and 3 different telephone options called ExeChat, ExeChat PLUS as well as Big ExeChat.....Will these ExeChat options be available to existing customers?
This has been informed to the relevant sales department and they will update you accordingly.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:55 am

Ziege Mitfahrer wrote:Exetel have turned their site into a RPG (that's "role playing game" not "rocket propelled grenade")
I went to "About Us" to find the magic "X" to kill the Jolly Green Text Box to see the clean desks, but my view of the "X" was obscured by the impenetrable "Monitor's Edge". As Exetel would say... "BS"
With dual monitors, you can resize your browser across one and a bit screens, which makes all of the hidden parts of the site appear.
After trying for a week, I finally closed the big green box and what did I see? Photographs of more green boxes.
I need a little nap.
We are Currently working on the screen resolutions as a high priority task!

Though this will take some time to fix as we are customizing each element’s layout for 480px, 768px,980px, 1200px screen ranges.

but I can ensure once it’s done, all the mobile and small screen related defects will be eliminated.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:39 am

The inability to fit to browser width is behind many of the display problems. Excessive javascript where html will do perfectly well is behind others.

Ziege M, if you want to kill the green box, just add a user CSS file for the site. Common browsers have this feature. (see, eg, http://webdesign.about.com/od/userstyle ... 010906.htm). The file, say exetel.css, needs to contain the line
#punchline { display: none !important; }

This irritation has a temporary look about it, and I imagine it will eventually be dropped.

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:41 pm

Wow.. the User Facilities are really messed up. I'm following updates closely as I want to change my Mobile Broadband plan to the Small plan.

Now previously the plans displayed when you click the option to change but there was no way to select a plan.

I can see this has now been fixed, and I can select a plan however the information presented is very different to what I expect it to be. The small plan should be $34.95 a month for 10GB with no contract simply month to month with 30 days cancellation notice.

So the information displayed on the plan change states there is a 12 month contract with minimum costs being $479.88 which I believe is totally incorrect.

Code: Select all

10 GB
Included Data
12 Month Contract Term
=
$39.99
Total Minimum Monthly
$479.88
Total Minimum Cost
Critical Information Summary
Standard Usage Charges
Excess Data per 1MB	 	$0.02
So I figure this must be a mistake and click confirm after selecting to change to the small plan and on the next page I am presented with this.

Code: Select all

MY CURRENT PLAN - X-Large
Included Voice	 YES
Unlimited SMS	 NO
Data allowance	20000 MB
International Call allowance	$ 0.00
Monthly Fee	$ 69.95

To the below selected plan

MY SELECTED PLAN - Small
Included Voice	YES
Unlimited SMS	NO
Data allowance	10000 MB
International Call allowance	$0.00
Monthly Fee	$ 19.95

So now the plan price is $19.95 and not the $34.95 which is mentioned on the previous page?

Seriously Exetel, what is going on.. this is not how a mature business operates. Do yourself a favour, revert to the old website until all these problems are ironed out.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:39 pm

Logged in to 'myexetel' to check on the progress of a support ticket, cannot find an obvious link.
So I try pulldown tab 'Additional Info' , click on 'Support Help'…this just takes me back to the index page….Doh...Catch22.
Please pull it down, get it right and then try again. Also dump all the myexetel marketing carp it doesn't sit with who you are…please "No BS. No fuss"
RAND-NF/20INCTEL-Draytek 2710vn

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:55 pm

CLoSeR wrote:
Seriously Exetel, what is going on.. this is not how a mature business operates. Do yourself a favour, revert to the old website until all these problems are ironed out.
We are currently looking in to this. Apologies for the inconvenience caused. We will update you as soon as we get a fix on this.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Mixer wrote:Logged in to 'myexetel' to check on the progress of a support ticket, cannot find an obvious link.
So I try pulldown tab 'Additional Info' , click on 'Support Help'…this just takes me back to the index page….Doh...Catch22.
Please pull it down, get it right and then try again. Also dump all the myexetel marketing carp it doesn't sit with who you are…please "No BS. No fuss"
This has been already informed to the developers. We will confirm once it is fixed.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:43 am

Why have rotating images of staff and random "WHO IS <xyz>" names that don't match? It gives the impression that you have a female staff member apparently called Richard, a two Qaanitas; one male and one female and a beach called Jay.

...or...you could...I dunno...just remove these completely unnecessary rotating wallpapers and name elements since neither of them serve any purpose whatsoever.

A much more minor gripe: It is also quite impressive (in a bad way) that you have taken simple and intuitive checkbox and text inputs (like under Account, Edit) and made them so unintuitive:
  • Instead of allowing direct edit of fields, with the standard option of "Save changes" you have elected to first present a read-only version that requires the user to click "Edit". This is unnecessary because the user will confirm any form field changes via the "Save" button anyway; there is no need for a superfluous "Edit" click
  • When read-only, there is a visual cue of a "do not enter" sign on the text fields (which is fine I guess) though the checkboxes have no such cue
  • When in edit mode, there is no obvious visual cue to indicate the text fields have become editable (I'd suggest lightening the background colour from grey to white)
  • When in edit mode, the checkboxes themselves are clickable (but the mouse pointer doesn't suggest this), the label is clickable (which is expected) but so is the whitespace all the way off to the right (this is just weird)
  • When in edit mode, the second checkbox is "Reset" which is a little scary sounding. "Cancel" would seem more intuitive.
Seriously, why use jQuery like this? You are just making it a more complicated webpage (both visually for the user and programmatically for the coder) while simultaneously effecting a worse end result. Why not just allow direct and regular input of text and checkbox (with a label span) fields, all confirmed via a single "Save changes" button?
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:12 am

CoreyPlover wrote:Why have rotating images of staff and random "WHO IS <xyz>" names that don't match?
Good to hear I'm not the only one who noticed, I'm looking at a photo of Martin with floating text for Who is James?
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:14 am

CLoSeR wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:Why have rotating images of staff and random "WHO IS <xyz>" names that don't match?
Good to hear I'm not the only one who noticed, I'm looking at a photo of Martin with floating text for Who is James?
We will be adding more pictures and will be aligning them with the actual name of the person.

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:51 am

What happened to VoIP services - has Exetel stopped selling new VoIP services?
I can't see it on the Web Site or Member's Facility anywhere as a new service to order........

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:11 am

thejeg wrote:We will be adding more pictures and will be aligning them with the actual name of the person.
So, again, the burning question: Why allow the site go live if it was known to be incomplete (and in many other cases, incorrect and buggy)?
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:19 am

Corey's right about the use of jquery. Most of the chaos customers are reporting relates to the overuse and misuse of javascript for things done much better in html and css. Back-pedalling on the javascript would be a good place to start.

Nobody seems to be looking over code for even basic stuff - eg, DOCTYPE, or on the home page alone a collection of null strings used as ID, there's even a duplicated ID there.