Eamil being bounced

Email setup and troubleshooting
Baldrick
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 am

Eamil being bounced

Post by Baldrick » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:58 am

Hi,
I am having a small problem with the standard exemail service in that while it is working fine from my fixed service to exetel & most servers are accepting mail from me when using my static WBB service, occasionally I am getting an email bounced back at me when using WBB due to a reverse DNS lookup issue.
Servers which will bounce me are larger services such as hotmail who are using the reverse lookup function for antispam stuff meaning if the reverse dns is not right, then mail doesn't get through.

Example of bouce reason from external mail service:
550 Sorry, we do not accept mail from hosts with dynamic IP or generic DNS PTR-records. Please get a custom reverse DNS name from your ISP for your host 220.233.0.71

Can exetel fix this issue when using the premium wbb service as backup for fixed dsl service?

stevecJ
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1060
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by stevecJ » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Baldrick wrote:Hi,
I am having a small problem with the standard exemail service in that while it is working fine from my fixed service to exetel & most servers are accepting mail from me when using my static WBB service, occasionally I am getting an email bounced back at me when using WBB due to a reverse DNS lookup issue.
Servers which will bounce me are larger services such as hotmail who are using the reverse lookup function for antispam stuff meaning if the reverse dns is not right, then mail doesn't get through.

Example of bouce reason from external mail service:
550 Sorry, we do not accept mail from hosts with dynamic IP or generic DNS PTR-records. Please get a custom reverse DNS name from your ISP for your host 220.233.0.71

Can exetel fix this issue when using the premium wbb service as backup for fixed dsl service?
Hi,

Could you please PM me your email address/service number, so that I could look in to this for you :?:
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

glend
Exetel Staff
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Exetel Sydney

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by glend » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Baldrick, thanks for pointing this out. Exetel's mail server does have a PTR record:

71.0.233.220.in-addr.arpa. 6948 IN PTR pecan2-mail.exetel.com.au.

Are you able to see a different answer (or lack of answer) from DNS for that address? Perhaps a local DNS server is failing to do a zone transfer or something.


Glen
System Admin
Exetel

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6015
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by Dazzled » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:13 pm

$ host 220.233.0.71
71.0.233.220.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au.

Google returns:
71.0.233.220.in-addr.arpa. 21599 IN PTR pecan2-mail.exetel.com.au.

Baldrick
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by Baldrick » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:46 pm

I am going to do a little more checking, but for now i am suspecting the issue I am having may be coming from 1 single receiving server. Maybe they have tried to screw their servers down just too tightly.
It seems these bounces are just coming from this 1 service. ( 2 different email addresses of mine doing the same thing. 1 from my own mail server & personal domain which fair enough, I have never bothered to get a reversedns ptr set up for it & now my main exemail address...)

It may be that if this other server wants to play that game I will need to get my contact to change mail providers.
Last edited by Baldrick on Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baldrick
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by Baldrick » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:23 pm

OK, I sent a test mail from my fixed adsl service this morning to this 1 service that has been bouncing me & sure enough it bounced right back to me. I checked the reverse lookup which came up as "~$ host 220.233.0.71
71.0.233.220.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer pecan2-mail.exetel.com.au."
My last successful mail to my contact was on February 9th. I found the mail started bouncing with my next communication on the 15th February, so this problem has occured within that weeks timeframe.
So either exetel's reverse lookup name has a problem or far more likely is this other service is screwed down way too much.
Would it may be worth sending an email to this service provider with a "please explain" request do you think?

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by Kaushalya » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi Baldrick,

Can I get your service number / previous ticket reference number?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by ShaminG » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:29 pm

i am suspecting the issue I am having may be coming from 1 single receiving server. It seems these bounces are just coming from this 1 service.


The problem could be the destination mail server failing to resolve the RDNS of 220.233.0.71. It might be using the local name server and has not updated the rdns records. Exetel's mail server(220.233.0.71) does have a PTR record to pecan2-mail.exetel.com.au.

Baldrick
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by Baldrick » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:07 am

I wrote to this other service in order to see if they can shed some light on this issue which it appears they have.
Below is a translation of their reply:
Hello

The problem is that the write-back (PTR) for your IP like
writeback for dynamic IP networks on which we do not accept
mail in order to combat spam. You need to contact your
provider to change the PTR - to match the name of your
domain.

Thank you!

saadbafik
Exetel Staff
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:12 pm
Location: Sri Lanka

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by saadbafik » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:05 am

Baldrick wrote:I wrote to this other service in order to see if they can shed some light on this issue which it appears they have.
Below is

Thank you!
[/quote]

Hi,

Can you please PM me your service number / Customer ID ?

Baldrick
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by Baldrick » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Any signs of light being cast on this issue yet?

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by Kaushalya » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:43 am

I have updated the ticket ID 7595120. We will check the possibilities and update you :)

Baldrick
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by Baldrick » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:50 am

Have done a little more testing as I get time & have come up with this:
It seems the web based squirrel mail service provided by exetel works with mail getting through, so I sent a couple of mails to myself 1 from webmail & the other through my Thunderbird client.
Can exetel confirm my theory where I have noted in the below headers please so I can contact the other service provider with this information.
This fails: {Thunderbird smtp/pop client)
Received: from smtp.po.exetel.com.au (pecan-mail.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.8]) <-- This should be the address being parsed?
by davidsweb.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8FEE13BBD
for <myemailaddress@davidsweb.net>; Sun, 2 Mar 2014 10:03:56 +1100 (EST)
Received: from xxx.xxx.70.115.static.exetel.com.au ([115.70.xxx.xxx] helo=[192.168.1.19]) <-- It seems this is the address being parsed which is wrong?
by smtp.po.exetel.com.au with esmtp (Exim 4.80)


This works; (Exetel Squirrel Webmail service)
Received: from acorn.exetel.com.au (acorn.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.21])
by davidsweb.net (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 953B33BBA
for <myemailaddress@davidsweb.net>; Sun, 2 Mar 2014 10:01:59 +1100 (EST)
Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=webmail.exetel.com.au) <-- This gets through the other ISP servers and will be delivered!!
by acorn.exetel.com.au with esmtp (Exim 4.71)
Note: I have used exact same sending email addresses for both tests.

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by Kaushalya » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks for the information :)

We will investigate and get back to you.

saadbafik
Exetel Staff
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:12 pm
Location: Sri Lanka

Re: Eamil being bounced

Post by saadbafik » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Baldrick wrote:Have done a little more testing as I get time & have come up with this:
It seems the web based squirrel mail service provided by exetel works with mail getting through, so I sent a couple of mails to myself 1 from webmail & the other through my Thunderbird client.
Can exetel confirm my theory where I have noted in the below headers please so I can contact the other service provider with this information.
This fails: {Thunderbird smtp/pop client)
Received: from smtp.po.exetel.com.au (pecan-mail.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.8]) <-- This should be the address being parsed?
by davidsweb.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8FEE13BBD
for <myemailaddress@davidsweb.net>; Sun, 2 Mar 2014 10:03:56 +1100 (EST)
Received: from xxx.xxx.70.115.static.exetel.com.au ([115.70.xxx.xxx] helo=[192.168.1.19]) <-- It seems this is the address being parsed which is wrong?
by smtp.po.exetel.com.au with esmtp (Exim 4.80)


This works; (Exetel Squirrel Webmail service)
Received: from acorn.exetel.com.au (acorn.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.21])
by davidsweb.net (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 953B33BBA
for <myemailaddress@davidsweb.net>; Sun, 2 Mar 2014 10:01:59 +1100 (EST)
Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=webmail.exetel.com.au) <-- This gets through the other ISP servers and will be delivered!!
by acorn.exetel.com.au with esmtp (Exim 4.71)
Note: I have used exact same sending email addresses for both tests.
Hi

It appears the name server at mail.ru is failing to update the PTR records and as confirmed before, PTR record of 220.233.0.71 do exist and pointing to pecan2-mail.exetel.com.au.

Unfortunately there's no resolution from our end for this matter.

We highly regret any inconvenience caused.

Post Reply