You want twice for less?

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
arachnologist

You want twice for less?

Post by arachnologist » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:46 pm

Received an email from Exetel. Basically you guys want twice the money for less. Isn't it a bit steep? Who on Earth needs 4G if only voice service is used? Can you confirm it is official, not April Fools Day joke, cause if it is, I will be gone.

That's what you want as per your email
Plan name Z15 - > ExeSim Value
Service type 3G - > 4G
Monthly access fee $15.00 - > $29.99
Please reply and it is not fair to give less than a month to decide.

pssturges

Re: You want twice for less?

Post by pssturges » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:58 pm

Currently looking for a new provider for may family's 5 phone services. None of which are 4g capable.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:09 pm

pssturges wrote:Currently looking for a new provider for may family's 5 phone services. None of which are 4g capable.
The new plans support both 3G and 4G, you do not need a 4G handset for it to work.

arachnologist

Post by arachnologist » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:10 pm

I still want an official reply from Exetel. Do you really want to see us gone?

arachnologist

Post by arachnologist » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:11 pm

So, is it true? $30 instead of $15? For less service? Is it official?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:23 pm

I have a couple of phones on these old plans that are used only for emergency calls when out. They now cost $60 per annum, and rarely have a call made on them. Data usage is disabled.

That money can buy a pay-as-you-go with long expiry time from someone else. That will probably be the solution for most users of these plans.

BradM

Post by BradM » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:29 pm

We have just received the same e-mail notice for our services.

1. It is distasteful to be forced off a plan. Exetel does this far too often. It is inconvenient for customers, and it punishes user loyalty.
Every time we are forced off a plan, we seriously review our relationship with the supplier. Few suppliers force customers off plans as frequently as Exetel does; it is a feature of the way Exetel does business.

2. Exetel is giving less than one calendar month's notice to customers being forced off the Z15 plans. This is inconvenient and unfair. It probably violates some written terms and conditions, not that violating anything in writing has ever bothered Exetel. That, also, is a feature of the way Exetel does business.

3. The 100% price increase for a few percent more voice and 33% less data is extraordinary.

The claim that the "recommended" plan is "4G" as opposed to the Z15's "3G", a claim of the carrier Optus, is laughable in practice in terms of mobile internet performance.
Over a long period of time on the Optus network, some via Exetel and some direct with Optus, we have seen the Optus network become saturated and the data performance fall. At locations around Australia we regularly visit, we see worse Optus mobile performance and increassing signs of saturation, year after year.
It is clear that Optus are milking the existing infrastructure to saturation point, and not caring about the customer experience.

Many Optus cell stations, regadless of their top potential performance, deliver an actual data rate somewhere around 2G standards. In locations we visit the data rate is a maximum of about 150 kilobits per second, and often much less.
To call this network "4G" - admittedtly Optus' claim repeated by Exetel, is misleading.

In any case, 4G or not, 1GB data for $30 per month versus 1.5GB data for $15 a month is a bad deal on the Optus network.
We know we will get 2G speeds in most cases. The claimed "4G" is not a benefit.

4. We note that Exetel is doing nothing at all to reward loyalty of existing customers; we get the same deal on this that a newcomer to Exetel would get.
In other areas, Exetel has moved into the "me, too" camp of punishing loyalty like most other telco's.
Cheaper plans are now available than the Exetel ADSL plan we are on, but that is "for new customers only" and we don't see Exetel forcing us off our more expensive plan onto a cheaper plan.
Reward newcomers, and punish customer loyalty (or inertia), that's the telco model.

After 5 years with Exetel, we are seriously disappointed with being forced off a plan onto one at double the price.
We are considering our position in the light of this. Once plan cost is at the $30 per month level, there are many alternatives.
We have also signed up a number of our clients to Z15 plans. Our group will all consider their positions on this, and not just swallow Exetel's "recommendation".

roby

Post by roby » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 pm

We have 5 mobiles in the family and will be considering going some where else

sailing

Post by sailing » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Got email too.

Monthly access fee doubled from $15.00 to $29.99, with less included data from 1.5G to 1G.

Have been with Exetel for about 9 years now, quite disappointing.

bruceee

Post by bruceee » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:25 pm

I have 2 phones for very casual use at $5 per month which now will be 2 @ $15 per month each and one for my daughter currentlly $15 per month going to $30 per month. I am not happy, and the lack of 30 days notice is noted.
So much for valued customers
Last edited by bruceee on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

LisaH

Post by LisaH » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:52 pm

I received the same email today. I am currently on the V9 plan which gives me 200mb/month for $9 and I'll now be moved to a new plan at $15/month which only gives me 100mb. I have no need of 4G, I don't use the phone much, it is mostly used for data and text, and I'm supposed to pay 60% more per month for half the data? It might be different if we were getting more data for the higher cost, but we're not.

I'm considering switching providers, too. And given that all of my telco services are with Exetel I'd be considering taking my internet and home phone with my mobile. It's appalling. I've been with Exetel for close to 10 years and this is how they treat us?

Not happy.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:58 pm

I too have noticed the change from new plans, with the old $15 per month for 1.5GB of data being replaced with $30 per month for 1GB of data (or $20 per month for 500MB of data).

Sadly, this seems to be the new fashion of the industry: 3G plans are migrated to 4G plans and the premium that is paid for the faster 4G service makes them much lower value for money.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

vbap

Post by vbap » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:54 pm

I remember when Z15 came out - it was one of those special deals (for new customers only). It was about half the cost of equivalent plans. I tried to convert an existing exetel mobile service but it wasn't allowed. So I got my Mum onto it as a new customer - perfect for her, mainly for calls - she doesn't use much data on her phone. $200 call allowance on the 19.99 plan is borderline - the data is plenty though.

My wife is on a CAP19 that came with a $10 combined service discount. I wonder when I will get an email to kick me off that one...

It has been a good few years and a hassle to have to research somewhere else to go now...

bruceee

Post by bruceee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:12 am

My biggest worry is how to finance this $35 Exetel money grab.
I have 2 mobile A plans and 1 z15 plan, also broadband and voip, so my monthly spend will go from around $80 per month to $115.
I am not a big user of any of these items. I guess the recent $2 pension increase will help a lot.
Anybody know where a 66 year old can get a job these days ?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:15 am

http://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhon ... Visualiser is a very useful phone plan comparison website. It allows easy filtering to particular data quota or included minutes.

It only finds 11 plans with 1GB of data allowance below $30. So sadly it seems that budget phone plans are being phased out. Perusing other carrier websites makes it seem like $30 is the defacto pricing point for 1GB plans now.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au