Sim Card Has Not Been Detected Or Is Invalid

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
cressy48

Sim Card Has Not Been Detected Or Is Invalid

Post by cressy48 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:38 pm

I am wondering if anyone has the same problem that I have. I have Huawei e3131 dongle with x-small 2 GB plan, but can't get the internet, almost one month after activation.

I get this message all the time: " sim card has not been detected or is invalid" Then if I click on "connect" this message; "you can't connect before register an available network" even though I have carried out all sorts of trouble shooting. and tried the modem/ dongle on a different computer in a different location.
I know it is a job for Exetel, but they seem to have given up on me now.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Sim Card Has Not Been Detected Or Is Invalid

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:55 pm

The support staff can check from Exetel's end. Someone will drop by soon.

If you wish, you can test the modem and SIM from your end using modem AT commands. A method for Windows is described at http://www.developershome.com/sms/howTo ... rminal.asp over a few pages.

AT +COPS? should return something like 'umts yes optus' if you should actually get the device working.

If you have a Linux machine open two terminals on the used USB port, one to type the commands, the other to listen (tr -s "\n" </dev/ttyUSBx).

SajithaH
Exetel Staff

Post by SajithaH » Thu May 01, 2014 1:37 am

cressy48 wrote:I am wondering if anyone has the same problem that I have. I have Huawei e3131 dongle with x-small 2 GB plan, but can't get the internet, almost one month after activation.

I get this message all the time: " sim card has not been detected or is invalid" Then if I click on "connect" this message; "you can't connect before register an available network" even though I have carried out all sorts of trouble shooting. and tried the modem/ dongle on a different computer in a different location.
I know it is a job for Exetel, but they seem to have given up on me now.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
Hi cressy48,

Can you please PM or email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au, your Service number and SIM card number (It should be printed on your SIM).

Thanks.

cressy48

Post by cressy48 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Dazzled wrote:The support staff can check from Exetel's end. Someone will drop by soon.

If you wish, you can test the modem and SIM from your end using modem AT commands. A method for Windows is described at http://www.developershome.com/sms/howTo ... rminal.asp over a few pages.

AT +COPS? should return something like 'umts yes optus' if you should actually get the device working.

If you have a Linux machine open two terminals on the used USB port, one to type the commands, the other to listen (tr -s "\n" </dev/ttyUSBx).
--------------------------------------------------------
Hi Dazzled,
Thanks for your answer. I actually went in to see Exetel in Walker St North Sydney, and asked someone there to try my dongle/modem in their computer to find out what was wrong.
They were polite and helpful, but got the same result that I was getting.

It turned out in the end that the it was the wrong sim card (nano instead of combo) I had no idea what different types of sim look like, but didn't think for a moment that Exetel would send me the wrong one for my desktop computer.
Now I do get the Internet but very slow.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon May 05, 2014 1:01 am

cressy48 wrote:
It turned out in the end that the it was the wrong sim card (nano instead of combo) I had no idea what different types of sim look like, but didn't think for a moment that Exetel would send me the wrong one for my desktop computer.
Now I do get the Internet but very slow.
Apologies for the inconvenience caused for the confusion with the sim cards sent.

If your internet is slow you should check the amount of signal bars you see on the device or its application on the computer. If the device is not getting good signal coverage it will tend to be slow, especially if the signal you get is not 4G or 3G.

If you have any issues with this you could PM SajithaH the service number and he will assist in getting this issue looked into further.