VoIP service access control

Post by pasanm » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:59 pm

To help protect our VoIP customers from fraudulent calls Exetel has
decided to limit access to the VoIP system to Australian IP addresses
only. This means that you will not be able to make calls via your VoIP
account from outside of Australia.

We apologise for the inconvenience that this may cause but with all
fraudulent activity coming in from outside Australia it is felt that
this a prudent act to help protect you from unwarranted charges.

You will be able to receive calls and make them, from your Australian
connection, as per normal.

If you are a UPABX customer, this does not affect you as you are already
protected in a similar manner.

This change will occur on 23rd of June 2014.
Exetel Systems Team

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VoIP service access control

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Pasanm this is disastrous. Please consider an arrangement where travelling customers can continue to use their phones for specified periods at least.

My family rely on VoIP when overseas. On one occasion when very serious illness struck in a non-English speaking country it was quite literally a lifesaver. It was the only means of summoning help and keeping in touch.

This is quite sufficient cause to find another supplier.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:27 am

Hi Dazzled,

What would you suggest we do to solve this situation?

A lot of less tech savvy customers leave ports open on their modems/voip devices, and these details are continually obtained by people from overseas, costing Exetel tens of thousands in fraud a month. Looking at the SIP registrations of our users, only a handful would be impacted, and for these, we can always add known overseas IPs to a whitelist attached to their account.

James

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks James.

The problem with an IP whitelist is that the IPs of hotels, and any necessary emergency access to the internet, are not known prior to travel. There would be few check-in desks and booking staff who know what an IP is. Some of us use less salubrious accommodation and need to find a cafe etc.

I would suggest that where o/s travel is about to occur a secured request could be made to be placed on a whitelist of VoIP accounts or Exetel SIP addresses with non-Australian access. This could have an expiry date.

These users could be notified when applying of the possibility of their passwords being accessed from inappropriate use or systems, and even a statement that they may be exposed to costs from illegal access.

These o/s users will normally be using a mobile device - a netbook, laptop, tablet or smartphone. The password configuration will be in the device softphone, not in the modem. A condition of use should be that non-Australian modems/ATAs must not be configured with the Exetel service. This would not bother normal travellers. Exetel can detect a softphone from the UA string. You could even go so far as to require the use of a multi-OS phone such as Linphone for a common UA.

I would expect that for these users only a pre-infected Windows device would be at risk, and that risk could have existed in Australia before travel, and would still be there on return. The other OSs are either immune or nearly so.

My family travels with a secure Linux netbook (hopefully to be changed to a Linux tablet) and as mentioned, it has been a life saver. The only obstacle, rarely found, has been hotel systems configured to block high RTP ports by dopey admins. The beauty of softphones is that you can easily change ports.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:57 am

Dazzled wrote:Thanks James.

The problem with an IP whitelist is that the IPs of hotels, and any necessary emergency access to the internet, are not known prior to travel. There would be few check-in desks and booking staff who know what an IP is. Some of us use less salubrious accommodation and need to find a cafe etc.

I would suggest that where o/s travel is about to occur a secured request could be made to be placed on a whitelist of VoIP accounts or Exetel SIP addresses with non-Australian access. This could have an expiry date.

These users could be notified when applying of the possibility of their passwords being accessed from inappropriate use or systems, and even a statement that they may be exposed to costs from illegal access.

These o/s users will normally be using a mobile device - a netbook, laptop, tablet or smartphone. The password configuration will be in the device softphone, not in the modem. A condition of use should be that non-Australian modems/ATAs must not be configured with the Exetel service. This would not bother normal travellers. Exetel can detect a softphone from the UA string.

I would expect that for these users only a pre-infected Windows device would be at risk, and that risk could have existed in Australia before travel, and would still be there on return. The other OSs are either immune or nearly so.

My family travels with a secure Linux netbook (hopefully to be changed to a Linux tablet) and as mentioned, it has been a life saver. The only obstacle, rarely found, has been hotel systems configured to block high RTP ports by dopey admins. The beauty of softphones is that you can easily change ports.
Hi Dazzled,

A good idea, sort of what we do for mobile roaming. We have a new VoIP resource starting in a week, i'll make this project a high priority.

In the meantime, if you want to email me your SIP details, i'll make sure we do not block international IPs.

James

pasanm

Post by pasanm » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:09 pm

This Change was put on hold until further notice.
Exetel Systems Team

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VoIP service access control -- change on hold

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:28 pm

Things have moved on, but for this is for the record.

I have received PMs from users who for some reason were unable to post in this topic at the time.

They refer to overseas trips where VoiP was their only working phone connection with home. This mirrors my family's worrying experience.

Another attempted post came from IanS, with a view similar to James' post:
My suggestions is to have an opt-in arrangement similar to global roaming for mobiles, where you can set an enable & disable date for overseas VoIP access, but to also have an option to specify which countries you are travelling to.
Exetel should be able to geo-block non specified countries?

[edit] just remembered - this is an Outage Update topic, with restricted posting rights. If readers have something to suggest, please start a fresh thread in the VoIP section.

pasanm

Re: VoIP service access control -- change on hold

Post by pasanm » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:12 pm

Exetel Systems Team

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:12 pm

This feature has been implemented.

You are now able to control what IPs can use your VoIP service through your My Exetel facilities area under VoIP configuration.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Like this (by default).....
Don't forget to change it if you travel with VoIP.
Attachments
voip.png
voip.png (25.12 KiB) Viewed 4649 times