Usage differences?

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
Thundershock81

Usage differences?

Post by Thundershock81 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:01 pm

Just a quick question - under my summary on my Exetel home page it says my download and upload limits are 53gig on peak, 53 gig offpeak - however my plan is 100 gig on and unlimited off as far as I am aware.

Can you please confirm that this is an error and update accordingly?

Thanks
Dale

kushanw
Exetel Staff

Re: Usage differences?

Post by kushanw » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:16 pm

Dear Dale,

Kindly note that there's a change to the usage calculation period from July 2014 onwards. Hereafter the usage will be calculated from 14th of the current month to the 13th of the following month.

Therefore the usage shown on your MyExetel page currently is only from 28th June to 13th of July as pro-rata. That's why it's on 53GB.

From 14th July onwards it will get back to usual 100GB download limit and that will be for - from 14-07-2014 to 13-08-2014.

Chris T

Post by Chris T » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:57 pm

That make sense. However, the "Monthly Progress" is counted against a full month. I.e., for those that are currently billed on the 28th, the "Monthly Progress" is "3 / 30 (10%)" today, which makes erroneous comparison against the ADSL / Fibre data usage.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:05 am

Chris T wrote:That make sense. However, the "Monthly Progress" is counted against a full month. I.e., for those that are currently billed on the 28th, the "Monthly Progress" is "3 / 30 (10%)" today, which makes erroneous comparison against the ADSL / Fibre data usage.
The billing cycle will remain as is. It's just your usage calculation that has been changed. The calculation will occur from the 14th of each month to the 13th of the next and you will be billed for it at the end of the next month with the rental charges.

Example : Usage calculated between 14the July to 13th August will be billed to you on your Billing date which could be either 28th August or 1st September with the September monthly rental.

Hope that helps :)

Chris T

Post by Chris T » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:09 pm

angelos wrote:The billing cycle will remain as is. It's just your usage calculation that has been changed. The calculation will occur from the 14th of each month to the 13th of the next and you will be billed for it at the end of the next month with the rental charges.

Example : Usage calculated between 14the July to 13th August will be billed to you on your Billing date which could be either 28th August or 1st September with the September monthly rental.
I understand what you said. My original comment was that the percentage of usage until the 13th of this month cannot be used as a meaningful comparison against the percentage of the progress of the month in the usage meter. I hope I am not the only one using these numbers to monitor my average daily usage as the month progresses.

Now, I have re-read the e-mail about the changes to the monthly bill and have me rather confused. I read that as you are now charging the fixed monthly charges from the 1st to the end of the month but the usage from the 14th to the 13th in the same invoice that is debited on either the 28th or the 1st, correct? I am not an accountant but this looks complicated to me.
To be honest, the last time Exetel change the billing date on me, you couldn't get the calculations right and overcharged me. That was just a simple move of the billing cycle...

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Now, I have re-read the e-mail about the changes to the monthly bill and have me rather confused. I read that as you are now charging the fixed monthly charges from the 1st to the end of the month but the usage from the 14th to the 13th in the same invoice that is debited on either the 28th or the 1st, correct? I am not an accountant but this looks complicated to me.
To be honest, the last time Exetel change the billing date on me, you couldn't get the calculations right and overcharged me. That was just a simple move of the billing cycle...
Try below, hope that will simplify the process.
- Usage quota is from 14th till 13th
- On 14th of the month you will see the invoice for any excess usage between 14th - 13th along with monthly rental due for next month.
- Amount you see on 14th will get charged to customer on the billing day (28th or the 1st).

Chris T

Post by Chris T » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Okay, as things stand right now. The "Monthly Progress" and "ADSL/Fibre Usage" are calculated correctly. When I checked yesterday morning, "Monthly Progress" was correctly calculated as 1/31, however, the usage was calculated from 1 July.

What is wrong now is the detail breakdown of the "ADSL/Fibre Usage" is displaying from 14 June to 12 July.

I got an invoice on 14 Jul which is correct if I ignore the rounding error favoring Exetel. Thank you that I don't have to teach someone simple mathematics again.

I got another invoice on 15 Jul of $0, what is happening here?

Has Exetel discontinued the displaying of invoices as HTML in the member facilities as it is no longer shown as an option for the above two invoices?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:38 pm

When I checked yesterday morning, "Monthly Progress" was correctly calculated as 1/31, however, the usage was calculated from 1 July.
This has now been corrected.
What is wrong now is the detail breakdown of the "ADSL/Fibre Usage" is displaying from 14 June to 12 July.
I believe the page gives you the option of selecting the period you want to view usage.
I got another invoice on 15 Jul of $0, what is happening here?
You could ignore the invoice as it's $0.
Has Exetel discontinued the displaying of invoices as HTML in the member facilities as it is no longer shown as an option for the above two invoices?
Apparently, it's not available in HTML. I have asked our billing team to get this confirmed with development team and update the thread.

Thushari
Exetel Staff

Post by Thushari » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:34 pm

ShaminG wrote: Has Exetel discontinued the displaying of invoices as HTML in the member facilities as it is no longer shown as an option for the above two invoices?

Apparently, it's not available in HTML. I have asked our billing team to get this confirmed with development team and update the thread.
HTML invoices will no longer be available.

shinryoku

Post by shinryoku » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:31 pm

According to this thread, for the month of July, the ADSL usage resets on 14 Jul correct? i.e. if my peak quota is 75GB, it should go back to 0GB on 14 Jul, which is what I'm seeing in my online account.

I had been shaped earlier this month (due to the usage exceeding the pro-rataed quota between 1-13 Jul), but my connection during peak hours is still being shaped now (16 Jul).

I ran the Exetel speedtest and I'm only getting 700-800 kbps. Prior to shaping I can get over 15 Mbps. How can I check if I'm still being shaped?
Your current bandwidth reading is:
765.50kbps
which means you can download at 95.69 KB/sec. from our servers.
My sync speeds are
Upstream 824000
Downstream 21788083

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:50 pm

shinryoku wrote:According to this thread, for the month of July, the ADSL usage resets on 14 Jul correct? i.e. if my peak quota is 75GB, it should go back to 0GB on 14 Jul, which is what I'm seeing in my online account.
Correct.
shinryoku wrote: I had been shaped earlier this month (due to the usage exceeding the pro-rataed quota between 1-13 Jul), but my connection during peak hours is still being shaped now (16 Jul).

I ran the Exetel speedtest and I'm only getting 700-800 kbps. Prior to shaping I can get over 15 Mbps. How can I check if I'm still being shaped?
Your current bandwidth reading is:
765.50kbps
which means you can download at 95.69 KB/sec. from our servers.
My sync speeds are
Upstream 824000
Downstream 21788083
Apologies for the inconvenience caused. You may power cycle the router and check the service now as it should be fine. Your reference number 8124735.

shinryoku

Post by shinryoku » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks KavindaS, my connection speed is back to normal. :D

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:19 pm

shinryoku wrote:Thanks KavindaS, my connection speed is back to normal. :D
Awesome. Glad to hear that all good from your end. :)

Chris T

Post by Chris T » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:52 pm

The detail ADSL usage page is showing usages from 14 Jul to 12 Aug today, no entry for 13 Aug (the last day of the current billing cycle) with a heading of "Usage - Data View Your Usage From 2014-07-28". So, that page is still broken.

Please do not say I can choose the start and end dates. If the detail page is not to show the details of the current billing cycle like it had been, I don't know what is that page for.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:11 am

Chris T wrote:The detail ADSL usage page is showing usages from 14 Jul to 12 Aug today, no entry for 13 Aug (the last day of the current billing cycle) with a heading of "Usage - Data View Your Usage From 2014-07-28". So, that page is still broken.

Please do not say I can choose the start and end dates. If the detail page is not to show the details of the current billing cycle like it had been, I don't know what is that page for.
As far as we can see, the usage page for ADSL under 'Services or Usage' appear to be showing the 14th of August. Since the new usage cycle has come into affect we are not able to replicate this :(