How to set up a router as a repeater?

Wired and wireless home networking
Franpa

How to set up a router as a repeater?

Post by Franpa » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:02 pm

I have a Netcomm NB16wv-02 router which is our primary router and a Netcomm NB6+4w router which I would like to configure to act as a repeater to extend the wifi signal. I'm not entirely sure of what needs to be done to operate the NB6+4w as a repeater, our existing attempts have failed and there doesn't seem to be many guides for Netcomm routers available online?

A couple questions:

1) Do I need to do anything to the NB16wv-02 router?
2) What do I need to do to the NB6+4w?
3) Do I need to use specific forms of signal encryption (Currently using WPA2 PSK)?
4) Should the repeater router be configured to use the same SSID?

And please respond with anything else that I may have overlooked or not considered as well, I've never setup a router as a repeater before. Thanks.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1080Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: How to set up a router as a repeater?

Post by Dazzled » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:00 pm

If my memory hasn't gone completely the NB6 has an ethernet WAN port on the back. You can feed by ethernet into this. You then need the device to be a pure router, so disable inconsistent line and modem functions. Decide which device is to handle DHCP (probably the modem, so the NB6 will disable server status). You can also turn the NB6 into a switch, which might be adequate, by feeding it through one of the LAN ports.

Take a look at http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/netwo ... -repeater/ The ideal solution with old routers as repeaters is to install DD-WRT open source firmware. Then you are in control. Check out youtube.

There is an easier way. See, eg, http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/index.php?cPath=105, and look up the two cheapest TP-LInks. These can be configured as Access Point, Client, Repeater, or Wireless Bridge as you fancy, and can get the incoming signal from your wireless router. Each mode has a config page that "just works".

Encryption is whatever works. WPA2 PSK is alright.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Keep in mind that I don't know anything about setting up a router as a repeater, repeater device, or switch device to act as a repeater. We do not intend to run a cable between the routers. With regards to DHCP, am I supposed to disable DHCP on the router repeater or set it to a specific value?

"inconsistent line and modem functions" I am unsure what inconsistent line functionality is, it is not mentioned in the router settings. Modem Functions I believe I can disable, when I go in to the router's repeater settings there is an option to have it operate as a "AP & Repeater" or "Repeater Only", I assume you mean to use the latter mode.

A quick google says I need to do something about MAC Addresses (Which I've located) but I am not sure if I need to enter the repeater router's MAC address in the NB16wv-02 and the NB16wv-02's mac address in to the repeater. I am also unsure if they both need to use the same SSID or wifi password etc. (I assume they would, but I dunno).
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1080Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:09 pm

Netcomm manual. p93. They have a script to do the work for you. A repeater just does that only, and becomes invisible on the network.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:49 pm

The Netcomm NB16WV-02 manual only goes up to page 88. There is a small manual provided by Netcomm that tells me how to set the device to Bridge Mode but it doesn't say how to configure the other device or if setting a device to bridge mode makes that bridged device a repeater (Or if there is more to it then simply setting it to Bridge mode).

The Netcomm userguide glosses over the Bridge configuration (Shows an image of it but provides no description of all the settings), it does show both images and descriptions of ADSL and Mobile internet configuration pages though which is odd.

The Netcomm NB+4w device either died or we simply threw it out, currently I have a D-Link Viper 2900AL Modem/Router and a Netcomm NB16WV-02 and I'd like the D-Link device to remain as the Modem/Router and for the Netcomm NB16WV to operate as a wireless WiFi Repeater.

(Sorry for the huge delay in posts)

Edit: I have a feeling the Netcomm modem/router can't be configured to act as a wireless repeater without a physical Ethernet connection to the main modem/router. We do however have a second phone line connector at the opposite end of the house so I could just connect the Netcomm to that and have it act as a modem/router which would technically boost the signal in a sense >.> (At least provide good WiFi internet at that end of the house)

I'm also getting a dedicated Repeater device for free as part of a special that D-Link have with purchases of their hardware, presumably the interface for that will be straight forward for creating a wireless repeater setup. This item hasn't arrived in the mail yet.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:51 am

Many current routers have repeating functions built in. It can usually be achieved like this:
Primary modem/router:
Note the wireless security details SSID and channel number. Put the channel at one end of the range.
Note the DHCP range assignable.

Secondary router:
Factory reset.
Go straight to wireless set up and match the primary security details. Use a different channel far from the primary router. You may optionally want to change the SSID if that is useful to your OS.
Set a fixed IP, high in the main router range outside primary DHCP allocation. Disable DHCP in this router.
Sometimes you might have to disable NAT in the router firewall. The reset may not have done this.
Save and disconnect.

Now connect an ethernet cable between LAN ports on both routers. You do not want to pass through the secondary ADSL circuit. Restart.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Dazzled wrote:Now connect an ethernet cable between LAN ports on both routers. You do not want to pass through the secondary ADSL circuit. Restart.
Yeah, I don't want a physical connection between the 2 modem/router's. I don't believe the Netcomm (Or the D-Link) support a completely wireless repeater function, I'm starting to suspect this function is largely only available on "Router" devices, not "Modem/Router's".

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:53 pm

How about ethernet over the power circuits?

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:53 pm

Dazzled wrote:How about ethernet over the power circuits?
That would involve Powerline adapters and we don't really want to spend money on them. Don't worry about it, I'll use the Repeater that's being mailed to us for one of the lounge rooms and that will be good enough.